Does the mayor of Baltimore have a point?

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
To be fair to him, how is one person supposed to stop this?
What policy is going to prevent all of this?

Mayor Scott is getting a lot of heat because he said he would reduce the murder rate by 15% in his first year. I get the criticism but people are expecting miracles.
How about step outside of the liberal box for a second and try something new? It’s ridiculous to continue boxing yourself in because of politics when it comes to life or death.

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
Do you really think the right has a solution to this?

You contrarians are ridiculous

The solution is to enforce the laws on the books. I don't like mandatory sentences. I think Judges should have the discretion to impose the sentences they feel are appropriate.

Repeat violent offenders need to be punished, not given reduced bail, not let out on the streets while they await trial. Juveniles who repeatedly commit violent offenses can't continue to get slaps on the wrist.
I know some of the the people on the "criminal justice reform" side have good intentions but the execution of their policies has been poor and just gives their critics ammo.

Marilyn Mosby just lost her election in part to being "soft" on crime and the murder rate increasing. The man who beat her, Ivan Bates, has sounded good in his interviews. Seems like you need to take a balanced approach. He will need some help but maybe things can slowly turn around.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
But believing that violent crime occurs because of "lack of economic opportunity" =/= disagreeing with his point.

You make it sound as if people who promote those ideas are inherently against the punishing of criminals...
Punishing criminals seems like common sense, but there is an element that has openly questioned "the point of incarceration" Even for violent crimes. Have read their writings over the years, and bits of their stances have found their way on this forum by members who see them as thought leaders.
To that element, and those voices, the mayor's comments will be controversial.

Their editorials are being typed as we speak and will be published in the coming days and weeks

saturn7

Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
How about step outside of the liberal box for a second and try something new? It’s ridiculous to continue boxing yourself in because of politics when it comes to life or death.

I don't disagree with that. My issues is he is still ONE MAN. He is a mayor not a dictator so he will need some help implementing different policies.

TMBlue

Pro
Daps
To be fair to him, how is one person supposed to stop this?
What policy is going to prevent all of this?

Mayor Scott is getting a lot of heat because he said he would reduce the murder rate by 15% in his first year. I get the criticism but people are expecting miracles.

He made those claims. He shouldn't have put that expectation out there. He won based on those lofty expectations. But he doesn't have an answer for absolutely ANYTHING, asking officers to stand down when they see something like squeegee boys, who are already engaging in an illegal activity, but assaulting, stealing, vandalizing people's property... people are gonna wanna know what is he doing about anything exactly.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
What am I being a contrarian about?

When did I say the right had the answers?

Yall got to stop with this putting words in people's mouths because you catch feelings.

Lefties are not perfect but Righties are trying to disenfranchise Black people in all arenas.

Especially in the financial and employment arenas.

Judge reverses Trump-era HMDA rule, forcing small mortgage lenders to comply

Discriminatory Practices Leave Black Americans With Less Life Insurance - NerdWallet

The Trump Administration’s Final Rule on Section 1557 Non-Discrimination Regulations Under the ACA and Current Status

The Trump administration finalizes rule attacking federal workers’ right to union representation in workplace discrimination cases

The Right literally are the party of white nationalism they reject anything that would lead to Black progress.

TMBlue

Pro
Daps
There are none.

Edit: None that are economically popular or ethically popular.

Exactly! He pissing off everybody, and crime is still high. At least do something unpopular to make the city safer.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because illegal immigrants have companies ready to exploit their labor for cheap.

If that was not the case we would see a massive crime spike from them.

Back when the Irish started to immigrate to the US in the 1850's they were vastly over represented in arrest in New York.

Astonishing statistics about ethnicity and criminal justice in New York — from the 1850s

They just got here this year. You have illegals being dumped in cities where its already lack of resources and high crime rates. Y'all already complaining about the homelessness with american citizens and you believe that the current illegals are going to take that same path the Irish did over 200 years ago?

Sorry to tell you but its going to be different this time. Nikkas in these cities better buckle up.

saturn7

Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman

Why did you waste time typing this?
You are preaching to the choir.

The point of that vid (at least to me) is that Lefties and Democrats are afraid to address crime because they fear being called "racist". Meanwhile Black folks are bearing the brunt of this crime and especially murder. Wanting this addressed doesn't make you Newt Gingrich.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
The solution is to enforce the laws on the books. I don't like mandatory sentences. I think Judges should have the discretion to impose the sentences they feel are appropriate.

Repeat violent offenders need to be punished, not given reduced bail, not let out on the streets while they await trial. Juveniles who repeatedly commit violent offenses can't continue to get slaps on the wrist.
I know some of the the people on the "criminal justice reform" side have good intentions but the execution of their policies has been poor and just gives their critics ammo.

Marilyn Mosby just lost her election in part to being "soft" on crime and the murder rate increasing. The man who beat her, Ivan Bates, has sounded good in his interviews. Seems like you need to take a balanced approach. He will need some help but maybe things can slowly turn around.

I'm not against punishing criminals harshly but that will not have a long term impact.

The only way that this gets better if you make discrimination against the bottom caste prohibitive.

You need extremely harsh anti discrimination laws and you need massive economic "out reach".

A national apprenticeship program and/or a grant program that gives people money towards businesses(5k-10k).

Something imaginative.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
Why did you waste time typing this?
You are preaching to the choir.

The point of that vid (at least to me) is that Lefties and Democrats are afraid to address crime because they fear being called "racist". Meanwhile Black folks are bearing the brunt of this crime and especially murder. Wanting this addressed doesn't make you Newt Gingrich.

You are falling for a BS republican trap.

Fani Willis is Democrat and she addresses crime and so does Democrats across the country.

Again Democrats are not anywhere close to perfect but parroting Republican talking points helps nothing.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
In many of these cities with high homicide rates people were dying over dumb shyt before the Pandemic. Covid ain't the cause of this.

These motherfukkers want to commit violence, not because they are underprivileged but because they WANT TO and they don't fear the consequences.

Thats very oversimplified. But at this point enjoy the zoo within the zoo. Nobody cares about life,people are tired. Murder is a consequence of that,and jail is the karma.

What he said was real,as in real redundant:mjlol:.
Seems out of touch,as if people havent always been dying over dumb shyt. He doesnt have a plan,and nothing will change by his hand,if I was a guessing man.