"Death to the Pessimistic State of Mind" - Nas Voice: NYK '23 Pre-Season Thread

Daps
You could have said I was wrong and moved on.
But I wasn't wrong, as you can see now. Why should I admit I was wrong about something that I was ultimately right about?

I told nxggas during the season I wasn't fooled by his box score numbers in empty-gym settings. Did I need to repeat it to everyone that tagged me to satisfy some bum ass nerd who doesn't know shyt about hoops? You're only mad at me cause you see what Julius is now, and you're basically the only one left in this thread that doesn't want to admit it.

You know, admit that you were wrong about him.

:lolbron:

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
But I wasn't wrong, as you can see now. Why should I admit I was wrong about something that I was ultimately right about?

I told nxggas during the season I wasn't fooled by his box score numbers in empty-gym settings. Did I need to repeat it to everyone that tagged me to satisfy some bum ass nerd who doesn't know shyt about hoops? You're only mad at me cause you see what Julius is now, and you're basically the only one left in this thread that doesn't want to admit it.

You know, admit that you were wrong about him.

:lolbron:
No I’m not. Again weirdo you came in our thread trolling after running away but I’m the bum? Actually you’re doing the coward thing right now trying to get everybody to side with you. But as I told you earlier these same nikkas wanted Obi gone last year, Quickley benched this year, shyt half the squad think Quickley should replace RJ right now so please save me the hoe babble.

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps

Obi Toppin, power forward, New York Knicks (No. 8 overall)

Toppin became the best player in college basketball because of his energetic rim runs and explosive rolls to the basket, shooting a remarkable 70% from inside the arc thanks to an ideal blend of urgency, bounce and touch, with almost all of his minutes coming at the 5. Toppin's 39% clip from distance his sophomore season at Dayton was the cherry on top of his true NBA skill -- his energy.

Toppin spent most of an inconsistent rookie season as a perimeter-oriented 4 for the Knicks, either spaced out to the corner or picking and popping. According to CleaningTheGlass.com, 39% of his shots came from 3, with just 45% at the rim. As a result, Toppin generated 1.7 free throw attempts per 40 minutes, had his ups and downs on defense, shot 30.9% from 3 and didn't live up to expectations as a 23-year-old rookie drafted eighth overall to his hometown Knicks.

Although he's made just two 3s (on 19 attempts) this season, Toppin is back to his bread and butter that made him a fan favorite in college, terrorizing opposing defenses with his speed and activity as a dynamic dive man. Toppin's become a bench sparkplug for the 8-6 Knicks, energizing Madison Square Garden every time he's on the floor. With Toppin on the court, the Knicks play an up-tempo style, scoring 15.8 more points per 100 possessions than when he sits. He's built great chemistry with point guard Derrick Rose, featured in far more empty-side pick-and-rolls, allowing him to utilize his ability to slip out of screens quickly, explode off the ground to catch lobs and whip the ball to an open teammate if he catches in the short roll. Even when he shares the floor with bigs Taj Gibson or Nerlens Noel, they'll space them out to the short corner to give Toppin more of a runway as the dive man. They'll also use him as a roller in double-drags next to center Mitchell Robinson, using his quickness to dart behind the defense for lobs.

Of the 114 players to have set at least 75 screens this season, Toppin is generating the second-most points per chance, behind Golden State's Draymond Green, according to Second Spectrum. In the modern 4 role he played last season, Toppin's upright handle, tight hips and streaky shooting were exacerbated. But when he's able to play in space against shifting defenses without having to use too many dribbles, he's a real weapon. His elite straight-line speed is finally being utilized with more regularity, and his feel for functioning as the roller has helped him post a 74.4 eFG% in the restricted area. He ranks 15th in the NBA in 2-point percentage and is attempting 6.0 free throws per 40 minutes.

While the jumper and defense are still a work in progress, Toppin has rediscovered his offensive identity, and all it took was the Knicks picking up on what made him so dynamic at Dayton.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Well whatever changes our front office does it has to be quick. We forget RJ Barrett rookie extension is up and it’s 5 years 181 million dollars (36.2 million a year).

NY's #1 Draft Pick

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Very disappointing. I had a bad feeling about that closing lineup choice, though I wasn't expecting Rose and Quickley to have two costly turnovers
They took out the centers as soon as Orlando saw that Wagner darted to the rim and killed the momentum.

Last edited: