DC's "Black Adam" (Oct. 21, 2022)

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
dc ass at keeping the film moving & giving backstory at the same time

take a bunch of fire characters & make them feel generic

their pen trash

!!!

Same thing happens in their comics, and it's the biggest advantage Marvel has always had over them: character development. Before Marvel went full tilt with the events, their strongest comics were the ones in between the events themselves. Hero, villain, antihero, whoever...they took the time to flesh out a character's backstory and explain the why of things. They've nailed that target for damn near half a century, and it works. So even when they switch up the formula in the MCU, even casual fans will at least have a passing knowledge of character motivations and be able to compare between comic and film. That sparks further discussions about what could have been done better, what was done right, which version they prefer, etc.

DC? Outside of hardcore DC stans, casual viewers have no idea what's going on once you move beyond the tentpole JL characters and (maaaaaybe) their villains. Everything suffers as a result, comics, DCEU, all of it. The one division where they've had undisputed success is in animation, and that's because McDuffie/Timm gave them a focus and reputation - better writing, better storylines, better character arcs, better everything - that they've been coasting on ever since.

DC refuses to learn. They're going to keep getting their lunch money snatched until they smarten the hell up.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
damn you gonna just disrespect the fukking joker like that :gucci:
Joker isn’t going to headline a 100 issue series.

You can do stories about villains but to break away from confines of the titular character is hard. Even Catwoman can’t do it.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
In hindsight they should've just based this movie off the Black Reign storyline and swapped out a few things so it could work for the DCEU. This movie probably would've done a lot better if DC had done that :francis:

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
dc ass at keeping the film moving & giving backstory at the same time

take a bunch of fire characters & make them feel generic

their pen trash

pretty much

I watched this last night, and it was just boring. Hawkman & Fate were good

but I was disinterested with the movie within the first 15 minutes when they gave us a stupid, bland quick backstory on the Black Adam story with bad narration, just a terrible set piece for the overall movie

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps

I COPPED THIS ON VUDU.

shyt WAS FIRE.

HAWKMAN MAKES FALCON
LOOK LIKE A JOKE.

THE JSA REPRESENTED WELL.

I HOPE GUNN KEEPS ALL OF
THESE CHARACTERS AROUND.

:devil:
:evil:

Cats like the MCU formula with the sidekick black characters and no real shakeups. They don't even have an R rated film, while DC ain't afraid of going there.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This probably isn't even worth watching given the fact that Gunn is about to lay waste to everything before him and that it didn't do that amazing anyway.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So it's not worth it to watch movies that aren't apart of a universe?
It's a comic book movie that was envisioned as part of an ongoing series. It isn't a movie intended to stand alone so when you get to the end of the movie it's not like it's concerned with wrapping itself up. It probably ends in some sequel tease.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Cats like the MCU formula with the sidekick black characters and no real shakeups. They don't even have an R rated film, while DC ain't afraid of going there.

HAWKMAN IS THE DOPEST
BLACK SUPERHERO WEVE EVER
HAD IN LIVE ACTION...

AND HE HELD HIS OWN
FIGHTING MUCH MORE POWERFUL BEINGS.

THIS IS HOW TCHALLA SHOULD
HAVE BEEN DEPICTED.

STRAIGHT ALPHA BOSS STATUS.
:devil:
:evil:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I downloaded a high quality torrent...

I tried to give this a chance... but it felt like a video game with the slow mo and CGI.

I just can't get into these DC movies.

Man of Steel was the ONLY DCEU flick that felt somewhat unique (even with its flaws).

They should just start over and reboot everything.