Deadline: Disney-Sony Standoff Ends Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige’s Involvement In ‘Spider-Man’

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
:mjlol: How this thread became the battleground for a stan war..... primarily because of 3 DC stans.

:russ:
They could not live with their brand they stan own failures or Marvel success. Where did that bring them? Back to the stan war.

I thought by eliminating half of the Marvel stan post the others half would chill and thrive, but y’all have shown us... that's impossible. As long as there are those DC stans that still wanna pop shyt and Clark Kent’s that don’t want call THEM out on their stanning, there will always be those that are unable to accept what can be....PEACE. They will resist.

:mjgrin:
:russ:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
So some brehs in here trolling or stating they love to see Sony sell Spider-Man to WB.

Basically for no other solid reason just so that can so call “laugh at Marvel”

Well if that’s the case, going the other way. I wouldn’t even be mad at that.:ehh:

I’d then equally like to see Disney do what Marvel was tempted to do and buy Superman

How Marvel almost Ended up Owning DC Comics Superman, Batman & More — GeekTyrant

Can you imagine a world in which Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Green Lanternbelonged to the Marvel Universe? Apparently it actually almost happened! one of Marvel's most controversial editors, Jim Shooter, revealed that Marvel almost bought a bunch of these DC comics superhero properties back in the early 80's.

Back in 1984 DC Comics was going through a rough time, while Marvel was thriving and dominating the market. Because of DC's hard times Bill Sarnoff of Warner Communications contacted Shooter and told him they were interested in offering them the licensing and publishing rights for all DC characters.

Here's the full explanation of what went down with this deal via Shooters blog,

Bill said, more or less, that Marvel seemed to be able to turn a substantial profit on publishing comics, as opposed to DC, which consistently lost money, a lot of money, and had for a long time. On the other hand, LCA (Licensing Corporation of America), Warner’s licensing arm did very well with the DC properties, while Marvel “didn’t seem to do much licensing.”

I guess the few million a year we made from licensing, mostly from Spider-Man, seemed paltry to him, what with the fortune that just their big four, Superman, Batman, Robin and Wonder Woman brought in.

I told him I thought Marvel would be very interested, and that I would discuss it with Marvel’s President, Jim Galton.

So, I did. I told Galton about my conversation with Sarnoff. Galton said he’d give Sarnoff a call.

The next day, I went upstairs, poked my head into Galton’s office and asked whether he’d called Sarnoff and, if so, how that went?

Galton said he told Sarnoff we weren’t interested.

I was stunned. Why not?!

Galton said—and this is prima facie evidence of the fact that he missed Comic Books 101 in publishing school—since DC books weren’t selling, “those characters must not be any good.”

Great Krypton!

Trying not to sound too crazed, I explained that they were great characters and that the DC editorial people were, frankly, doing a pretty poor job with them. And that we could do better. A lot better.

I talked him into calling Sarnoff back and telling him we’d give it some thought.

I left his office with instructions to put together a business plan and present it to Joe Calamari, Executive V.P. of Business Affairs.

It took me about three days to put together a presentable plan.

The first part of the business plan was the publishing plan. I decided that we should launch with seven titles and build from there, if all went well. The titles were:

SUPERMAN
BATMAN
WONDER WOMAN
GREEN LANTERN
TEEN TITANS
JUSTICE LEAGUE
LEGION OF SUPER HEROES

I projected that we would sell 39 million copies the first two years generating a pre-tax profit (gross revenues less cost of goods sold, royalties, staff, SG&A, etc.) of roughly $3,500,000.

That was huge money for a comic book publisher in 1984.

That was with just the original seven titles—no expansion of the line—though if we were doing that well, obviously, we’d add titles. Slowly and carefully, if I had anything to say about it.

I anticipated adding one editor, two assistants and one production person to start.

Calamari enthusiastically endorsed my plan.

Galton was still skeptical. He thought my projections were crazy high. He sent the plan to the circulation department to review.

Somebody leaked. Rumors spread.

My first clue was when John Byrneshowed up in my office one day with his cover for…

It wasn’t a sketch. It was a cover. Might even have been inked, I forget. I don’t have a copy of the thing, but I’ll bet Byrne still has the original. Somebody should ask him to display it on his site if he hasn’t already.

He had a story worked out, too, as I recall. He reallyreallyreally wanted to do Superman.

I think I remember Byrne telling me once that he had watched the first Superman movie over 1,100 times.

Anyway….

When the circulation department said they had completed their analysis of my plan, Galton called a meeting to discuss it. Besides Galton and me, Ed Shukin, V.P. of Circulation and Direct Sales Manager Carol Kalish were present. I don’t think Calamari was there. V.P. of Finance Barry Kaplan might have been.

Galton asked what Shukin’s take on my numbers was. Shukin said the numbers were “ridiculous.” Galton sort of smirked at me.

“We’ll do more than DOUBLE these numbers,” Shukin said.

Oh, my stars and garters!

And so, negotiations with Sarnoff began in earnest. I was a spectator at that point. The suits took over.

However….

Very soon thereafter, First Comics launched a lawsuit against Marvel Comics and others, alleging anti-trust violations, among other things.

One test of anti-competitive market dominance is market share of 70% or more. At that time Marvel held a nearly 70% share, 69-point-something. DC was around 18%.

I think it’s safe to say that when you’re being sued under anti-trust laws, it’s a bad time to devour your largest competitor.

On the other hand, there is the “we-have-a-clue-and-they-don’t” or “superior acumen” defense. We considered arguing that defense and pressing on with the deal.

But, no. Ultimately, the suits and lawyers decided to play it safe and backed away from the DC deal.

Jeepers!

P.S. First’s suit was nonsense. They alleged that we had flooded the market. Our actual increase in releases published during the “flood” year from the year before? Six. Six issues, not series. They alleged that we had used our dominance to fix prices with World Color Press to inflate their costs. In discovery, it came out that we were paying more than they were! (And that news made Galton and the print production people very peeved!) Etc.

Anyway….

I’ll write more about the First suit someday. Enough about that for now.

Net result, no SUPERMAN –First Marvel Issue! Too bad. It would have been fun.

Then make a Billion dollar Superman movie with Brandon Routhe :mjgrin:

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
That's besides the point. Until 5 years ago only hardcore fans knew who those 2 were.

Spider-Man is a fukking ICON.

Like Batman, Superman level.

A whole other 22 flicks without Spider-Man is a disaster for Disney.
True spiderman fans only fukk with Spiderman 2 and the MCU spiderman. This shyt will flop at the hands of Sony. No avid comic book reader is jumping on board to have Sony producers fukk up their project with rushed delivery like they did to Raimi.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas

He has the option to choose to be in at least one more spiderman flick under Sony. If he drops out, it's just another reboot and uhhh...good luck with that.
:mjlol:
Matter fact, Sony has 2 years to find another actor, and make another spiderman movie or else the rights go back to Marvel. They can but it will flop badly.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
He has the option to choose to be in at least one more spiderman flick under Sony. If he drops out, it's just another reboot and uhhh...good luck with that.
:mjlol:
Matter fact, Sony has 2 years to find another actor, and make another spiderman movie or else the rights go back to Marvel. They can but it will flop badly.
JuSt BrInG bAcK gArFiElD :troll:

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
These movies aren't making money because of "avid comic book readers" though.
Mostly kids. They will watch anything with superheroes even if it's trash like the X men flicks. Or when we watched Mortal Kombat annihilation as kids.

Last edited:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I just wanna (at this point) see Sony attempt to make a Spider-ham movie and DC do a Detective Chimp movie.:russ:

Both life action:lolbron:

Just curious if they could get them over and make them more popular than a Racc00n, a tree, and a rock alien:mjgrin:

parallax

Superstar
Daps
I just wanna (at this point) see Sony attempt to make a Spider-ham movie and DC do a Detective Chimp movie.:russ:

Both life action:lolbron:

Just curious if they could get them over and make them more popular than a Racc00n, a tree, and a rock alien:mjgrin:

And marvel can finally give me that Howard the duck sequel I've always wanted. And no I'm not joking.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m seeing a lot of “insider” people posting a lot of cryptic shyt over twitter alluding to a deal being made :patrice:

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
True spiderman fans only fukk with Spiderman 2 and the MCU spiderman. This shyt will flop at the hands of Sony. No avid comic book reader is jumping on board to have Sony producers fukk up their project with rushed delivery like they did to Raimi.

If I own the most valuable car it may be my only one and the biggest seller in the world can't live without it

Should I keep a steady payment (worth billions) in my favor forever or be outta biz in a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.