Does Size matter in a fight? Mighty Mouse submitting 260lb man in OP

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I think weight matters more if grappling is involved. All the skill in the world won't help a 120 lb judoka against a 275-lb gym rat with zero fighting experience.

:why:

Breh, smaller guys outgrappling bigger guys is literally the MMA origin story.

And that's against actual fighters with training and skills. If we were talking actual untrained "gym rats", a sufficiently skilled BJJ practitioner of literally any size could beat them.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
big wit no skills.. vs lil with skills

big with skills vs lil with no skills

92875b0c-714f-42e2-a8bb-6f89c74416d6_text.gif

theres only one place ...you haven't looked and there only there .....

darryl

Superstar
Daps
Do y'all spar? Have y'all gotten punched in the face or liver by a smaller dude? I don't think their punches are weak like y'all claim them to be, especially if there's 130lbs behind those punches and especially to someone not used to taking a punch.

I'm putting my money on the gym rat amateur 130lb boxer all day everyday.
You probably think floyd mayweather can beat up mark henry. Stfu.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Do y'all spar? Have y'all gotten punched in the face or liver by a smaller dude? I don't think their punches are weak like y'all claim them to be, especially if there's 130lbs behind those punches and especially to someone not used to taking a punch.

I'm putting my money on the gym rat amateur 130lb boxer all day everyday.
I don't think most of the people on this forum have ever sparred with anyone ever.
I have personally seen more short brehs get busy with their hands successfully. They are always aggy and act like they have something to prove.
As a short breh we have to learn how to fight early. Can't rely on size to scare people.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
How come flloyd always hires giant bodyguards, and not some little dudes with hands?
You can't win by decision in real life
Probably to form a wall vs crowds.

We talking 1v1 no holds barred that shyt really doesn't matter. A thumb to the eye is a thumb to the eye or a solid shin to the nuts by a 100 lber will clobber a 230 lbs. shredded fighter the same. No rules in a real fight.

No one is going to judge you how you won if it's legit life or death.

If you really want to talk real life all or nothing, that's why they invented weapons.

So now I ask, why do big bodyguards walk around with weapons if they can take people on with their hands?

Last edited:

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Like how weights actually beat calisthenics for getting your size up, having size on an opponent matters. I can be as skilled as I want but in fighting, you are always one lucky punch away from seeing stars.

A 130lb puncher isn't going to rock and sockem like a 200lb desperation overhand. I speak as a short-gang member.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Good takes here for BJJ as well. Length can help with your reach and grabbing someone, but:
Height/length inhibits how well you can fit into tight spaces. As has been said, every body time is uniquely suited to certain situations, and disadvantaged in others. There is no one perfect build for BJJ

source- 6'4"
I'm 6'5", 185. For me advantages include: Long legs are great for playing guard, harder for people to break guard. Spider guard is good because your long legs can really unbalance people. Situp sweeps are really good because you can hit very high up on their chest with your hips. Tougher in general for people to get around your legs. Standing up inside closed guard is good when the other person can't reach the ground. Good for getting triangles.

Disadvantages: Side control in general causes me problems, top and bottom. From top, the space between my knee and my hip is very long, so it's easier for someone shorter to work their knees inside to replace guard. Conversely, when I'm on the bottom I need to create a ton of space to get my knee in. My arms are very long, people like to armbar me. I have a long skinny neck which is very chokeable.

I'm sure there are other things, lots of moves work differently depending on your body mechanics.
It's why when you're watching MMA someone has better escapability that can turn the situation around instantaneously than others. I can't watch it because it looks real sus sometimes, but I can appreciate the skills and understand the dynamics. I've seen a lot of short and flexible people become basically way too slippery on the ground.

Again, fight IQ wins fights. Who can make the other person fight their fight. Same goes for dog fights with fighter jets. Like some fighter pilots have said, if the general public knew about the trillions of dollars of "dead" advanced fighters during dog fight training runs they'd probably lose their shyt. Right pilot feeling good on their given day is dropping more advanced jets like nothing when the other pilot can't work their advantage. Granted, Top Gun type of duels like this don't really happen anymore.

Last edited:

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
Size matters but that example ain't it. Being an obese middleweight will do more harm than good.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
If skill level is similar yes, if it is not it don’t matter.

A 130 lb boxer or grappler will clobber a 220 lber.

Professional? Most certainly but Ive only boxed ammy and though Im def pretty skilled objectively speaking I dont think my power travels 90 lbs lol.

Now if its a prolonged type of thing then yea they gonna gas way before and then get beat up if they dont have no training