Dave Ramsey says that kids need to pay their College tuition in cash, never take out a student loan

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
I worked at a grocery store in high school for like 7 bucks an hour and my moms was dipping into that check too tbh. I was selling Reggie just get some Polo and some 1s . I don’t think this cac understands how poor and credit reliant this country is.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
You wouldn't leave with debt was my point.
You can spend more than a decade paying after the degree or pay as you go using what's available.
No need to take those government loans unless nobody guided you or you really had to go to X school.
I agree with you. I wish I did this myself but this cac don't give a fukk about debt. He bytching about young adults not adulting like the older generations did. Student loans or not, starting and maintaining a family is more expensive now than its ever been

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
How many classes do you think you can take working 25 hours a week?

I took 15-16 credits as a bio-chem/computer engineering major (I switched Junior year) and I spent between 30-40 hours outside of class studying. Easily 10-20 hours a weekend. Math and physics kicked my ass and the only way I could do well was to to do 20-40 problems a week and there were some problems that took hours to solve (fukk Laplace and Fourier transforms). Actually fukk orgo reactions biochem pathways as well.

If you're living at home you have to account for travel time. I did one semester commuting from Randallstown md to college Park md. That's an hour+ commute both ways. Two beltways (695/495 and 95) It was so bad I had to drop 2 classes and retake them in the summer.

Your answer to my story will be to take less classes but you have to remember that will cost you time which is also money which is important when trying to secure a place in the housing or stock market.

Anyways, you're awake for 112 hours a week, after 55 hours towards school and 14 hours for travel, you're left with 43 hours total. Theoretically it's possible to dedicate 25 hours to work you'll be be left with 18 hours to fukk off with over 7 days. That's about 2 hours of free time per day. Finals and mid terms will fukk that up easily. Hell, a random 10 page paper will fukk that up too (but then again I didn't have have chat jip-a-tee in my day 👴🏿)

I guess that's enough time for groceries and cooking. If you can pull that off I'll personally write a new NEW testament for you because you will officially be a god.

This math not right, and you still wouldn’t be able to pay for instate tuition and what jobs paying 20 hr and you only working part time

You shouldn't be working and going to class.

You graduate high school at 17 - 18. Take two years off to work full time, then enroll in college. Even if you have $15,000 saved that's still a big chunk. Add in scholarships and grants and you'll have $25,000 easy. You'll be 20 years old, still young enough to enjoy the college life and you'll come out debt free.

There's nothing wrong with waiting for college. People wait all the time. People go back to college in their 30s and 40s

Veteran
Daps
I'm surprised everyone missed what he was saying. He's just saying it's not worth going into debt for, which is proven by the stats he laid out in the beginning.

I complain alot, but Dave is right. If you took two years off after highschool, that's enough time to save about $12,000 - $20,000 cash. Add in scholarships and grants and you going in with about $30,000.

If I could start over, I'd work 2 years after highschool and save while living at home.

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
I complain alot, but Dave is right. If you took two years off after highschool, that's enough time to save about $12,000 - $20,000 cash. Add in scholarships and grants and you going in with about $30,000.

If I could start over, I'd work 2 years after highschool and save while living at home.
Also, there's a benefit to going to JUCO for two years and figuring things out.
Thinking you need to borrow and spend all this money for a college education is false.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
You shouldn't be working and going to class.

I assumed they'd be doing both since you mentioned working 25 hours.

You graduate high school at 17 - 18. Take two years off to work full time, then enroll in college. Even if you have $15,000 saved that's still a big chunk. Add in scholarships and grants and you'll have $25,000 easy. You'll be 20 years old, still young enough to enjoy the college life and you'll come out debt free.

There's nothing wrong with waiting for college. People wait all the time. People go back to college in their 30s and 40s

8uo84d.jpg

12.5% of college students are awarded a scholarship and only 3% of them get more than $2500.

Veteran
Daps
I assumed they'd be doing both since you mentioned working 25 hours.

8uo84d.jpg

12.5% of college students are awarded a scholarship and only 3% of them get more than $2500.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with working 40 hours a week after highschool, saving, then going to college. Let's say you get a job making $15/hr working 40 hours a week, that's $2400/month gross and $1800/month net. Save $1000/month. After 2 years that's $24,000 cash. Pell Grant gives you another $2500/per semester. That's a huge chunk of money without even mentioning community college.

Dave isn't far off from what he's saying. It might be boomer advice, but it's good advice. Taking 2 years off school to work and save will put you leaps and bounds past your pupils.

As far as scholarships, how many of those students even take time to apply? My school had tons of scholarships that hardly anyone applied for.

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
you surely can, you just aren't going to a university or state college. and most of corporate america looks down on JuCos/online....
I disagree. I've been on a lot of interviews and offered a lot of jobs. We almost never discuss where I received my degree from, just that I have it.

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
Gen X atleast yall had the Clinton Years....the Obama years wasn't that bad...but we needed more progressive Presidents and Congressmen/women to be more forward thinking.
The Clinton yrs wasn't what a lot of ppl like to remember. Towards the end of his run is what ppl romanticize about his presidency.