"Death to the Pessimistic State of Mind" - Nas Voice: NYK '23 Pre-Season Thread

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I think Grimes is far from a fringe player. His defense is way better than Kemba and Fournier
That man hasn’t played enough at the NBA level to make that type of determination. He may defend better than Fournier…doesn’t mean he deserves to START as a rookie.

He was a projected second rounder and has issues with shot creation and finishing at the basket…defensively he’s a good effort solid on-ball guy not much is known of his off-ball defense on this level and he’s not particularly long or overly athletic or anything would still have a lot to learn. I don’t think he would have the impact y’all think.

Y’all calling for these young nikkas like they some saviors. How about just giving Quickley and Toppin more minutes. :russell:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Recap is up, I hit Thibs as hard as I did Kemba and Fournier. I'm in the "start IQ" camp too. Maybe some time with Rose will get Fournier back in his groove. I'd keep Rose leading the bench because everyone feeds off him. I wouldn't mind either Burks or IQ starting. Burks gives you a rebounding bump (low key that starting crew gets SMACKED on long rebounds every time) and IQ is the most North/South player in the second unit after Rose.

Other thoughts, more looks for Obi is an obvious fix and I have no clue why that's been so hard to figure out for Thibs.

RJ scored at every level in the first quarter which shows his all-around potential, but then he didn't make another FG which shows his inconsistency.

Randle shouldn't be blamed for this one...yes he played hero ball, look at the production of his teammates though and it starts to make sense.

The three point defense collapse is because the closeouts are half-assed. When the bench closed out like bats out of hell, the got the stops and only slowed down when fatigue set in after fifteen minutes straight with no subs.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I don't think he trusts the knee yet. There are opening and lanes that he's not attacking. It's not that he's too slow, it's not that he can't...he's just hesitating. The play where he pump faked Jrue Holiday into orbit and wound up throwing the ball out of bounds...he's gotta go at Giannis and make the Freak choose "defend me or deny the pass" but he slowed up and let Giannis do both by just chilling in betwee. There's a lot of that.

I also wonder if part of his slow-down is just not being sure how much he should assert himself as a newcomer with Randle and Barrett already established in the pecking order.

Darkman

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Recap is up, I hit Thibs as hard as I did Kemba and Fournier. I'm in the "start IQ" camp too. Maybe some time with Rose will get Fournier back in his groove. I'd keep Rose leading the bench because everyone feeds off him. I wouldn't mind either Burks or IQ starting. Burks gives you a rebounding bump (low key that starting crew gets SMACKED on long rebounds every time) and IQ is the most North/South player in the second unit after Rose.

Other thoughts, more looks for Obi is an obvious fix and I have no clue why that's been so hard to figure out for Thibs.

RJ scored at every level in the first quarter which shows his all-around potential, but then he didn't make another FG which shows his inconsistency.

Randle shouldn't be blamed for this one...yes he played hero ball, look at the production of his teammates though and it starts to make sense.

The three point defense collapse is because the closeouts are half-assed. When the bench closed out like bats out of hell, the got the stops and only slowed down when fatigue set in after fifteen minutes straight with no subs.

You are one of the guys from Knicks fans TV ? …. I watch every night…… props on the recaps

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Play grimes

Any other coach would be playing him because he's a young 2 way player but we know how Thibs rolls. In the limited meaningful minutes he's played this season, he's been effective out there offensively & definitely defensively. He could really help with our perimeter defense with Kemba or Rose

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
That man hasn’t played enough at the NBA level to make that type of determination. He may defend better than Fournier…doesn’t mean he deserves to START as a rookie.

He was a projected second rounder and has issues with shot creation and finishing at the basket…defensively he’s a good effort solid on-ball guy not much is known of his off-ball defense on this level and he’s not particularly long or overly athletic or anything would still have a lot to learn. I don’t think he would have the impact y’all think.

Y’all calling for these young nikkas like they some saviors. How about just giving Quickley and Toppin more minutes. :russell:

I don't think he should start but he should be getting some minutes off the bench. He's got way better feet & defensive instincts than Fournier & can actually hit an open J unlike a certain coli favorite that was released lol. Especially for games like yesterday where the starting backcourt produced nothing & we got torched by the 3 because of perimeter D. He's definitely no savior but defensively he's better than Fournier even at this point

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Out of all our players the analytics dislike R.J.’s defense the most :francis:

He’s sitting at a -2.5 defensive box plus minus, -4.7 on/off, a team worse 115 defensive rating among rotational players, he is averaging less than half a steal and half a block a game, has only accumulated 0.1 defensive win shares through the first 10 games…

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Out of all our players the analytics dislike R.J.’s defense the most :francis:

He’s sitting at a -2.5 defensive box plus minus, -4.7 on/off, a team worse 115 defensive rating among rotational players, he is averaging less than half a steal and half a block a game, has only accumulated 0.1 defensive win shares through the first 10 games…
Nicca get off Rj dikk . You can’t wait to hate on him