• Total voters

Brosef

I respect O.G. knowledge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
This is from the USDA.

Washing Food: Does it Promote Food Safety?
Historically, we equate washing to cleanliness. We wash clothes, linens, cars, dishes, and ourselves. So, it is logical that many people believe meat and poultry can be made cleaner and safer by washing it. Is this true? Does washing meat, poultry, eggs, fruits, and vegetables make them safer to eat?

Washing Meat and Poultry
Washing raw poultry, beef, pork, lamb, or veal before cooking it is not recommended. Bacteria in raw meat and poultry juices can be spread to other foods, utensils, and surfaces. We call this cross-contamination.

Some consumers think they are removing bacteria and making their meat or poultry safe. However, some of the bacteria are so tightly attached that you could not remove them no matter how many times you washed. But there are other types of bacteria that can be easily washed off and splashed on the surfaces of your kitchen. Failure to clean these contaminated areas can lead to foodborne illness. Cooking (baking, broiling, boiling, and grilling) to the right temperature kills the bacteria, so washing food is not necessary.

Using a food thermometer is the only sure way of knowing if your food has reached a high enough temperature to destroy foodborne bacteria. Cook all raw beef and veal steaks, roasts, and chops to a minimum internal temperature of 145 °F as measured with a food thermometer before removing meat from the heat source. For safety and quality, allow meat to rest for at least three minutes before carving or consuming. For reasons of personal preference, consumers may choose to cook meat to higher temperatures.

Soaking Meat and Poultry
Callers to the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline sometimes ask about soaking poultry in salt water. This is a personal preference and serves no purpose for food safety. If you choose to do this, however, preventing cross-contamination when soaking and removing the poultry from the water is essential. Meat or poultry should be kept in the refrigerator while soaking.

Sometimes consumers wash or soak country ham, bacon, or salt pork because they think it reduces the sodium or salt enough to allow these products to be eaten on a sodium-restricted diet. However, very little salt is removed by washing, rinsing, or soaking a meat product and is not recommended.

I'm gonna stop washing my meat :dame:

Don't wanna get sick from cross contamination

SeveroDrgnfli

Ain't nobody tryin to get indicted.
Daps
Reppin
Always
Growing up, I always seen the meat getting "washed"

Just checked in on my grandmother yesterday and she was in the kitchen washing some meat, gettin ready to chef up....

I thought that was just some regular shyt that people do
It's not necessary for all meats, though it's the most respectful way to prepare meat. Vegetables, especially in organic and veagan kitchens are rinsed and cleaned multiple times before they're cooked. Some kitchens wash rice before they cook it. Depends on the cook TBH. It's not right or wrong. It's very polite to wash meat.

If you wash meat do it right. Use water and vinegar and do it in a sink that'll only be used to wash meat. Bacteria is spread in water, especially water that isn't hot enough to kill bacteria.