Diddy “The Love Album: Off The Grid” Discussion Thread

Razzay

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mid at best.

Kudos tho — for leveraging his flex to get these features.

Should’ve been 15 tracks at the most. Feels like filler.

Doesn’t feel cohesive.

Ryan Leslie’s first album is lowkey an early 2000s classic — kinda LOL and Puff wrecked the musical direction of his label by wrecking things with him over a bitçh.

This feels like a less annoying Khaled R&B project.

Concept would’ve been fly if he did 13 tracks with 90s R&B artists and 13 with these new cats on a separate “part 2” project.
volume 2 coming spring '24, hes got a vault to go off

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Listened to 7 tracks and I was pleasantly surprised at how many I was actually into. I’ll eventually listen to the whole album, but I kinda liked what I heard so far, especially knowing this is an R&B album and wasn’t supposed to be expecting No Way Out, Saga Continues, or MMM.

DontEemTry

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm really fukkin with this. Givin me that old Bad Boy 90's R&B feel when Puff had the clubs on lock.

But his ghostwriter trippin tawmbout "you fukkin with the greatest rapper that ever lived" :russ:

edit: Nah, this shyt is incredible. Who woulda thought Diddy of all people would bring true R&B back :wtf:

Last edited:

Roovers410

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Amsterdam
I'm really fukkin with this. Givin me that old Bad Boy 90's R&B feel when Puff had the clubs on lock.

But his ghostwriter trippin tawmbout "you fukkin with the greatest rapper that ever lived" :russ:

edit: Nah, this shyt is incredible. Who woulda thought Diddy of all people would bring true R&B back :wtf:
You even hear Puff being uncomfortable saying it 😂😂😂. Album is dope as fukk tho. Im happy for Puff after years of so so releases.

• Dap
Reactions: ADP

Razzay

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Agreed , the mixing and production is crazy

One of the crazy reflections on this being called the superbowl of RNB, he put a stable of top vocalist together and none of the songs stand out any levels above the other its pretty balanced. Fav tracks change daily and when a track been played theres a good diversity to hit another song that u havent been rocking to as much that grows. He put together a good mix of

-vets and legends like Babyface, Mary J, KC, John Legend
-top artists that been popular in 2010s (Bieber and Weekend)
-top performers from the last decade (jeremiah, jasmine sullivan, the dream)
- rising artists establishing their lanes (swae lee, tye dollar sign, teyanna taylor, jacquees, summer walker, coco jones, H.E.R)
- and breaking new talent (jozzy, nija, nova wav, kalan frfr)

Point is I havent even played the weekend joint at all, been rockin to the depth of the other joints. Its hard to bring this talent together and not have it be peeps outshining each other he kept the badboy style on the production that made it cohesive. The vocalists made this blend into the production well and Puff did his thing as a producer.

Razzay

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m rocking with this Puff album 3 songs in……but why did he spit his verse from Black Rob I love you Baby which is dropped in 97?

this nikka done moved on to sampling himself now
noticed that too, song Busta brought him the j dilla sample for dirty money track and sounds like he just left his vocals there as a bridge because he also spit the i love you baby hook too as a melody on it

Razzay

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m rocking with this Puff album 3 songs in……but why did he spit his verse from Black Rob "I love you Baby" which dropped in 97?

this nikka done moved on to sampling himself now

The other part is that gives the nostalgia vibes a few times theres was intentional but organic ways it was done:

1- chanting hypnotize hook on the end of the opening track w the dream

2- I love you baby references on the j dilla joint and adlibs

3- shoot the club up line on the mary joint

4- countless production inserts from stevie j, winans, - drum patters, instruments piano loops, or in Kanye's words at Puff's lifetime achievement speech - imitating the "badboy shakers, bells". Those trademark badboy sounds are sprinked throughout this.

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
I’m trying to figure out what Puff sampled for “Homecoming” I’m like wrecking my brain trying to remember this record.

It was def a 90s bad boy record

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
The other part is that gives the nostalgia vibes a few times theres was intentional but organic ways it was done:

1- chanting hypnotize hook on the end of the opening track w the dream

2- I love you baby references on the j dilla joint and adlibs

3- shoot the club up line on the mary joint

4- countless production inserts from stevie j, winans, - drum patters, instruments piano loops, or in Kanye's words at Puff's lifetime achievement speech - imitating the "badboy shakers, bells". Those trademark badboy sounds are sprinked throughout this.

I'm loving this "Stay Away" record with Nija with the 702-Steelo sample.

Razzay

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m trying to figure out what Puff sampled for “Homecoming” I’m like wrecking my brain trying to remember this record.

It was def a 90s bad boy record

Record hard - sounds like something method man would come in a tear up for a mid 90s mary track.