Don’ be a Sabo while chasin’ 4 rings in LA: 2021-22 GOAT franchise Boss Angeles Lakers season thread

MyApps

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Lol, I thought we was delusional but I’m seeing some brehs have flat out thrown reality in the bushes…..:russ:

Tell you what, if these idiots actually managed to pull a rabbit out of a hat and win it all this will be the most respected and revered Laker team of all time even over the most legendary Laker squads. That’s how unlikely it is that the stars will align to save our season….:russ:
That's actually what I've been saying.

If Bron wins a title this year and manages to get Russ the FMVP, Bron is the GOAT point blank period, no arguments.

With AD out again and Westbrook not at the ceremony (hes in the lab), I'm starting to think they got a chance with the current squad.

But again, they gotta let Russ be himself. It's the only way

You know how much laker fans love drama

Well, here it is. Hold on tight, cuz I think they pull it off...

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

If Bron wins a title this year and manages to get Russ the FMVP, Bron is the GOAT point blank period, no arguments.

With AD out again and Westbrook not at the ceremony (hes in the lab), I'm starting to think they got a chance with the current squad.

:laff:

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

All I’m saying if the stars align the Lakers have a chance. Let’s say Nunn and AD comes back in time for the playoffs and Bron remains healthy I like their chances. Just bench Westbrook and make smart buyout acquisitions.

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
An angle no one has considered, Magic uses this as an argument to Jeanie for why Rob should be removed. Magic has already had a not so great relationship with Rob so he might play into this power struggle.

I could see Rob/Vogel being sacrificed for Bron before the team actually trades Bron/AD.
Great point, Jeanie admitted just last week that she still consults with magic lmao

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Good article on Monk in The Athletic. Lakers tried to trade for him the last two deadlines before signing him in free agency.

Malik Monk finds redemption and home with Lakers: 'He's literally trying to kill every time he touches the floor'

Too long to post everything.

Monk’s 2021-22 season with the Lakers has been full of the moments he longed for in Charlotte: starting games, hitting clutch jumpers, playing consistent minutes, complementing star teammates.

Most of all, for the first time since the beginning of his career, Monk feels wanted.

“The Lakers just let me be me,” Monk said. “Let me play free. I’m going out there with a free mind, not worrying about a mistake, and if I’m gonna come out if I make a mistake. They just give me all the confidence to be me.”

“What makes Malik different is his spirit when he plays,” Calipari told The Athletic. “His bounce. His self-confidence. He knows he can get just about any shot off. I used to tell him, ‘Is that a good shot?’ He looked at me like, ‘If I got it off and it wasn’t blocked, it was a good shot.’ And then I started saying, ‘All right, just get them off. See how many you can make that way.’”

Monk is confident in a playful way — almost like a less eccentric Nick Young. Monk was a fan of Young’s growing up, and he recently shared that he adopted Young’s “right-arm-is-strictly-for-buckets” tattoo policy during high school. He’s always smiling and laughing.

When the clock hit 6 p.m. ET on Aug. 2, 2021, Monk received what he thought would be the first of many calls during his first free agency.

Lakers vice president of basketball operations and general manager Rob Pelinka made the initial call, reaffirming Los Angeles’ longstanding interest in acquiring Monk.

Monk was so flattered by the Lakers’ pitch, he considered signing with Los Angeles on the spot. Marcus, who is a Miami-based agent with Excel Sports Management, warned there might not be as much leaguewide interest given Monk’s reputation in Charlotte — but he also felt it was important they evaluate all of their options.

Monk viewed free agency as an opportunity to finally find a team that would prioritize his development and feature him in a clearer role. He was convinced there would be plenty of suitors with above-league-minimum offers. But as he waited, only one other team reached out to him: the Dallas Mavericks.

The Lakers remained the frontrunners because their pitch was more convincing. Monk, refusing to accept his circumstances, contemplated waiting for more suitors. But then Lakers head coach Frank Vogel called. And finally, the most important recruiter of all reached out via text: James.

“I told LeBron I wanted to wait to see my options the next day,” Monk said. “shyt, I didn’t have any options. Called the Lakers right back that second day and I said, ‘I’m coming.’”

Monk and Marcus were frustrated with Charlotte because several teams — including the Lakers in both the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons — had tried to trade for Monk over the past few years. They’d pushed the Hornets to accept the deals, particularly ahead of the 2021 trade deadline. But the Hornets refused to trade him — to the Lakers or elsewhere — claiming he was a part of their future. Then, they didn’t extend his qualifying offer or re-sign him, which further hurt his reputation around the league and partially caused him to lose out on millions of dollars.

By all accounts, Monk’s been a model citizen with the Lakers — a positive force and a beloved member of the locker room and organization.

“What I love about Malik is that he is a guy who is very confident in himself, but he’s not over-confident … and (he) has a great attitude, a great spirit,” Vogel said. “Really a refreshing guy to be around every day, and his teammates love him, the coaching staff loves him, and it’s just good to have a guy that has that type of confidence.”

The Lakers’ confidence in Monk’s potential gave him the reassurance he had been looking for in Charlotte earlier in his career. Vogel and James have both expressed that they were pushing the Lakers to acquire Monk at the 2021 trade deadline. (James referenced conversations with former assistant coach Jason Kidd, who’s now the head coach of the Mavericks, the other team that tried to sign Monk.)

“I knew that they actually wanted him there,” Marcus said. “And I saw a change in his attitude and his morale. He was just happy. So, for me, that’s when the brother side comes in.”

“LeBron has empowered him to be himself,” Marcus said. “Getting that type of nod from LeBron, it goes a long way. Malik’s (24). He’s trying to fit in. He knows that he has to earn the trust of his teammates. He’s not trying to step on anyone’s toes. … That kind of expedited everything as far as his approach to really finding himself a role with the team.”

Part of Monk’s preparation for each season is extensive film work to learn about his teammates — how he can fit on and off the ball, how they’ll complement each other, etc. The player he prepared most for, naturally, was James.

Monk studied tape of Richard Hamilton and Brandon Roy, memorizing their footwork, pace and strategies as they curled around screens and created space. He also watched NBA Finals tape of James’ two-man game with Dwyane Wade and Kyrie Irving, identifying that his aggression would be a critical component to making the dynamic work.

One of the key developments that allowed for Monk’s increased role has been his improvement defensively.

Until this season, Mock has always lived in the southeast: Arkansas, Kentucky, North Carolina. He lived in Manhattan for several months in between Kentucky and the NBA during the pre-draft process.

But he’s never experienced something like living in Los Angeles — from the gridlock traffic, to the always-sunny weather, to being a stone’s throw away from the water.

“Hell yeah, this shyt’s different,” Monk said. “Super different, man. I love it, though. I stay in the little quiet part, Marina Del Rey, right by the water too. I got my dog out here. I got one of my childhood friends out here. So I’m getting used to it now.

“My first couple months, I was kind of culture-shocked a little bit. Not even culture-shocked. It’s just different than Charlotte. And I adjusted real fast. I love it out here. I actually love it.”

Growing up, Monk heard stories from his grandfather about watching the Lakers on TV. That made donning the purple and gold for the first time a sentimental experience.

“This is the team you want to play for if you want to play basketball,” Monk said. “If you get to the NBA, the Lakers is the team, the franchise, that everybody wants to play for. And if somebody disagrees with that, I think they’re lying. I’ll call their bluff, man. But it’s an honor, man, to put this jersey on, man, and just to rep the Lakers franchise. And that’s why I try to go out there and just give it my all.”

lib123

All Star
Daps
An angle no one has considered, Magic uses this as an argument to Jeanie for why Rob should be removed. Magic has already had a not so great relationship with Rob so he might play into this power struggle.

I could see Rob/Vogel being sacrificed for Bron before the team actually trades Bron/AD.

Pelinka seems so fake and passive-aggressive. I’m very surprised that Kobe was close to him. Seems like complete opposites personality-wise.

steph_harden

Superstar
Daps
Pelinka seems so fake and passive-aggressive. I’m very surprised that Kobe was close to him. Seems like complete opposites personality-wise.

Used to have a rep as the ultimate snake as an agent too. Dude straight up went on record and lied about him and Bron and them being "aligned"

How you gon just go up there and lie voluntarily:gucci:

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Let's be real, Pelinka is an extremely smart dude in general. Not only that he could've easily parted ways with Kobe during/after Colorado. Stuck with his client, helped him rebuild his career, and consistently got Kobe the money he wanted. Dude knows how to play hardball. You know Kobe always appreciated killers. I'm not surprised at all that they were cool.

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell

All I’m saying if the stars align the Lakers have a chance. Let’s say Nunn and AD comes back in time for the playoffs and Bron remains healthy I like their chances. Just bench Westbrook and make smart buyout acquisitions.

:dwillhuh:

@Gil Scott-Heroin

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Let's be real, Pelinka is an extremely smart dude in general. Not only that he could've easily parted ways with Kobe during/after Colorado. Stuck with his client, helped him rebuild his career, and consistently got Kobe the money he wanted. Dude knows how to play hardball. You know Kobe always appreciated killers. I'm not surprised at all that they were cool.

LOL Breh you could've gotten Kobe the money he wanted.:mjlol:

Hersh

Superstar
Daps
*ray of sunlight*

isn't Vogel known as a * can't reveal hand* type coach?

if planets and stars align.. i could see us coming out the west.

lib123

All Star
Daps

Lol Kobe did way more for Rob than vice versa. Kobe was his first superstar client, there’s no way he was dropping him. Accusations or not, having Kobe Bryant as a client is a major come up. I’m sure he’s smart, but he seems like the gossipy back-stabbing type that Kobe wouldn’t rock with outside of business.