Does Red Dead Redemption 2 actually have a good story? *spoilers*

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
'this is why i feel like the reason I was underwhelmed with the story is the same people a lot of people love it. It's pretty much a remix of the first game. where as with TLOU its completely subverts expectations, whether you liked them or didn't, the sequel was a completely different experience than the first game.

I want more video game sequels like that. I feel like the majority of games just kind of what more of the same and this is whaat RDR 2 was.

But, games journalists haven't called RDR2 one of the GOAT stories.

Ya'll TLOU2 fans gotta stop using that phrase :mjlol:

If the Power Rangers came down and killed Ellie in defense of Abby, that would subvert expectations, too.

I thought the character development made up for the lackluster mission loop and bland story.

Daps
ok but why? lol

if you can't explain it then it doesn't mean anything. All i take from that is that you just dislike TLOU2's story
nikka stop :mjlol:
this is your pattern
any thing that threatens you ND fans perception of ND being the best and only the best leads to dumb shyt like this :mjlol:
That's why there is a TLOU2 defense force that tries to deflect all criticism of the story or makes up new narratives or call people names
I can't even state an OPINION

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
And also :mjlol: @Gizmo_Duck with the stealth TLOU2 defense thread cause people was shytting on the story in that other thread.

Sony stans :mjlol:

Edit:

I knew it

:mjlol:

I was gonna respond genuinely too…thanks for saving me the time…these cats is weird at times…truth be told idk why cats entertained that TLOU2 thread either…folks in there having the same argument a year after the game dropped lmaooo

8.TRES

All Star
Daps
it was a good story that overstayed its welcome

it had all the elements from character and setting development to rising conflict and resolution, but it drew out the transitionary periods for two long and the epilogue was entirely unnecessary from a narrative standpoint

i feel a similar way about the writing in the last of us 2, in that it was paced oddly and drawn out across certain sections

the difficult part about writing for a videogame is telling a cohesive story while giving consumers all the gameplay that they paid for; a complete story can be told in much less time than a 20-25+ hour videogame, and i think game writers are at the point now where theyre figuring out the tradeoff between having their product be bloated and not giving the story enough body to be emotionally powerful

god of war in my opinion found the perfect balance between the two

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
nikka stop :mjlol:
this is your pattern
any thing that threatens you ND fans perception of ND being the best and only the best leads to dumb shyt like this :mjlol:
That's why there is a TLOU2 defense force that tries to deflect all criticism of the story or makes up new narratives or call people names
I can't even state an OPINION
'
and you still ain't gonna tell me why you thought the story was good or what you enjoyed about it? :unimpressed:

you stated an opinion im asking you to go more in depth on it, which is what the thread is about, i didn't say you were wrong.

Daps

it had all the elements from character and setting development to rising conflict and resolution, but it drew out the transitionary periods for two long and the epilogue was entirely unnecessary from a narrative standpoint

i feel a similar way about the writing in the last of us 2, in that it was paced oddly and drawn out across certain sections

the difficult part about writing for a videogame is telling a cohesive story while giving consumers all the gameplay that they paid for; a complete story can be told in much less time than a 20-25+ hour videogame, and i think game writers are at the point now where theyre figuring out the tradeoff between having their product be bloated and not giving the story enough body to be emotionally powerful

god of war's story wasn't that amazing honestly
it was the overall experience that made it great but the story isn't on TLOU2's or RDR2's level IMO but it moves at a reasonable pace vs. a slow burner like RDR2 so I get where you're coming from with that. RDR2 takes too long to get the story going and TLOU2 has a faster start with a higher intensity moments compared to RDR2 in the beginning
the boy was annoying as fukk and now he sounds even more annoying in the sequel

8.TRES

All Star
Daps
god of war's story wasn't that amazing honestly
it was the overall experience that made it great but the story isn't on TLOU2's or RDR2's level IMO but it moves at a reasonable pace vs. a slow burner like RDR2 so I get where you're coming from
the boy was annoying as fukk and now he sounds even more annoying in the sequel

as far as the story content i agree it wasnt some genre defining offering

i was speaking mostly about the fact that it wasnt too long or too short and still felt complete, which is what a lot of big blockbuster games from what ive seen struggle with

Daps
as far as the story content i agree it wasnt some genre defining offering

i was speaking mostly about the fact that it wasnt too long or too short and still felt complete, which is what a lot of big blockbuster games from what ive seen struggle with
I agree it's much better paced than TLOU2 and RDR2
Entertaining and gets to the point

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

these are my feelings as well, a long with a lot of the "longer" style open world games. I thought both uncharted 4 and TLOU2 could have been paced better but they're also only around 20 hours long. Red Dead Redemption and some of the other games I dislike in this genre are touching around 50-60 hours. For a game to be badly paced and that long is gonna amplify those feelingss ten fold.

i felt this way about Ghost of Tsushima and even said so in the original thread (and got negged for it) is that the pacing was incredibly off and the story was stretched way too thin.

but again, the silver linging is Ghost of Tsushima is about 30 hours long, versus 50+ of the other games i regular criticize.

i'll throw horizon in there as well. This is part of the reason I liked Lost Legacy, Miles Morales, and IkI island, because they are shorter more complete experiences without a lot of fluff to pad them out. I also hear often that Frozen Wilds is a lot better than the main game for the same reason

Last edited:

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

this is spot on

GOW > TLOU2 & RDR2