Developer Claims 50% Speed Diffrence between XB1/PS4

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Will M$ pay devs to underpower the ps4 games so they look the same? :beli:

Like I've been saying for months now...go check my past posts. Even had 8 pages of arguments with that fukking moron @Malta about this. And that little dude doesn't know shyt....

Devs will have to go above and beyond in order to make one version better than the other. 9 out of 10 devs aren't going to do that. They are going to program for the least common denominator.

Console games don't scale. You can't just "turn off settings" (@Malta ) like you do on PC games.

Multiplatform games will be created to run the same on both machines unless devs are willing to put in the extra time for the PS4 version.

For those who are going to say "but but but they did it with the XBOX 360!!!!" ...
The reason that the XBOX 360 version of most multiplatform games looked better is because it was easier to program for, and to port games from the PC dev units. Where games are programmed and originate from. The Xbox 360 and PC shared similar architecture while the PS3 didn't.

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
Like I've been saying for months now...go check my past posts. Even had 8 pages of arguments with that fukking moron @Malta about this. And that little dude doesn't know shyt....

Devs will have to go above and beyond in order to make one version better than the other. 9 out of 10 devs aren't going to do that. They are going to program for the least common denominator.

Console games don't scale. You can't just "turn off settings" (@Malta ) like you do on PC games.

Multiplatform games will be created to run the same on both machines unless devs are willing to put in the extra time for the PS4 version.
"least common denominator" those are the magic words.
This is why AAA games are so important, they will push the machines till their about to blow.
Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us on a machine with 500kb of memory is trully AMAZING!

• Dap
Reactions: Ayo

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
"least common denominator" those are the magic words.
This is why AAA games are so important, they will push the machines till their about to blow.
Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us on a machine with 500kb of memory is trully AMAZING!

Exactly.

Exclusives are what's going to show the difference. The differences in multiplatform games will be minimal if at all noticeable.

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
we have no choice in the matter, :upsetfavre: M$ insist on gimping console gaming with their lackluster specs. this time around, ps4 will probably have a larger fanbase. so maybe devs wont strictly cater to the inferior product.
They wont push one machine over the other, but when them exclusives start to drop....game over. :birdman:
Not talking bout day one exclusives obviously, but those that will drop in 1 or 2 years from now, that will be the check mate to 3rd party sellout devs.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
I bet the Devs who are saying "50% faster" are finding themselves having an easier time accomplishing certain tasks on the PS4 and having a hard time replicating them on the XBox One. But that in no way means that they are going to create 2 versions of their game (high and low res versions of all assets, textures, lighting etc etc) to take advantage of the "50%."

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
They wont push one machine over the other, but when them exclusives start to drop....game over. :birdman:
Not talking bout day one exclusives obviously, but those that will drop in 1 or 2 years from now, that will be the check mate to 3rd party sellout devs.

If there is really a 50% difference in power should' t we be seeing that day 1?

I understand that it will take a while to truly tap into the power if the consoles, but if one was so much more powerful than the other one, wouldn't that be apparent from the start?

We were able to see the difference in ps3/wii games from day 1

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
no, most launch titles could be played current gen. it'll take 2-3 yrs before devs start showing us the power of these new consoles

Like I said I understand it will take a while to get the true power of them.

But they both have a starting point. And if one starting point is 50% less than the other, wouldn't that be apparent right now?

Why not?

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
no it wouldnt immediately evident. we have to wait for devs to really take time and program for the next generation consoles. this isnt just a bash at microsoft because it goes for xbox 1. both consoles are supposedly at least 16x more powerful than current gen. it'll take some years before it's properly ultilized. uncharted 1 was nice but ps3 didnt flex its abilities until U2, which came out 3 yrs after ps3 was released.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
no it wouldnt immediately evident. we have to wait for devs to really take time and program for the next generation consoles. this isnt just a bash at microsoft because it goes for xbox 1. both consoles are supposedly at least 16x more powerful than current gen. it'll take some years before it's properly ultilized. uncharted 1 was nice but ps3 didnt flex its abilities until U2, which came out 3 yrs after ps3 was released.

You are not paying attention to what I posted. One more time.

If both machines need time to mature, and one machine is 50% more powerful thans the other, wouldn't that be apparent even in their immature state?

We were able to see the differnce between wii and ps3 games from the start. We didn't have to wait 2-3 years to see the differnce there

Why is that different for the X1 and PS4?

ChrisDorner

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Like I said I understand it will take a while to get the true power of them.

But they both have a starting point. And if one starting point is 50% less than the other, wouldn't that be apparent right now?

Why not?
Ps3 was stronger than 360 and it took a few years for ps3 exclusives to outdo 360 ones graphically

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
You are not paying attention to what I posted. One more time.

If both machines need time to mature, a done machine is 50% more powerfull thans the other, wouldn't that be apparent even in their immature state?

We were able to see the differnce between wii and ps3 games from the start. We didn't have to wait 2-3 years to see the differnce there

Why is that different for the X1 and PS4?
Let's say you have a gpu card 50% better than the best currently available, you won't see a 50% difference if there's nothing native being done for your class of gpu. It is known that hardware doesn't work like that. But now, the point: 3/5 years from now, your card will be the norm and them cards that are below in performance by 50%, are gonna suffer, the difference will be abysmal on optimal performarce levels.
PS: this is just an example, don't be forming arguments over semantics.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Let's say you have a gpu card 50% better than the best currently available, you won't see a 50% difference if there's nothing native being done for your class of gpu. It is known that hardware doesn't work like that. But now, the point: 3/5 years from now, your card will be the norm and them cards that are below in performance by 50%, are gonna suffer, the difference will be abysmal on optimal performarce levels.
PS: this is just an example, don't be forming arguments over semantics.
This argument doesn't work for two reasons. One is because there are GPU's on the market now that far outperform both the Xbox and ps4. There are PC games now that will look better than both consoles at launch.

And two if we are talking about 1st party games. I'm sure the devs have had plenty of time working with the systems. It makes no sense to say Sony first party devs aren't working on anything "native" for the hardware.