Dominican brehs, how did Dominicans feel when Sammy Sosa bleached his skin?

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
The timing of this thread is great because my friend sent me this earlier today

fMbjPAK.png
:lolbron:

Anyway, I understand what @Arianne Martell & @beanz mean when they speak about the difference between black=AA and black in general. It's happened to me multiple times before. Someone would ask me "are you black" and I'd say yes, then they'd hear me speak Spanish or hear my last name and they're like ":dwillhuh: I thought you said you were black" or they'll just straight up be like "oh shyt you speak Spanish? I thought you were black."

So now I just say I'm Afro-Dominican. It kills two birds with one stone. :manny:

DR has massive issues with internalized racism, but so does all of Latin America tbh. It's sad that those beliefs are still propagated by our media, government, etc.

90% of Dominican television consists of girls shaking their asses in micro shorts and everyone accepts it. But Amara, with her natural hair and her dark skin and her fat ass does the same and everyone's clutching their pearls and saying she's obscene. :pachaha:

Now tell me, what's the difference between what Amara does and what those olive skinned background dancer girls do? :sas2:
A lot of dumb people think Hispanic/Domincan/Latino etc are races. That's why.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
"Black" is used throughout the Caribbean, Europe and Latin America. Stop[/B].

Those are ethnicities.
Did I not say western culture has had an impact. Like I said earlier in the thread-the word black has been used to describe African descended people for thousands of years
But black, again is a social construct. In the modern age and the American empire driven world, black is associated with ASD culture. Thus many cultures choosing not to identify. I've heard caribbeans say "i'm not black, im (insert island)
why is this hard:beli:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
We actually embraced the whole diaspora. We didnt identify fully with America and identified more with our race and African side and the other members of the diaspora as well.

We did not call our culture THE black culture and excluded the rest of the black race from the diaspora in its definition. :patrice:

That whole era in the sixties and seventies was a push for a new identity. An identity for a people who felt they didn't have one. That identity became BLACK. Africans and caribbeans have their own countries and nationalistic/tribe identity. It was obvious it was for us

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Did I not say western culture has had an impact. Like I said earlier in the thread-the word black has been used to describe African descended people for thousands of years
But black, again is a social construct. In the modern age and the American empire driven world, black is associated with ASD culture. Thus many cultures choosing not to identify. I've heard caribbeans say "i'm not black, im (insert island)
why is this hard:beli:
So many resist being called black because they think the word doesnt exist for that right?

Then why do they also say that AAs are black? Because they embrace the word existing for a group of people.

Their logic fails and you cant even see it. :patrice:

Blackout

Daps
That whole era in the sixties and seventies was a push for a new identity. An identity for a people who felt they didn't have one. That identity became BLACK. Africans and caribbeans have their own countries and nationalistic/tribe identity. It was obvious it was for us
The push for the new identity was to embrace our African roots. Which is why instead of pushing to being called Americans only, we opted to be called African American.

There was no push to consider ourselves the only people who are black and not others of the diaspora.

Last edited:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
So many resist being called black because they think the word doesnt exist for that right?

Then why do they also say that AAs are black? Because they embrace the word existing for a group of people.

Their logic fails and you cant even see it. :patrice:

:mindblown: wtf are you talking about

Everybody knows it exist. And most associate it with Americans. Americans are the only ones who go hard on the word. To the point we don't even add nothing on to it sometimes. Not even black-American sometimes. Again the word black is not a generic term meant to represent all blacks anymore. And people are TELLING YOU they don't indentify because that:dahell:

Blackout

Daps
:mindblown: wtf are you talking about

Everybody knows it exist. And most associate it with Americans. Americans are the only ones who go hard on the word. To the point we don't even add nothing on to it sometimes. Not even black-American sometimes. Again the word black is not a generic term meant to represent all blacks anymore. And people are TELLING YOU they don't indentify because that:dahell:
It is a term to represent all black people. I dont know why you dont get that.

Americans and even many of those not american that Ive met when using black they call all Africans and descendants black.

What its used for hasnt changed. I dont know why you and various others want it changed but it hasnt changed at all.

You say that you only see Americans use it yet you say that only AAs are black.

Saying only AAs are black is using it. :childplease:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
The timing of this thread is great because my friend sent me this earlier today

fMbjPAK.png
:lolbron:

Anyway, I understand what @Arianne Martell & @beanz mean when they speak about the difference between black=AA and black in general. It's happened to me multiple times before. Someone would ask me "are you black" and I'd say yes, then they'd hear me speak Spanish or hear my last name and they're like ":dwillhuh: I thought you said you were black" or they'll just straight up be like "oh shyt you speak Spanish? I thought you were black."

So now I just say I'm Afro-Dominican. It kills two birds with one stone. :manny:

DR has massive issues with internalized racism, but so does all of Latin America tbh. It's sad that those beliefs are still propagated by our media, government, etc.

90% of Dominican television consists of girls shaking their asses in micro shorts and everyone accepts it. But Amara, with her natural hair and her dark skin and her fat ass does the same and everyone's clutching their pearls and saying she's obscene. :pachaha:

Now tell me, what's the difference between what Amara does and what those olive skinned background dancer girls do? :sas2:

:dead: @ that pic

Idk about amara la negra having any static cause I don't live in DR and never even heard of her past the coli, but when I was there in August I watched some TV and I did see some black women on variety shows. Overall tho, Dr media does suffer from the same racist problems all media in the western world does. Not just with blacks either, my mom has always watched these novelas that take place in Mexico and u never ever see any indigenous Mexicans. If u do, they are the maid or the drunk or the criminals.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
The push for the new identity was to embrace our African roots. Which is why instead of pushing to being called Americans only, we opted to be called African American.

There was no push to consider ourselves the only people who are black and not others of the diaspora.
It was a push to find our identity in the states. Afrocentric styled revolution wasn't a thing until later on, like in the eighties/nineties. Im talking seventies when BLACK became a thing
The seventies Blaxploitation era was indeed a "black" movement. You not even getting your eras right

African American was a word made up by jesse Jackson, and like I said backfired . It was never relevant to blacks on a cultural level just a PC level." BLACK" was though

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
NALoNXa.jpg

The Dominicans reaction to Sammy Sosa bleaching his skin

:heh: a Sammy public sighting is rare because he gets clowned so hard all over DR. All Dominicans think we comedians too so we don't let up. My pops says Sammy looks like he gonna live forever drinking the blood of young minor leaguers :dead:

Blackout

Daps
It was a push to find our identity in the states. Afrocentric styled revolution wasn't a thing until later on, like in the eighties/nineties. Im talking seventies when BLACK became a thing
The seventies Blaxploitation era was indeed a "black" movement. You not even getting your eras right

African American was a word made up by jesse Jackson, and like I said backfired . It was never relevant to blacks on a cultural level just a PC level." BLACK" was though
The term African American came from our interest in Africa. We could of pushed for something without Africa in the name but instead we used African.

Our culture always had us embracing our African Ancestry as a branch not as a source so we did not consider the term black exclusive to AA culture lol.