Does Red Dead Redemption 2 actually have a good story? *spoilers*

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
My point is, I don't even know why the FIB or whatever the police were called in Part 1 dedicated so many resources towards rounding up the van der Linde crew, they were petty criminals at best, but the first game made him seem like Jesse James.

You had to kill a lot of people to get them, Bill Williamson had a whole army of criminals in fort Mercer. Doesn’t make that much sense considering the events of part 2 but whatever i suppose

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
My point is, I don't even know why the FIB or whatever the police were called in Part 1 dedicated so many resources towards rounding up the van der Linde crew, they were petty criminals at best, but the first game made him seem like Jesse James.

Well they were sitting on damn near an entire city's treasury when they robbed blackwater, robbed another bank, and robbed 2 rich families. And they had loan sharks.

They were dangerous, they seemed like petty criminals but if you look at the broader ciew of what they accomplished, they were the most dangerous and accomplished gang in the region. The O'driscolls were supposed to be a rival gang and they hadn't accomplished half of what Dutch's gang did

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
Dutch and them was on it....fukkin wit that Rat b*stard made them sloppy...Arthur prob been knew before the blackwater shyt...

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
You had to kill a lot of people to get them, Bill Williamson had a whole army of criminals in fort Mercer. Doesn’t make that much sense considering the events of part 2 but whatever i suppose
Yeah, I don't remember properly but wasn't Javier like the El Presidente of Mexico's right hand man or some shyt? They totally nerfed these guys in RDR2

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
The red dead redemption games aren't about the individual characters like arthur and dutch and john...they are about how an entire way of life...being an outlaw...is bein phased out by a new modern society...yet the new modern society is every bit if not more brutal...than the outlaw lifestyle...

There are a ton of stories outside of the main story...but it's a large open world game so if you don't explore it you won't find it...like finding the giant snake in Lemoyne and then finding the town close by and what it means...finding the ufo's and what they mean...listening to the voices in Bolger Glade and then going to find the guys statue in Saint Dennis...

These are all things you would never know about this game if all you do is go to a yellow or white marker to get to the next quest...that's not a problem with the game...that's a problem with the person playing it...

Most people are underwhelmed by RDR2 because they mistake it's story for a straight forward narrative where the story is more about social commentary about a world going from "wild" to "civilized" but not losing any of the things that made it "wild"...

If you somebody who just played this game straight through and did nothing but the missions then you probably legit didn't play half this game...

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
before Red Dead 2 came out people demanded that it be like the 1st game
they demanded John Marston be in it

Is John Marston Red Dead Redemption 2's main playable character?

it wasnt teased that it would be this way until before release

alot of the first game was missions based off of easter eggs from Western Movies

its hard making a western anything in the realm of reality because there wasnt shyt going on in the time period ... 35-40 years of age was the average life expectancy

so alot of it really is just if you like westerns too, and want a realistic world to explore
I thought it was interesting even more because the people I live with were born in New Orleans in 1925... so I kind of got to see in detail the similar type of shyt they were kids around, give or take 20 years.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
it was a good story that overstayed its welcome

it had all the elements from character and setting development to rising conflict and resolution, but it drew out the transitionary periods for two long and the epilogue was entirely unnecessary from a narrative standpoint

i feel a similar way about the writing in the last of us 2, in that it was paced oddly and drawn out across certain sections

the difficult part about writing for a videogame is telling a cohesive story while giving consumers all the gameplay that they paid for; a complete story can be told in much less time than a 20-25+ hour videogame, and i think game writers are at the point now where theyre figuring out the tradeoff between having their product be bloated and not giving the story enough body to be emotionally powerful

god of war in my opinion found the perfect balance between the two
That was really a great breakdown. Makes you realize how hard it really is to keep someone focused on a story for 40 hours.. That's without you doing all the side missions, grabbing collectibles, listening to all the dialogue. Some games like skyrim got all the books that have stories that match up too.. It's a lot.. And it can also get boring fast. I find in most open world games, I'm skipping entire dialogue about halfway to 3/4s of the way through. It's just hard to keep that same fire from the early game.

RDR2 keep me going for a while. GTA too.. Rare just has a way of making it seem fun or unlocking shyt slowly or something in there. It still gets kinda long towards the end and I'm rushing to finish up the story. But it's a lot longer than most

TLOU doesn't really count to me cause it's not open world. They get to tell a direct story, no deviation or side content that goes outside the mission you're on. Here's a cutscene, go to next mission. That's a lot easier to write and hold grasp vs open world, 100 hour games

tinnyskillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Paterson/Passaic, New Jersey
Currently pushing through RDR2 on PS Now. Trying to complete it then start Nier Automata afterwards because i never finished either. Both games leave PS Now November 1st. I made it to Chapter 3 or 4 last time. I'm on Chapter 2 now. I feel like i'm never going to get back to where i was, everything is so painfully slow. I will never understand how this game got so many 10's with these controls, and bad game mechanics.

tinnyskillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Paterson/Passaic, New Jersey
Currently pushing through RDR2 on PS Now. Trying to complete it then start Nier Automata afterwards because i never finished either. Both games leave PS Now November 1st. I made it to Chapter 3 or 4 last time. I'm on Chapter 2 now. I feel like i'm never going to get back to where i was, everything is so painfully slow. I will never understand how this game got so many 10's with these controls, and bad game mechanics.
Dropped it again. Maybe one day i'll complete it, maybe :francis:

Daps
Dropped it again. Maybe one day i'll complete it, maybe :francis:
Trust me before RDR2 became my favorite GOTG alongside TLOU2 (after I took time to understand the ending), I was like when the fukk is this game going to start?:mjlol: Unfortunately I bought it digitally so I couldn't return it
Played on and off for a couple of weeks until I got past chapter 2 the pace picked up quickly and then I couldn't stop playing
The missions and action will get a ALOT better it's considered a GOTG level and standard setting open world game for a reason

Last edited: