Doctor Sleep aka The Shining 2 thread (Ewan McGregor to star)

Daps
Reppin
St louis
The Movie was dope as fukk man.
:gucci:

UKVu0t8.gif

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
this shyt was :banderas:...abra and rose were the standouts for sure. Rebecca furguson can suck the steam out me whenever she want with her bad gypsy ass :noah:. Loved abra in this though. She was on her :birdman: shyt basically from the jump :pachaha:....only thing irked me for some reason was the fact that abra was mixed. I swear hollywood absolutely hates black married successful couples :francis:
and of course the black father dies :shaq2:

Last edited:

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Good movie... I like the theme of fighting fear in the recent King movies from Netflix to the big screen.
Thought it was weird that the bath tub lady came to try and haunt Abra even after Dan burned the Overlook down tho

but my girl and I enjoyed the movie. The heart beats were good too

morris

Superstar
Daps
Watch it in Dolby, Mike Flanagan has piff visuals and dope ass editing. The sound is also dope.

If you don't do Dolby/IMAX might as well stream depending on your home set-up.

Sorry Mr. Scorcese :mjcry:

It's not a must see, but it's a surprisingly good entry, especially based on what it has to go up against.

shyt was super dope! Awesome movie. 10/10 must see for me.

Mike did his thing as usual and the little black girl "should" be the next child star.

I cant wait for Mikes nx entry cause he likes to use some of the same actors over and over again and they always deliver

must see. I had the day off so I just got back from an 11:45 showing. told a random white guy 2 seats away from me it was the best movie I'd seen in a while he replied with "it was phenomenal" :smugbiden:

dont read unless you've watched the movie
loved the heartbeat choice, very little actual music in this.

the predator vibe was really captured. the scene where they abduct the baseball kid and torture him while eating and abra watching was captivating.

danny and abra are really powerful so the group didn't realize they'd kicked a hornets nest coming after them and I loved it. Abra especially not being afraid and seeking them out almost immediately. the group was coming for abra out of desperation to have a really good meal so the cat and mouse aspect doesn't take form and I liked that a lot.

the astral projecting, mind traps and the different variety of powers were all conceptualized really well also

and abra/danny having a :ufdup::youngsabo: attitude the whole time was really satisfying to watch. after everyone else got killed and the leader appeared before abra trying to intimidate her all she did in response was smirk and walk right through her:banderas:

Best movie I've seen in a while :wow:

Had no expectations

Much better experience than the Joker

The long-distance psychic scenes with Abra and the villain chick were unreal :whew:

You are all CORRECT on all counts

My wallet would have been pissed if not

I'm a bit surprised it's tanking at the box office. Damn good movie and a whole lot of fun.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
It’s a crime if this film doesn’t do well financially. It’s the best movie I’ve seen in recent years. I know we have an overarching Kingverse with Dark Tower but this movie makes me want a Shining-verse.

I’m wondering now how many King characters have some aspect of the Shining especially with the power expansion shown in this movie. It went from low-level telepathy in the 1st movie to full on X-Men in Dr. Sleep. A lot of characters could have it. Carrie has TK, little girl and her parents from Firestarter were telepaths and pytokinetics (even though it was the result of govt experiments). The black woman from the Stand has TP. That’s just off the top of my head.

there’s the guy who can see the future and has to assassinate the politician who would start WWIII too

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I didn't care much for it. The first half is slow and pondering and yet feels wholly undercooked. The editing is awful with endless fade-cuts of scenes that barely fit together what with the three main parties being fully separated for a good hour or so. The pacing and setup is just a mess and on top of that the villains just sucked. Rebecca Ferguson gave a really great performance and made her role work somewhat but the only time the group felt scary was during the torture scene with the baseball kid. For the rest they did absolutely nothing particularly scary and just looked like a pack of hobo's.

One thing that made me laugh was the idea that Danny would have to lure Rose to the Overlook hotel in order to beat her. They straight up annihilated her clique with a basic-ass trap and some guns and he killed her second-hand man by car crash, and Abra washed Rose in every astral plane encounter they had up until that point. There was no reason whatsoever to believe she had a chance against them both so going to the Overlook hotel felt completely unnecessary even if the final act in the hotel was the best part of the movie. But even those better moments the movie still falls flat on its face a couple times like the emphasis of how weak this movie's musical score is when the OG music is used, or the use of that embarassing Jack Nicholson impersonator. Who the fukk thought that was a good idea? :deadmanny:

It felt like there was an actual great horror film hidden in here somewhere, but much like Andy Muschietti with It, Warner Bros just keeps hiring horror directors who can't actually direct horror.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I didn't care much for it. The first half is slow and pondering and yet feels wholly undercooked. The editing is awful with endless fade-cuts of scenes that barely fit together what with the three main parties being fully separated for a good hour or so. The pacing and setup is just a mess and on top of that the villains just sucked. Rebecca Ferguson gave a really great performance and made her role work somewhat but the only time the group felt scary was during the torture scene with the baseball kid. For the rest they did absolutely nothing particularly scary and just looked like a pack of hobo's.

One thing that made me laugh was the idea that Danny would have to lure Rose to the Overlook hotel in order to beat her. They straight up annihilated her clique with a basic-ass trap and some guns and he killed her second-hand man by car crash, and Abra washed Rose in every astral plane encounter they had up until that point. There was no reason whatsoever to believe she had a chance against them both so going to the Overlook hotel felt completely unnecessary even if the final act in the hotel was the best part of the movie. But even those better moments the movie still falls flat on its face a couple times like the emphasis of how weak this movie's musical score is when the OG music is used, or the use of that embarassing Jack Nicholson impersonator. Who the fukk thought that was a good idea? :deadmanny:

It felt like there was an actual great horror film hidden in here somewhere, but much like Andy Muschietti with It, Warner Bros just keeps hiring horror directors who can't actually direct horror.
I didn't feel like the director was going for horror at all.

What did you expect this film to be going into it?

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Good. But it wasn't.
tell me honestly what you thought you were going into.

I watched a couple reviews and the general feedback I'm getting is that it's unexpectedly polarizing. You're either gonna love it or hate it.

I liked the book and never saw the film and randomly saw it advertised on TV a few weeks before it came out. it was an impulse view and I was extremely impressed.

not even having viewed the movie but hearing so much about how good it was. I feel like the book was much more about the "shining" that danny had( and the black cook) and the context of the descent into madness that jack had was a major but secondary part of the book. that I was much more receptive to the expansion of the "shining" powers . so the more fantastical and power based driving of the plot was more palatable to me.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
tell me honestly what you thought you were going into.

I watched a couple reviews and the general feedback I'm getting is that it's unexpectedly polarizing. You're either gonna love it or hate it.

I liked the book and never saw the film and randomly saw it advertised on TV a few weeks before it came out. it was an impulse view and I was extremely impressed.

not even having viewed the movie but hearing so much about how good it was. I feel like the book was much more about the "shining" that danny had( and the black cook) and the context of the descent into madness that jack had was a major but secondary part of the book. that I was much more receptive to the expansion of the "shining" powers . so the more fantastical and power based driving of the plot was more palatable to me.
Like I said, I just expected it to be good. Wasn't familiar with the book whatsoever, but the trailer was interesting enough. I'm not a horror nut so I didn't need it to be a full horror movie either, but both the drama (the struggles of Dan) and the thriller/horror were undercooked and never formed a working picture.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Like I said, I just expected it to be good. Wasn't familiar with the book whatsoever, but the trailer was interesting enough. I'm not a horror nut so I didn't need it to be a full horror movie either, but both the drama (the struggles of Dan) and the thriller/horror were undercooked and never formed a working picture.
I don't feel like he wanted it to be a horror at all.

But I'll agree that at certain points to satisfy viewers of horror and fans of kubrak's shining he went to that to satisfy that hunger confusing the audience

Fair enough:ehh:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Good. But it wasn't.
I think if you went in expecting a horror film, especially in the capacity of The Shining, you would be disappointed. However, to say it wasn't good...I don't understand. It was a good movie. It damn near seemingly weaved different genres, while giving callbacks to Kubrick. And the characters were fun.