Do You Think FF16 Will Be A Sales Flop?

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
it will sell well, maybe a little less than FF15 but still will be among the top 5 sellers in the series history. i have a feeling this game isnt ticking all the boxes for traditional RPG players who want menu based combat, so it will need some more action oriented gamers to try it out to make up for any slippage.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
it will sell well, maybe a little less than FF15 but still will be among the top 5 sellers in the series history. i have a feeling this game isnt ticking all the boxes for traditional RPG players who want menu based combat, so it will need some more action oriented gamers to try it out to make up for any slippage.

The “traditional” (what is that even, FF has been action based for like 10 years) FF fans will complain and moan but they will still buy it. They need to expand the market due to diminishing returns in Japan with all home console games.

A lot of the more successful japanese games this generation have blown up because they’ve been more successful in the UK/US. Stuff like Yakuza, Persona, Street Fighter, Elden Ring/Souls, etc. those series got huge once they west embraced them, it will be the same for FF which has already been more popular in the west since 7.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
The “traditional” (what is that even, FF has been action based for like 10 years) FF fans will complain and moan but they will still buy it. They need to expand the market due to diminishing returns in Japan with all home console games.

A lot of the more successful japanese games this generation have blown up because they’ve been more successful in the UK/US. Stuff like Yakuza, Persona, Street Fighter, Elden Ring/Souls, etc. those series got huge once they west embraced them, it will be the same for FF which has already been more popular in the west since 7.
in the past, the combat was simpler. this looks like you have to actually know what you're doing. i also think the constant talk about how bad 15 was will cause some to not give this a shot until maybe later in the sales cycle if word of mouth is actually good.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Word on the streets is that preorders aren’t looking too great and they plan an extended sales period to meet their goals.

There were a couple articles and reports a few months ago about how Pre orders were unusually lower than they anticipated. I figured after the state of play and the flood of info the last 3 months that would be better now.

I guess not.

I'm not terribly surprised. FF should be a multiplat title when it comes to the mainline games until SE is a 1st party publisher :manny: Making them exclusive with no real gimmick to make it seems like a must have on said system only hurts the brand.

I think FF16 will sale pretty well especially as time goes on and be in serious running for GOTY. However... it's really depending on Japan for that big sales number push initially to look good out the gate. I think SE heavily short changing themselves not having a worldwide multiplat release.:manny:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
However... it's really depending on Japan for that big sales number push initially to look good out the gate

No it isn’t. The biggest japanese game in the world and biggest game of the year last year sold 16m copies in a month and not even a million of those copies were in Japan.

FF hasn’t been a japanese centered IP in decades and it was never a multiplatform selling title.

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
If the reviews start giving out 8s and 9s it will help. But it's hard to say Soo many unfinished games out here that buyers are careful in spending 69.99 on a game

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No it isn’t. The biggest japanese game in the world and biggest game of the year last year sold 16m copies in a month and not even a million of those copies were in Japan.

FF hasn’t been a japanese centered IP in decades and it was never a multiplatform selling title.
We'll see :manny:

Tair

Superstar
Daps
Definitely GoTY contender and definitely won't be a sales flop.

Easily a 9.0+ metacritic score title.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Exclude the majority of your potential customers including your own home country then worry about sales brehs :mjlol:
Yup
Make it exclusive to one Next gen console
Take it in a complete different direction than almost every FF before it.
Release it at the end of a month that is already releasing two major titles and a month after the main front runner for goty aka zelda.

On top of that you got to remember that a lot of people that have a PS5 in the states have one just because its cool to have. While the group of players that would buy and pre order FF16 probably still only have a ps4 and still enjoying cross gen RPG's.

I think it'll sell fine, probably badly in squares eyes but fine overall.
But the game really should have at least dropped on PC and PS5 if xbox isn't a option. FF16 seems like it could be or have been a big glow up for the FF IP especially in the states.

Last edited: