"Death to the Pessimistic State of Mind" - Nas Voice: NYK '23 Pre-Season Thread

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Cats didn't want to tank and this is the consequence. Keeping Randle around will set the Knicks back at least 5 years. Last years results were fraudulent, and the free agent moves are proving to be horrible. Thibs isn't the right coach for what needs to be done, which is tank and rebuild.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound

Obi Toppin, power forward, New York Knicks (No. 8 overall)

Toppin became the best player in college basketball because of his energetic rim runs and explosive rolls to the basket, shooting a remarkable 70% from inside the arc thanks to an ideal blend of urgency, bounce and touch, with almost all of his minutes coming at the 5. Toppin's 39% clip from distance his sophomore season at Dayton was the cherry on top of his true NBA skill -- his energy.

Toppin spent most of an inconsistent rookie season as a perimeter-oriented 4 for the Knicks, either spaced out to the corner or picking and popping. According to CleaningTheGlass.com, 39% of his shots came from 3, with just 45% at the rim. As a result, Toppin generated 1.7 free throw attempts per 40 minutes, had his ups and downs on defense, shot 30.9% from 3 and didn't live up to expectations as a 23-year-old rookie drafted eighth overall to his hometown Knicks.

Although he's made just two 3s (on 19 attempts) this season, Toppin is back to his bread and butter that made him a fan favorite in college, terrorizing opposing defenses with his speed and activity as a dynamic dive man. Toppin's become a bench sparkplug for the 8-6 Knicks, energizing Madison Square Garden every time he's on the floor. With Toppin on the court, the Knicks play an up-tempo style, scoring 15.8 more points per 100 possessions than when he sits. He's built great chemistry with point guard Derrick Rose, featured in far more empty-side pick-and-rolls, allowing him to utilize his ability to slip out of screens quickly, explode off the ground to catch lobs and whip the ball to an open teammate if he catches in the short roll. Even when he shares the floor with bigs Taj Gibson or Nerlens Noel, they'll space them out to the short corner to give Toppin more of a runway as the dive man. They'll also use him as a roller in double-drags next to center Mitchell Robinson, using his quickness to dart behind the defense for lobs.

Of the 114 players to have set at least 75 screens this season, Toppin is generating the second-most points per chance, behind Golden State's Draymond Green, according to Second Spectrum. In the modern 4 role he played last season, Toppin's upright handle, tight hips and streaky shooting were exacerbated. But when he's able to play in space against shifting defenses without having to use too many dribbles, he's a real weapon. His elite straight-line speed is finally being utilized with more regularity, and his feel for functioning as the roller has helped him post a 74.4 eFG% in the restricted area. He ranks 15th in the NBA in 2-point percentage and is attempting 6.0 free throws per 40 minutes.

While the jumper and defense are still a work in progress, Toppin has rediscovered his offensive identity, and all it took was the Knicks picking up on what made him so dynamic at Dayton.

Obi is ready for more offense and minutes :francis:

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
they will need to just trade him at the deadline. he's making good money, but it's not a boatload.

package him up with Mitchell Robinson and Kevin Knox, and figure it out.
:unimpressed:
I doubt we move Mitch. Kemba and Fournier look to be the issue. I keep saying it. If anything attach a pick for Derrick White for Fournier and give Grimes some burn. He would also work well next to IQ defensively.

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cats didn't want to tank and this is the consequence. Keeping Randle around will set the Knicks back at least 5 years. Last years results were fraudulent, and the free agent moves are proving to be horrible. Thibs isn't the right coach for what needs to be done, which is tank and rebuild.

Exactly.

People got caught up in last year because it was fun and we’ve been bad for so long but in reality it was what we’ve been complaining about for so long. The Knicks content with making the playoffs with zero shot to win a title with the current team.

Outside of a disgruntled star wanting to come here which I’m not holding my breath for we’re stuck in this.

Even then a Dame doesn’t make us a title team. we’re really two disgruntled stars away from being title contenders

Wargames

Daps
Reppin
New York City
Exactly.

People got caught up in last year because it was fun and we’ve been bad for so long but in reality it was what we’ve been complaining about for so long. The Knicks content with making the playoffs with zero shot to win a title with the current team.

Outside of a disgruntled star wanting to come here which I’m not holding my breath for we’re stuck in this.

Even then a Dame doesn’t make us a title team. we’re really two disgruntled stars away from being title contenders
My only issue is it feels like Superstars are rarer than ever. Who is out there to trade for or FA? Plus they refuse to tank. This team needs a PG that fits what they are trying to do. It’s the same story for damn near 20 years now. Fournier and Kemba not meshing well also reflects on Thibs. Maybe breaking up the duo and being more creative could help. Not at the end of games though.

Regardless this isn’t ideal but it’s not bad either.

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this team is a poor man's version of the 2010 team we had before the melo trade. PpL love to romanticise that team for some reason when they had a 500 record at the time of da trade.

this team is worse than that. this is why i said resigning randle was stupid. he had one of da worat playoff series in knick history and we rewarded him with 100 million dollars lmao

ask yourself this question: if randle was an expiring contract right now, do you think he hustles more on defense? do you think he comes into the season in better shape?

we need to be on da phone with portland, philly, minnesota etcc to see if we can work something out

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
My only issue is it feels like Superstars are rarer than ever. Who is out there to trade for or FA? Plus they refuse to tank. This team needs a PG that fits what they are trying to do. It’s the same story for damn near 20 years now. Fournier and Kemba not meshing well also reflects on Thibs. Maybe breaking up the duo and being more creative could help. Not at the end of games though.

Regardless this isn’t ideal but it’s not bad either.

Too many ball-handlers and not enough off-ball movers in the starting unit. I remember a play two games ago where Fournier drove in and drew a crowd, Burks cut down the baseline to give Fournier a passing window. It's really simple ish like that which isn't happening right now. Instead, they load one side of the court with three guys and run a screen for the weak-side ball handler. If it's Randle screening, then it's a two-man game to try and get one of them an open jumper. Problem being that it's completely predictable. If it's Mitch or Obi, they'll rim run instead of drop, the ballhandler slashes and then the ball might move some.

Put Burks or IQ into Fournier's role to add some motion off-ball. Let Fournier take cues from all the movers on the second-unit. And consider moving Mitch to the second unit where he can rock with Obi and eventually you can start Noel who has built-in understandings of how to cover for Randle in the FC (and also more mobility to cover).

Wargames

Daps
Reppin
New York City
Too many ball-handlers and not enough off-ball movers in the starting unit. I remember a play two games ago where Fournier drove in and drew a crowd, Burks cut down the baseline to give Fournier a passing window. It's really simple ish like that which isn't happening right now. Instead, they load one side of the court with three guys and run a screen for the weak-side ball handler. If it's Randle screening, then it's a two-man game to try and get one of them an open jumper. Problem being that it's completely predictable. If it's Mitch or Obi, they'll rim run instead of drop, the ballhandler slashes and then the ball might move some.

Put Burks or IQ into Fournier's role to add some motion off-ball. Let Fournier take cues from all the movers on the second-unit. And consider moving Mitch to the second unit where he can rock with Obi and eventually you can start Noel who has built-in understandings of how to cover for Randle in the FC (and also more mobility to cover).
That all makes sense..... but would Thibs be willing to switch it up.... we got to wait and lose to see

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
this team is a poor man's version of the 2010 team we had before the melo trade. PpL love to romanticise that team for some reason when they had a 500 record at the time of da trade.

this team is worse than that. this is why i said resigning randle was stupid. he had one of da worat playoff series in knick history and we rewarded him with 100 million dollars lmao

ask yourself this question: if randle was an expiring contract right now, do you think he hustles more on defense? do you think he comes into the season in better shape?

we need to be on da phone with portland, philly, minnesota etcc to see if we can work something out
I'd personally package him and RJ for CJ McCollum. :scusthov: