Don't Look Up (Adam McKay) - Dicaprio, Blanchett, Lawrence, Streep, Hill, Chalamet, Cudi, Grande

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
well maybe because you felt offended by the movie because you are apart of the mindless sheep brigade in this country. your opinion on movies is definitely not to be taken serious
Nikkas gotta stop this "I'm so smart" bullshyt at the slightest hint of criticism:mjlol:

The message of this movie didn't go over nikkas heads and the shyt DOES have flaws. Pointing out the flaws don't mean nikkas didn't understand it

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think peoples reactions to satire is similar to how hip hop fans react to diss songs.

Some people like the subtle, subliminal shots where you think you know who the dude is talking about it but you could be wrong. But it makes you think and it’s fun to debate or break down the lyrics

Then you have the blatant Hit Em Up type shyt where you know exactly who the dude is talking about. Doesn’t hit you with riddles, just smacks you in the face with its message. Some people find this way too simplistic and lacking in creativity, others love the bluntness.

I think this movie was much smarter than some of the critics thought because it had a meta commentary going on. Leo’s character was told to be subtle with his message, not be crystal clear with it. He went along with it until the point where he snapped and blatantly told the public what the fukk was going on. And I think the movie’s tone mirrored his character

I get why people wanted something less on the nose but sometimes subtlety isn’t needed and you need to yell it out loud and clear. I had similar thoughts about Bamboozled which I remember got similar criticisms for its lack of subtlety. Subtlety is great but there’s also value in movies that say exactly what they want to say in a way that’s impossible to misinterpret. Big reason why I’m a fan of Spike and Oliver Stone
we don't live in subtle times, which made it ring even more true.
Exactly. Satire should be reflective of the times and this was the perfect satire for 2021
Good points

To take it even deeper I've had the recent realization that overall satire is bullshyt and often has the opposite effect when compared with it's assumed intent

Satire has to be absolutely ridiculous or risk actually becoming influential. Hell even being ridiculous it still carries the risk of influence.

I realized this recently reading the Scott Pilgrim comic of all things. It's clearly satirical but Ramona Flowers is probably the most influential character on young women in the last decade because of how cool the movie/Ramona's aesthetic is. Now you have depressed, rude, blue haired women everywhere

Satire is often a monkey paw/Pyrrhic victory because the line between it being a message or a commercial is razor thin

Last edited:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Good points

To take it even deeper I've had the recent realization that overall satire is bullshyt and often has the opposite effect when compared with it's assumed intent

Satire has to be absolutely ridiculous or risk actually becoming influential. Hell even being ridiculous it still carries the risk of influence.

I realized this recently reading the Scott Pilgrim comic of all things. It's clearly satirical but Ramona Flowers is probably the most influential character on young women in the last decade because of how cool the movie/Ramona's aesthetic is. Now you have deprrssed, rude, blue haired women everywhere

Satire is often a monkey paw/Pyrrhic victory because the line between it being a message or a commercial is razor thin

Not sure if it's similar, but I read a book that states that a problem with post-apocalyptic and dystopian SF is that while it usually aims at denouncing things it ends up making people used to those catastrophic scenarios and their often terrible management by authorities. So when something of that sort actually happens we're like "Whatever".

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
I didn’t even notice the run time, I just watched the movie.

Yall do know you can pause it, right?

and I was also doing other stuff in the background. It was a good movie. The end credit scene was especially funny and it seems like more of a warning about idiots leading a country, money controlling the presidency, greed, and the mindlessness of our population more than anything… Kinda true and hopefully a wake up call to some of the people who watch it.

I think the people who didn’t like it doesn’t believe in the message and feel as if the movie was “trying to hard” to relate to real problems in our society… But this wasn’t no speech at the end of Falcon/Winter Soldier. The dark ending really let’s reality sink in.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Agree with everyone saying it didn’t need subtlety. The satire must match the times. There’s a line in Se7en that I think about whenever I’m watching satire or a movie with commentary. If you want someone’s attention you can’t just tap them on the shoulder. You have to hit them with a fukking sledgehammer. And that was the feeling in 95 so you can triple that in 2021.

I have friends who aren’t as in tune with politics as me but they still know a little. The problem is the way they know that little: it’s whatever is fed to them through the media that does exactly what this movie says it does. Dresses things up so they either look good, sound good, or are “sold” properly. There was an actual thread on twitter from a damn journalist about the marketing of the Covid vaccine and how it needs work. That’s the world we live in and that’s the world Adam McKay is screaming at.

we’re a vapid shallow society and unless we get a whole lot smarter, I fear for the future

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not sure if it's similar, but I read a book that states that a problem with post-apocalyptic and dystopian SF is that while it usually aims at denouncing things it ends up making people used to those catastrophic scenarios and their often terrible management by authorities. So when something of that sort actually happens we're like "Whatever".
Yea that's definitely similar

We don't realize how heavily influenced we are by the fiction we consume

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I was pretty underwhelmed by this movie.

There were funny moments and while I understand the point McKay was trying to make I don't think it was done in a way that makes this movie some watershed cultural moment or puts it anywhere near the level of elite satire as a film like Dr. Strangelove.

To me Don't Look Up is just a very shallow movie that delivers its message in a very vapid way.

And I was honestly looking for more considering the talent involved.

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
I enjoyed the movie. I think some of the people saying that Idiocracy was better might be uncomfortable with the reality of the movie and missing that the 2 movies were doing different things.

Idiocracy was a reflection of where society was going and this movie is a reflection of what society is now. We are currently living through this movie on multiple issues including gun control, COVID 19 and climate change to name a few. The movie was very real.
Idiocracy was also, while being satire, an extreme take on it. The characters in that film were extraordinarily, almost impossibly stupid. And despite that fact, they weren’t like unlikable or malicious. They were just people born into a different world who mostly didn’t know better.

The characters In Don’t Look Up were more realistic in that they weren’t necessarily dumb and that’s not why the planet was in ruin. There were dumb characters, some of them very much so (like Jonah Hill’s character) but they were above all else arrogant, selfish, and greedy. That felt more grounded and real, even if surface level.

BelieveBeOK

Superstar
Daps
Good movie with some hilarious moments:

Ron Pearlman's character going on his racist ramble and dude at launch control is just like, "he's from another generation :ehh:"

"It's a course correction. It's pretty standard. I was in the Navy :smugbiden:"

Leo's wife catching him and that TV show lady but being the one who leaves the room looking like a clown :skip:

Ron Pearlman's character shooting at the commet :mjlol:

Wouldn't surprise me if Bezos and Musk were actually hatching escape plans to ditch us if shyt ever hit the fan.

Glad that Ariana Grande and Kid Cudi just made cameos. Was really apprehensive about that. I don't like Tyler Perry at all but thought he was good in his scenes.

Not gonna lie, the ending was deep. Especially the part where the newsreader was just sitting there dumbfounded as chaos broke loose in the studio. That dinner scene where they're talking about coffee and shyt whilst the room shakes hits hard too:mjcry:

7/10 for me

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good movie with some hilarious moments:

Ron Pearlman's character going on his racist ramble and dude at launch control is just like, "he's from another generation :ehh:"

"It's a course correction. It's pretty standard. I was in the Navy :smugbiden:"

Leo's wife catching him and that TV show lady but being the one who leaves the room looking like a clown :skip:

Ron Pearlman's character shooting at the commet :mjlol:

Wouldn't surprise me if Bezos and Musk were actually hatching escape plans to ditch us if shyt ever hit the fan.

Glad that Ariana Grande and Kid Cudi just made cameos. Was really apprehensive about that. I don't like Tyler Perry at all but thought he was good in his scenes.

Not gonna lie, the ending was deep. Especially the part where the newsreader was just sitting there dumbfounded as chaos broke loose in the studio. That dinner scene where they're talking about coffee and shyt whilst the room shakes hits hard too:mjcry:

7/10 for me
The most effective part of this movie is that in spite of the humor the movie becomes less funny as the inevitable end closes in

The jokes never stop but it the mood becomes progressively more :francis:

Mr Clean

Superstar
Daps
The most effective part of this movie is that in spite of the humor the movie becomes less funny as the inevitable end closes in

The jokes never stop but it the mood becomes progressively more :francis:

That dinner scene and when Leo loses his shyt on that morning show are the best in the movie. It's pretty clear where the skills of the dude who wrote it lie. The Big Short didn't go OD with the jokes and overall was a smoother ride because of it. This felt like the class clown trying to do stand up comedy because all their friends told them they were hilarious. It's a whole skill set.

The funniest joke is the bit when Jonah Hill comes to that room to get Leo and he straight throws some crackers and water on the floor all disrespectful. Then he asks JLaw if she wants to come to and already left by the time she answers :mjlol:

He probably freestyled that though