Dominican brehs, how did Dominicans feel when Sammy Sosa bleached his skin?

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Yet if you ask these Dominicans if they are African/Negro/Negroid they would say no too.

You dont seem to get that do you? :russ:

Well apparently the same story with "black". But im not Dominican so I couldn't tell you. Almost all who identify with "Black" are influenced by American culture. Like the kids in that video dude posted. Kid even said he was a N*GGA to emphasize it :sas1:

Being "black" is not a thing in a lot of diasporic countries, that's why they don't claim it. You need to get out more

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Well apparently the same story with "black". But im not Dominican so I couldn't tell you. Almost all who identify with "Black" are influenced by American culture. Like the kids in that video dude posted. Kid even said he was a N*GGA to emphasize it :sas1:

Being "black" is not a thing in a lot of diasporic countries, that's why they don't claim it. You need to get out more
Wrong.

If "black" wasnt a thing to them they wouldnt say that AAs are black. They would say nobody is black because "black" doesnt exist.

But instead they say AAs are "black" and not them so your logic fails.

You need to smarten up and listen to what they are saying. :sas2:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Wrong.

If "black" wasnt a thing to them they wouldnt say that AAs are black. They would say nobody is black because "black" doesnt exist.

But instead they say AAs are "black" and not them so your logic fails.

You need to smarten up and listen to what they are saying. :sas2:

:snoop: Black is a thing fueled by the west and western culture and black American. Are you this dense to realize there's a reason a lot of caribbeans,latins and Africans don't identify as such. That when the Dominican kid said black he authenticated it by using the gga version of the n-word which again is black American culture:what:

Blackout

Daps
:snoop: Black is a thing fueled by the west and western culture and black American. Are you this dense to realize there's a reason a lot of caribbeans,latins and Africans don't identify as such. That when the Dominican kid said black he authenticated it by using the gga version of the n-word which again is black American culture:what:
Are you dunce to not know what black means?

Either your believe it should exist or not. Either you entertain the word or not.

If you or anybody thinks that AAs are black then the person obviously believes that the word exists and they are using it wrong. :dahell:

September

Symbol Of Excellence
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Idaho.
The timing of this thread is great because my friend sent me this earlier today

fMbjPAK.png
:lolbron:

Anyway, I understand what @Arianne Martell & @beanz mean when they speak about the difference between black=AA and black in general. It's happened to me multiple times before. Someone would ask me "are you black" and I'd say yes, then they'd hear me speak Spanish or hear my last name and they're like ":dwillhuh: I thought you said you were black" or they'll just straight up be like "oh shyt you speak Spanish? I thought you were black."

So now I just say I'm Afro-Dominican. It kills two birds with one stone. :manny:

DR has massive issues with internalized racism, but so does all of Latin America tbh. It's sad that those beliefs are still propagated by our media, government, etc.

90% of Dominican television consists of girls shaking their asses in micro shorts and everyone accepts it. But Amara, with her natural hair and her dark skin and her fat ass does the same and everyone's clutching their pearls and saying she's obscene. :pachaha:

Now tell me, what's the difference between what Amara does and what those olive skinned background dancer girls do? :sas2:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Are you dunce to not know what black means?

Either your believe it should exist or not.

If you or anybody thinks that AAs are black then the person obviously believes that the word should exist and they are using it wrong. :dahell:

You are the one that thinks black is a real word and not a social construct. You are under estimating the impact the American empire influence had on the word and race relations around the world. Black in the modern context is associated with americans. We chose BLACK, a relatively dormant term especially compared to negro/colored, at the time to be our cultural and social identity. When in reference to Black Culture or something being black. Its always under the American context. Its not an all encompassing thing, other cultures realize that and act accordingly. Again Dominicans are not black

Blackout

Daps
You are the one that thinks black is a real word and not a social construct. You are under estimating the impact the American empire influence had on the word and race relations around the world. Black in the modern context is associated with americans. We chose BLACK, a relatively dormant term especially compared to negro/colored, at the time to be our cultural and social identity. When in reference to Black Culture or something being black. Its always under the American context. Its not an all encompassing thing, other cultures realize that and act accordingly. Again Dominicans are not black
Black is a word with an actual meaning and its meaning when it comes to race is those of negroid/African ancestry in which Afro-Dominicans are apart of. What you or others think it should mean has no effect on the actual meaning of the word.

If you dont believe in the term then fine but saying that AAs are black when you dont believe in the term is hypocritical.

Black culture references those all over the diaspora not just us AAs. Smarten up.

You are giving America too much power to where you and them falsely think its only attributed to African Americans when according to the actual meaning of the word that is false. Its a word for those from Africa and African descent. If you entertain the word then use it the right way or live your live living a lie.

Last edited:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Black is a word with an actual meaning and its meaning is those of negroid/African ancestry in which Afro-Dominicans are apart of. What you or others think it should mean has no effect on the actual meaning of the word.

You are giving America too much power to where you and them falsely think its only attributed to African Americans when according to the actual meaning of the word that is false. Its a word for those from Africa and African descent. If you believe it exists then use it the right way or live your live living a lie.

I don't know what part of social construct, you don't understand
Yes BLACK has a meaning, and for the last 40-50 years or so that meaning has been associated with American black culture.
There is absolutely nothing etched in stone of black meaning race. This is why a lot of non-americans don't identify.
Because the word is so heavily associated with culture(AA), that its lost its meaning as an identifier for a RACE. This is what your not getting

Blackout

Daps
I don't know what part of social construct, you don't understand
Yes BLACK has a meaning, and for the last 40-50 years or so that meaning has been associated with American black culture.
There is absolutely nothing etched in stone of black meaning race. This is why a lot of non-americans don't identify.
Because the word is so heavily associated with culture(AA), that its lost its meaning as an identifier for a RACE. This is what your not getting
Based on that where you dont focus on race at all and only focus on nationality then you wouldnt even call AAs black either.

We would just be AAs.

This half ass I dont believe in black as a race thought yet I still consider AAs as black is hypocritical because of that.

You either entertain race or you dont.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Based on that where you dont focus on race at all and only focus on nationality then you wouldnt even call AAs black either.

We would just be AAs.

This half ass I dont believe in black as a race yet I still consider AAs as black is hypocritical.

How would it be half assed if both are interchangeable? AA is just a PC term that Jesse Jackson came up with
And it backfired. We actually embraced BLACK together as a culture. I try to avoid using AA

Blackout

Daps
How would it be half assed if both are interchangeable? AA is just a PC term that Jesse Jackson came up with
And it backfired. We actually embraced BLACK together as a culture. I try to avoid using AA
We actually embraced the whole diaspora. We didnt identify fully with America and identified more with our race and African side and the other members of the diaspora as well.

We did not call our culture THE black culture and excluded the rest of the black race from the diaspora in its definition. :patrice:

Last edited:

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
"Black" is used throughout the Caribbean, Europe and Latin America. Stop.

All @K.O.N.Y is saying is race is a social construct

When you look at Nigeria's census, do you see black? No.

You see Hausa, Fulani, Yoruba, Igbo, Ijaw, Kanuri, Ibibio, Tiv etc
Those are ethnicities.