Doctor Sleep aka The Shining 2 thread (Ewan McGregor to star)

snikt6384

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I loved this fukking movie. The success that Joker is having (which I thought was just "good") is what I wish this movie was experiencing.

Not a perfect flick, but way way WAY better than it should have been. Y'all covered most of the positives. I echo those. Flanagan the gawd.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
14 mil. :huhldup:

This shyt barely had any marketing. Trying to rely on nostalgia like Terminator. :skip:

Or people just don't give a shyt about a sequel that shouldn't really have been made. :skip:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I think if you went in expecting a horror film, especially in the capacity of The Shining, you would be disappointed. However, to say it wasn't good...I don't understand. It was a good movie. It damn near seemingly weaved different genres, while giving callbacks to Kubrick. And the characters were fun.
I consider horror to be much broader so I would share most of this film under horror. But all of it just wasn't very good. I thought the weaving of different genres was sloppy as hell, the movie rushes yet simultaneously drags through its opening act, skipping time repeatedly with the entire 2011 part (I think that took place in 2011) offering absolutely nothing that couldn't have been acknowledged or mentioned in the present day part outside of maybe the 'Doctor Sleep' part. It just clumsily falls into every scene and since the players are so far removed from each other, none of the scenes flow into each other at all. I really think the first hour is just good ideas (courtesy of the book probably) handled like shyt.

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
just came back with my lady. we both enjoyed it. great movie.
was gonna see Joker but saw this just came out and took a shot once I saw it was basically a sequel to The Shining.
I don't watch TV or be on social media that much so I can't really say what the marketing problem was or was not.
Took a little while to really understand what was going on with the switching of time periods and what not. But I like movies where you have to kind of piece things together yourself.

NeoSeeker

GOAT human
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
This movie deserves so much more success.

People's main beef with it seems to be that it's not The Shining, which it couldn't possibly live up to and would've failed miserably had it tried to repeat what that movie was.

I read the book years ago, so I knew what I was getting into. People who didn't might've walked into it expecting a by the numbers sequel. It's more of a continuation of Danny's story rather than a sequel to The Shining's plot, if that makes sense.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I consider horror to be much broader so I would share most of this film under horror. But all of it just wasn't very good. I thought the weaving of different genres was sloppy as hell, the movie rushes yet simultaneously drags through its opening act, skipping time repeatedly with the entire 2011 part (I think that took place in 2011) offering absolutely nothing that couldn't have been acknowledged or mentioned in the present day part outside of maybe the 'Doctor Sleep' part. It just clumsily falls into every scene and since the players are so far removed from each other, none of the scenes flow into each other at all. I really think the first hour is just good ideas (courtesy of the book probably) handled like shyt.

I understand now. I agree about the opening. The cult, the add-on/reshot Shining scenes, adult Danny, young Abra...there was a lot coming at you from every angle. I thought I was gonna nod. And then I got pulled into it It seems that around the time it started to pull me in, it took you out.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
On the one hand I want to see it...

On the other hand I didn't really like the book...

They probably going to get 9.25 out of me on friday afternoon though...

Daps
Reppin
Denver
Very good movie. I’m glad I had all the info going in, having read the shining and dr. Sleep and seeing the original shining. Lot of layers going on that were able to stem from the differences of the shining book and the movie. Basically gave Flanagan the keys to to whatever he wanted with the final battle and he crushed it.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
This movie was really good. It felt like it could have been a great miniseries too but the pacing was great.

My date had to leave the theatre when they found baseball boy. She came back though like a champ.

I also think they changed the ending from the book, but it worked and made sense within the context of the film.