Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
New York didn't make trunk rattling music???? The whole 80s New York Rap scene was nothing but 808. That's all it was about. Especially in Queens when they had The Showboys Drag Rap Triggerman sound going that New Orleans later took which helped create bounce music. There wouldn't even be a 808 in Hip Hop if it wasn't for New York producers.

Bruh you know as well as I do the difference between this and any of the west coast and southern examples I already posted. "Drag Rap" has a kick but it's not demanding your attention, the song doesn't even have a bass line.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Of course in most cases that would be true but In this case when you're Americanized and operating under another dominant culture/influence, whatever culture your parents came from, ceases to exist. In this case, Herc was playing Afam music, using Afram slang, Afram dressing styles etc...so that's why he didn't exude anything distinctly Jamaican in what he was doing.

:jbhmm:

ovmJA8A.jpg

5hC8Hr0.jpg

his friends couldn't tell he was Jamaican...I wonder why?:skip::pachaha:

jHDOQMy.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
That's true, and you know what, Chicago nikkas reminded me NYC nikkas. It used to trip me out how we seemed to gel with each other, they just had more southern to their talk and more into gangs. Everywhere else, we were different. Still cool with each other, at least on my part, but still different.

You made me think of Commons "Resurrection" video. It's very NY

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Nope. Nyc isn't disconnected from other north east cities with minuscule Caribbean populations like Philly. And the influence of those cultures isn't all that big, this ain't London or Totonto. Gs9 were West Indian and indistinguishable from kids from Bed stuy who are African american, same thing with Ricans from bush wick. Dominicans are pretty much the only ones who don't assimilate culturally. Nyc is just an alpha city different from 90% of the country.
The bold is bullshyt the rest I agree with

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
The four elements of Hip Hop culture:
1. Deejaying
2. MC'ing
3. Graffiti art
4. Breakdancing

DJ Kool Herc, Afrika Bambaataa, and Grandmaster Flash only contributed to Deejaying element of Hip Hop.

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
The biggest lie in hip hop history is that rapping derived from Jamaican toasting. Rapping already existed in African American communties before Jamaicans immigranted to the United States. The Jamaican style of toasting is heavily influenced by African Americans.

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
I'm sorry, but reggae and dancehall music did NOT birth Hip Hop. If you listen to sugarhill records and enjoy records which produce the first hip hop songs. There is no Jamaican or Caribbean influence.

Kanika

Rookie
Daps
DJ Kook Herc tried to play reggae music at his parties, but the people who attended his parties didn't want to listen to reggae music at that time, they wanted to listen to Disco, Funk, and Soul music.

DreadBrown

Feed the children
Daps
@Kanika why you going so hard?

The biggest lie in hip hop history is that rapping derived from Jamaican toasting. Rapping already existed in African American communties before Jamaicans immigranted to the United States. The Jamaican style of toasting is heavily influenced by African Americans.

This is total fukkery

The fact you keep saying toast shows you're on some revisionist shyt. How old are you?

Rapping and DEEJAYing both come from the mic man/selector dynamic. Dancehall and rap music are mirror images of each other.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
@Kanika why you going so hard?

This is total fukkery

The fact you keep saying toast shows you're on some revisionist shyt. How old are you?

Rapping and DEEJAYing both come from the mic man/selector dynamic. Dancehall and rap music are mirror images of each other.
nothing revisionist about what she said.

And dancehall wasnt around when hip hop was created. Hip hop is comparable to funk and disco not early 70's reggae:ufdup: