Don’ be a Sabo while chasin’ 4 rings in LA: 2021-22 GOAT franchise Boss Angeles Lakers season thread

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
Jeannie might be an idiot but everything I've ever read indicates she stays out of the basketball decisions. So that leaves Kurt Rambis, Magic Johnson, Phil Jackson, Rob Pelinka, Rich Paul, and LeBron James as your brain trust. Who from that group of people do you want making basketball decisions?

Those people making decisions is ultimately on her. Dont think any other franchise would allow Rambis and wife to make decisions. Pelinka wanted Ty Lue but the Rambis duo didn't and they have more power clearly. That is on Jeanie. If she is serious, she hires a proper FO and lets them do their job without outside interference.

Daps
Reppin
Eagle, Colorado
Those people making decisions is ultimately on her. Dont think any other franchise would allow Rambis and wife to make decisions. Pelinka wanted Ty Lue but the Rambis duo didn't and they have more power clearly. That is on Jeanie. If she is serious, she hires a proper FO and lets them do their job without outside interference.
Team has gotten away with the cronyism for years and it only started to hurt them relatively recently. Jeannie won’t put in a real front office cause a real front office is going to tell rambis to kick rocks.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Team has gotten away with the cronyism for years and it only started to hurt them relatively recently. Jeannie won’t put in a real front office cause a real front office is going to tell rambis to kick rocks.

Sounds very mom and pop shop.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
James to the media: "It was exciting helping put this team together this summer. Understanding what I felt and we all felt was going to make us a title-contending team. ... I watch enough basketball to know what I need to do to help the ball club depending on the acquisitions we make per year. So I'm very cerebral about what I need to do for our team to be as great as we can be and to be the counterpart to what Russ brings to the table. ... I always figure it out."
One final reference for @GreatestLaker

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Jeannie might be an idiot but everything I've ever read indicates she stays out of the basketball decisions. So that leaves Kurt Rambis, Magic Johnson, Phil Jackson, Rob Pelinka, Rich Paul, and LeBron James as your brain trust. Who from that group of people do you want making basketball decisions?

I still trust Pelinka. We know he wanted to do the Hield trade (not amazing but we could all see the logic) and if he wanted Lue but got overruled on that (I still think Vogel's fine), he can't be the one taking blame for this mess. His decisions have been sound.

CantStop

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Her hiring Kurt Rambis and Linda Rambis is being involved in basketball decisions.

Not to mention the ownership has been cheap on the court and off the court(medical staff).

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I still trust Pelinka. We know he wanted to do the Hield trade (not amazing but we could all see the logic) and if he wanted Lue but got overruled on that (I still think Vogel's fine), he can't be the one taking blame for this mess. His decisions have been sound.

TBH the Hield trade wouldn't fix the main problems the Lakers have. The only reason the Hield trade would have made the Lakers any better is because Westbrook wouldn't be on the team and KCP still would be. At times I've suggested getting Hield was a good idea but frankly his shooting has been uninspiring recently and his defense is ass. To succeed this season without AD, Lakers needed a decent backup PG, an elite 3-and-D, and a rim protector. Hield doesn't check those boxes (tho keeping KCP would at least have given them a better 3-and-D than they have now).

I know it would have been impossible to see the future, but landing Covington in the Blazers' pre-deadline fire sale would have been a bigger move.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
TBH the Hield trade wouldn't fix the main problems the Lakers have. The only reason the Hield trade would have made the Lakers any better is because Westbrook wouldn't be on the team and KCP still would be. At times I've suggested getting Hield was a good idea but frankly his shooting has been uninspiring recently and his defense is ass. To succeed this season without AD, Lakers needed a decent backup PG, an elite 3-and-D, and a rim protector. Hield doesn't check those boxes (tho keeping KCP would at least have given them a better 3-and-D than they have now).

I know it would have been impossible to see the future, but landing Covington in the Blazers' pre-deadline fire sale would have been a bigger move.

Right Hield is overrated but the subtraction of Westbrook would massively help this team. Westbrook and Lebron don't work on defensive on the floor at the same time and they barely work on offense together.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

I wasn't crazy about the Hield trade on its own but they'd certainly be better with him instead of Westbrick. The worst part about the Westbrick trade is it destroyed any roster flexibility when things didn't work out. Hield has a declining yearly salary too.

Also, Covington has been a so-so shooter his entire career. What he's doing with the Clippers so far is a total outlier so you can't complain about Hield's shooting this year and prop up Covington's. He was shooting 38%/34% with the Blazers. shyt happens.

Schroder still woulda been there waiting for an offer too since he had to take the mid-level with Boston. Bring him back for the low along with Caruso and they could have had a rotation of:

KCP
Hield
Caruso
LeBron
AD

with Monk, Schroder, Melo and whatever else off the bench. They'd still need one more big but that's a pretty balanced roster. Coulda played with the roster plus the 2027 first to take on Powell and Covington since Portland was giving them away.

The main thing though was Westbrook LOCKED them into the team they had with no wiggle room. There was no way out.

CantStop

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Y’all keep talking about these moves that would barely move the needle when the biggest issue is ANTHONY DAVIS. This team was built with the understanding that AD would carry this franchise like Giannis and Jokic are doing. I promise you if he was that guy, no one would give af about the other non moves.

Last edited:

seraphx

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y’all keep talking about this moves that would barely move the needle when the biggest issue is ANTHONY DAVIS. This team was built with the understanding that AD would carry this franchise like Giannis and Jokic are doing. I promise you if he was that guy, no one would give af about the other non moves.
This is true. AD has been either injured or ass for the last two years and all of his peers have seemingly passed him. I don't think anyone expected him to be this ineffective.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Y’all keep talking about this moves that would barely move the needle when the biggest issue is ANTHONY DAVIS. This team was built with the understanding that AD would carry this franchise like Giannis and Jokic are doing. I promise you if he was that guy, no one would give af about the other non moves.
True but after last season and his injury history, they need depth to handle his inevitable missed time and now LeBron's.

They were able to tread water last year without those two because they had so many good role players.