Dominican brehs, how did Dominicans feel when Sammy Sosa bleached his skin?

September

Symbol Of Excellence
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Idaho.
What I think is funny is that I never heard white dominicans say they aren't white when i asked if they are.

But I digress :lolbron:

I have. :dahell: Very often too. Non-Latino Americans are always trying to erase someones identity because they don't fit into their perception of what a Latino looks like. So you have them trying to tell a Latino what they are.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Thank God that my fam are from Jamaica and never deal with self hate.

Dominican people, why do you hate Haitians and other dark skinned Caribbean people so much?:birdman: Do you have problems with Jamaican people? @beanz @Arianne Martell

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
vybz-kartel.jpg

:sas1:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR

Dominican people, why do you hate Haitians and other dark skinned Caribbean people so much?:birdman: Do you have problems with Jamaican people? @beanz @Arianne Martell

honestly i never had beef with either myself. that island living is always what we relate to when i get to know any of them at jobs or anything like that. i work with a haitian dude now tho and i tried to be friendly with him but he a closed off dude. maybe he hates dominicans :manny: i dont blame him tho.

the dr-haiti rivalry is a border war tho not really a racial thing. when haiti took over the whole island, many dominicans actually welcomed them with open arms because the dominicans in power were so corrupt. but then haitians started trying to change our culture into theirs and the ones in charge became just as corrupt so dominicans fought back for their independence. so much bad blood and history there that its still going on today. its a ugly side of dominicans tho one i dont like.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
What I think is funny is that I never heard white dominicans say they aren't white when i asked if they are.

But I digress :lolbron:

i have to deny being white all the time. to the point i have the dominican coat of arms (center of the flag) tatted on my forearm so mothafukkas dont mistake me for a cac or, worse, a puerto rican (:troll:)

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
good vid.

couple of observations: i could follow their spanish for the most part but they spanish was maaad different than mexican/central american :dwillhuh: is the African influence? :dwillhuh: and to my Brehminicans why didn't DR develop a Creole like Haiti did?

yea i always say that. we speak a super africanized spanish. to the point that other spanish speakers kind of clown the way we speak it. we are the jamaicans of the spanish language. creole comes from french tho thats why we didnt develop it. the rivalry between the western and eastern sides of the island go all the way back to colonial times so the dominicans were always super adamant about preserving their spanish way of life versus the french way of life the haitians had.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Yet if you ask these Dominicans if they are African/Negro/Negroid they would say no too.

You dont seem to get that do you?

thats bullshyt. dominicans been repping africa for decades. i can find u merengues with an african twist all the way since the 70s.

any dominican that denies he has african roots is an idiot and most likely cant read past a 2nd grade level. and believe me we do have those too, it IS a 3rd world country after all. but the majority of dominicans rep and are super proud of our african roots. even white dominicans like juan luis guerra..

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Domincans seem to have issues. But Black people in the U.S. also have similar issues so :manny: Its like the pot calling he kettle black (no pun)

yea we have all been white washed. trujillo tried to whiten the race in the 50s to seperate us as much as he could from the haitians he hated so much. many afro dominican women have the same image issues african american women have. even in some families, people tend to treat the lighter skinned kid better than the dark skinned one. its all a product of the same systematic racism. we all the same at the end.

these arguments are purely based on the interpretation of the word black. u will find many educated people that say black = african american and u will find just as many that will say black = all people of african descent.

when u look at a country like DR, its just a case of extreme nationalism. dominicans are just among the most proud nationalities that exist. so it blurs the lines of perception when it comes to us.

at the end of the day tho, like i keep saying, any dominican that will honestly deny his african ancestry is an idiot and shouldnt be taken seriously.

Predominantly Caucasian, according to genetic testing. Euro and African are about evenly split. But the average Dominican is also like 15% Middle-Eastern/North African. Native Taino admixture is minimal.

predominantly caucasian? :usure:

:dwillhuh::snoop:

you gotta be trolling at this point

bro i had to give up. it was like arguing with a plant.

everybody watch this video if u didnt.

pretty much what it amounts to is, AAs dont understand what it is to be latin. african americans or blacks, whatever you choose to call yourselves, you guys are a group from one country. so u dont have to identify yourself as more than just a race. there are more than 20 latin american countries. all of them spanish speaking with the exception of brazil. we all have our own history and our own culture, so we fly our flags high in a manner of speaking. we are all just super nationalist. call a salvadorean mexican and u will see what i mean. our main identity is our nationality because we all share a similar composition of race. we are all either majority mulatto or majority mestizo. so all the mestizo's want to carve out their own identity and the mulattos wanted to carve out their own.

a dominican will be just as indignant at being called a puerto rican or a cuban as he would at being called black or white. not because we feel above them, its just a hyper nationalist thing.

in the same token, we are so proud of being dominican or cuban or puerto rican, that we absolutely love and adore EVERY aspect of what our culture is composed of. whether it be the european guitar or african drums that make up ALL of our music, or the asian rice and african plantains that make up our cuisine, or the american sport that we are so passionate about, or the chinese game(dominoes) that we can play for days on end.

we all love mama africa brehs lets just leave it at that and respect the differences :to:

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
bro i had to give up. it was like arguing with a plant.
More like you arguing with facts.

We are both people of this world who have access to research and much less the dictionary yet you want to come at me with perceptions and opinions of the culture like fact doesn't come before opinion.

But hey enjoy your llittle comfort lol

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
More like you arguing with facts.

We are both people of this world who have access to research and much less the dictionary yet you want to come at me with perceptions and opinions of the culture like fact doesn't come before opinion.

But hey enjoy your llittle comfort lol

i wasnt arguing fact vs opinion. i was arguing interpretations vs misinterpretations. its not a FACT that black=AA or that black=entire diaspora. even among educated blacks this can be debated. meaning it isnt about a fact, its about an interpretation of a word and its meaning. so u can beat that horse all day if u want, but it doesnt change this FACT, not everybody thinks the same way. u gonna have to wake up and learn to live with that.

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jesus fukking H Christ ....there must be a lot of stupid dumb motherfukkers that rode the short bus to school....How difficult is it to understand

Black = race

White = race

everything else is just cultural identity

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Jesus fukking H Christ ....there must be a lot of stupid dumb motherfukkers that rode the short bus to school....How difficult is it to understand

Black = race

White = race

everything else is just cultural identity

its not that tho. everybody with common sense knows dominicans have african ancestry. the issue is that some people dont like the fact we choose to identify with our nationality first and foremost. just a misunderstanding between cultures.