Dominican brehs, how did Dominicans feel when Sammy Sosa bleached his skin?

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
What's the confusion about? I just described to you what a Jabao looks like. If you're a Jabao yourself then that basically means you're just a lightskin nikka. That's how people will perceive you. You have the right to call yourself whatever the fukk you want, but that doesn't change how people will perceive you.

And what does calling yourself "mixed" have to do with being in America? Most Dominicans are "ligao" with different races, so that's what you are. I thought you only had a problem with people seeing you as "black", but now you don't even wanna be called "mixed"? You guys really make yourselves easy targets for ridicule.

the only thing i have a problem with is anybody trying to dictate to me how i should identify myself to the generic "what are u?" question. this is what its basically all about. i say again,

"what are u?"

"dominican"

"c00n u black"

only in the US does that make sense.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
most black Dominicans in this country I know never suffered the same discrimination as black Americans because they spoke Spanish and acted like immigrants. They weren't in denial of themselves, they just weren't African American which is its own thing.
Stop & frisk never happened?:troll:

Being labeled drug criminals never happened, therefore giving the police the right to not obey your civil rights?

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Its not exactly that its just that being mixed you are less likely to be affected by colorism matters that black people go through.

i never went thru any discrimination in DR thats true, but i went thru the same discrimination here that all immigrants face. so im not some ignorant white boy from the suburbs talking shyt from my 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house.

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
I'm not comparing the two, you wrote because they are struggling for food, they don't have time to deal with racism, and I'm explaining that same reason is why blacks here went through a civil rights movement.

Lets just forget it. I got the answer I needed.

It's over for us as a race:to:

AA went through the CRM and because you live in the US you have more opportunities available to you than Dominicans living in DR.

Do you know that the security of your job in DR depends on which political party you are affiliated with? for instance, right now PLD is the seating party (the president is from this party)...say I am affiliated with this party...if next elections PRD wins, I will be fired from my job so that the PRD party can hook up their people...and that is just one example of how it is. :manny:

no one is obligated to follow the US model society...I hope one day DR is a better place but a lot of cleansing has to be done...

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
i never went thru any discrimination in DR thats true, but i went thru the same discrimination here that all immigrants face. so im not some ignorant white boy from the suburbs talking shyt from my 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house.
Im not denying that.

Its just that you will still be unaffected by colorism issues because of you being mixed.

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
And what does calling yourself "mixed" have to do with being in America? Most Dominicans are "ligao" with different races, so that's what you are. I thought you only had a problem with people seeing you as "black", but now you don't even wanna be called "mixed"? You guys really make yourselves easy targets for ridicule.

It's not about not wanting to be called mixed or black. It's the fact that he's Dominican. If you ask people, I'm sure they have no problem getting into their history and telling you what you want to know, but other than that he's Dominican. I'm "ligao" as you say, but I'm Dominican. I acknowledge my European and African ancenstry. I have talks with both of my parents asking where their families came from, but we're Dominican. It has nothing to do with race I don't understand why that's so hard to understand.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
AA went through the CRM and because you live in the US you have more opportunities available to you than Dominicans living in DR.

Do you know that the security of your job in DR depends on which political party you are affiliated with? for instance, right now PLD is the seating party (the president is from this party)...say I am affiliated with this party...if next elections PRD wins, I will be fired from my job so that the PRD party can hook up their people...and that is just one example of how it is. :manny:

no one is obligated to follow the US model society...I hope one day DR is a better place but a lot of cleansing has to be done...
Still no excuse. Look up the gullah wars, which helped blacks become free from SLAVERY. If you are being treated wrong, you fight for your rights. But, I just have to except everyone doesn't think like that, just like you just wrote. Peace.

Blackout

Daps
Truth. My skin is light. I have curly/slightly nappy hair. I'm obviously not a white European, but I'm not black either. My family traces back from Spain, Canary Islands, France, and Haiti. Like Beanz said, there's no white side or black side in my family. There are light people and dark people but as Dominicans, we all identify as Hispanic. Whether some people want to acknowledge their ancestry is another thing entirely/
This ties into what I said before.

When your mixed you are more focused on nationality more.

Dominicans mixed a lot so their general focus on nationality more was the result.

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
Stop & frisk never happened?:troll:

Being labeled drug criminals never happened, therefore giving the police the right to not obey your civil rights?

I'm talking about the whole chinese people following you through the store saying hurry up and buy shyt. White women clutching their purses when you walk by. Dominicans from D.R. dress tacky as hell you'd know they weren't from here.

Stop & frisk doesn't just affect dark people it targests neighborhoods. 115 precinct is one of the top 5 for stop & frisk and the area they patrol is equal parts black as it is hispanic. Are the colombian kids they stop just exceptions to the rule? No, they live where they live. You don't gotta be black to get shat on by police.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Im not denying that.

Its just that you will still be unaffected by colorism issues because of you being mixed.

that may be true but black dominicans face more racism in the US then they do back home. back home its haitians that get the brunt of the racism(wrongfully so, i actually hate this side of my country). a black dominican will get a job 10 times faster and easier than a more qualified haitian. a black dominican can walk down the block with a white dominican woman and nobody bats an eye unless they find out he's haitian.

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Not derail but is Canary
Truth. My skin is light. I have curly/slightly nappy hair. I'm obviously not a white European, but I'm not black either. My family traces back from Spain, Canary Islands, France, and Haiti. Like Beanz said, there's no white side or black side in my family. There are light people and dark people but as Dominicans, we all identify as Hispanic. Whether some people want to acknowledge their ancestry is another thing entirely/

Not to derail but is Canary/gauche ancestry really that large in the Caribbean? I hear a lot of Caribbean people claiming that Ancestry but for most part they score low in the North African part on DNA test. It could be half of a spanish score and half of a north african score, which could be the canary ancestry.

Blackout

Daps
that may be true but black dominicans face more racism in the US then they do back home. back home its haitians that get the brunt of the racism(wrongfully so, i actually hate this side of my country). a black dominican will get a job 10 times faster and easier than a more qualified haitian. a black dominican can walk down the block with a white dominican woman and nobody bats an eye unless they find out he's haitian.
I am aware of the Haitian vs Dominican thing.

Blackout

Daps
But I am not mixed and I identify with my nationality first and foremost...so explain that.
Because a society is most affected by whoever is in control and the majority in control in DR is mixed based on what Ive seen so everybody else follows along.

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
Not derail but is Canary

Not to derail but is Canary/gauche ancestry really that large in the Caribbean? I hear a lot of Caribbean people claiming that Ancestry but for most part they score low in the North African part on DNA test. It could be half of a spanish score and half of a north african score, which could be the canary ancestry.

I honestly couldn't tell you. I was born in the U.S. and really only know things from family I've met/family I've heard about. My father told me his grandmother on his mothers side was black as coal and that generation of his side of my family were all immigrants. I'm just assuming she was some sort of African.