Does Red Dead Redemption 2 actually have a good story? *spoilers*

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
From the moment that dude coughed on him I knew what it was.

He was gonna catch the rona and have a change in heart, to stop being a scumbag for hire for Dutch.

After that I was just waiting for it to happen. It made me dislike Arthur as a character cause he seemed dumb and a sucker for going along with Dutch’s crap for so long knowing it was all bad.

Exactly you play the entire game as a mindless lackey that eventually get discarded like trash in the end

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
From the moment that dude coughed on him I knew what it was.

He was gonna catch the rona and have a change in heart, to stop being a scumbag for hire for Dutch.

After that I was just waiting for it to happen. It made me dislike Arthur as a character cause he seemed dumb and a sucker for going along with Dutch’s crap for so long knowing it was all bad.

I think the moment arthur stood up to dutch was a great turning point for the character... i think he went along with the shyt for so long is because in the lore dutch was like their surrogate father and had them in the gang when they was teenagers..:francis:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I think the moment arthur stood up to dutch was a great turning point for the character... i think he went along with the shyt for so long is because in the lore dutch was like their surrogate father and had them in the gang when they was teenagers..:francis:

Yep, by the time the camp was in this area, they dragged the damn story too far.

It's not even the problem of it being an open world game. Just Rockstar got full of themselves.

The end of the main story was amazing actually.

RDR2 biggest problem--storywise--is pacing.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

But he still went along with this dumb shyt.

He never really stood up for himself or what he knew was right till Dutch literally pointed a gun at him :francis:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY

He never really stood up for himself or what he knew was right till Dutch literally pointed a gun at him :francis:

idk what to say Arthur was trying to play both sides and even then at the end...:francis: i was like damn this dude was loyal ASF....

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

we need to stick to the plan!
maxresdefault.jpg

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

Well that's part of the reason a lot of people grew to like Arthur. He was a soldier and he was loyal to his mans whether right or wrong he was gon ride. He just gave his loyalty to the wrong nikka.

Towards the end when he started to figure Dutch out he only went along with it because he wanted to find a way to get everybody out, not just himself.

I feel like if you didn't like him for that, you didn't really put yourself in the shoes of the character. :yeshrug:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Well that's part of the reason a lot of people grew to like Arthur. He was a soldier and he was loyal to his mans whether right or wrong he was gon ride. He just gave his loyalty to the wrong nikka.

Towards the end when he started to figure Dutch out he only went along with it because he wanted to find a way to get everybody out, not just himself.

I feel like if you didn't like him for that, you didn't really put yourself in the shoes of the character. :yeshrug:

this is Arthur pretty much

493e74512a47ac2d1b5489f70bfcf39c.jpg

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The story was never the problem. They could have trimmed the fat with the island part though.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Nothing commendable about being blindly loyal to a clear psychopath, especially well after he realized dude was crazy. I can see if it all just snowballed in a couple missions but Arthur (and me as the player) knew it from early on in the game, and you had to just continually watch Arthur play dumb an run himself into ruin. Made me upset at him and made him come off as weak. He could have and should have stood up to Dutch long before he did and the crew and families would have been much better off.

Like I said it just felt like we were all waiting for the inevitable for like 15 hours of gameplay. Made the story feel like a drag.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Nothing commendable about being blindly loyal to a clear psychopath, especially well after he realized dude was crazy. I can see if it all just snowballed in a couple missions but Arthur (and me as the player) knew it from early on in the game, and you had to just continually watch Arthur play dumb an run himself into ruin. Made me upset at him and made him come off as weak. He could have and should have stood up to Dutch long before he did and the crew and families would have been much better off.

Like I said it just felt like we were all waiting for the inevitable for like 15 hours of gameplay. Made the story feel like a drag.
There's also that Dutch was a mysterious larger than life villain you spent the whole of RDR1 hunting down, he turned out to just be a goofy nikka who kept getting shown up by real criminals who knew the game better than him like that mafia dude in St. Denis

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
It's a bunch of "holier than thou" nikkas in here. :francis:

Also it wasn't obvious how Arthur contracted his illness at all. Most people didn't even realize the significance of what happened until it started getting bad. I had to youtube when it happened and then I hit the :ohhh:

Once Arthur knew he caught it, his life purpose changed. That's why he handled Dutch the way he did.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
There's also that Dutch was a mysterious larger than life villain you spent the whole of RDR1 hunting down, he turned out to just be a goofy nikka who kept getting shown up by real criminals who knew the game better than him like that mafia dude in St. Denis

Well if you watch the story of almost every major criminal in history it's like that. A lot of times you find out that the most famous and dangerous criminals are...human beings :ohhh: sometimes you win sometimes you lose

Him running into an even bigger and better criminal than himself and showing his obvious jealousy was a good way to portray his innate character flaws. He couldn't stand looking weak next to him, it drove him over the edge which lead to him feeding him to the fishes. Which lead to Arthur (and some of the gang) realizing how Dutch really is: a clout chaser. :hubie:

That's good storytelling. Y'all nikkas wack.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Well if you watch the story of almost every major criminal in history it's like that. A lot of times you find out that the most famous and dangerous criminals are...human beings :ohhh: sometimes you win sometimes you lose

Him running into an even bigger and better criminal than himself and showing his obvious jealousy was a good way to portray his innate character flaws. He couldn't stand looking weak next to him, it drove him over the edge which lead to him feeding him to the fishes. Which lead to Arthur (and some of the gang) realizing how Dutch really is: a clout chaser. :hubie:

That's good storytelling. Y'all nikkas wack.
My point is, I don't even know why the FIB or whatever the police were called in Part 1 dedicated so many resources towards rounding up the van der Linde crew, they were petty criminals at best, but the first game made him seem like Jesse James.