Dave Ramsey says that kids need to pay their College tuition in cash, never take out a student loan

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
It's really easy to see how a message can get misinterpreted.
I would recommend listening to his show for a week. It might not be for you, but thousands of people have gotten themselves into better financial positions following his system.
His methods for tackling debt are effective, no doubt, and yes, people can find stable incomes and meaningful work without having a college degree.

That being said, the big issue is the COST of college and why it seems like they are price gouging.

Smart young people should have access to higher education. Some folks are disadvantaged and need a helping hand, a leg up, etc. College shouldn’t be completely off the table because you weren’t born to successful parents.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
I mean....if we all studied and got great grades yea or geaux to a JUCO....but how about keeping jobs in America or make college affordable since you need people with education to thrive as a nation.
college inflation over the years has been crazy

my dad put himself through college by driving a bus and working at the airport...
it was much cheaper then.

the answer is its because the same folks that run and work in these schools are the same ones that say they are "for the people" (blue haired liberals).
They're living off government subsides and in turn inflating the cost of going to school.

with that said...
Ramsey aint wrong.

The idea that everyone should go to college is outdated.
You should have a plan when you go...A plan to make money when you get out.

Going the juco route is probably a good idea for a lot of folks too...
but college is sold as a big ass party to kids so nobody wants to do that

Last edited:

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
college inflation over the years has been crazy

my dad put himself through college by driving a bus and working at the airport...
it was much cheaper then.

the answer is its because the same folks that run and work in these schools are the same ones that say they are "for the people".
They're living off government subsides and in turn inflating the cost of going to school
I heard stories. That's why I'm all for JUCOs being FREE. That way you only have 2 yrs of debt max. You study hard and get a scholarship for Masters.

It don't even matter no more for real. This cou try is done.

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
He'd be correct if one did it the proper, modern way, i.e., excel in high school, take AP classes and earn scholarships to help pay tuition and other fees, go the community college route and transfer to a university that will accept ALL of the classes that you've already taken, and work a job to help make payments as well.

The issue is that takes some serious mental fortitude and strong wok ethic, and is very unrealistic in today's climate. That's why I just joined the military because I wasn't about struggling for 4-5 years with life, school and employment.

If you qualify for the Pell Grant, the above is definitely doable.

Edit: Sophia is also a great method to earn college credit. I'm able to knock out half of my associates through that shít:wow:

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I complain alot, but Dave is right. If you took two years off after highschool, that's enough time to save about $12,000 - $20,000 cash. Add in scholarships and grants and you going in with about $30,000.

If I could start over, I'd work 2 years after highschool and save while living at home.
:what::what::what:I graduated in 07 from Highschool, economies ass fell out, couldn't get a job until 08, and there was not nearly enough savings to be on some "i'm going to college" shyt. Like most of the people I graduated with, IF they got a job after highschool, most were part time and not because that is what we wanted. This is not a popular not palatable path for most.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
:what::what::what:I graduated in 07 from Highschool, economies ass fell out, couldn't get a job until 08, and there was not nearly enough savings to be on some "i'm going to college" shyt. Like most of the people I graduated with, IF they got a job after highschool, most were part time and not because that is what we wanted. This is not a popular not palatable path for most.

Why are you bringing up 2006? That's 18 years ago. Every restaurant, warehouse, and diner I drive by got a hiring sign.

Veteran
Daps
He'd be correct if one did it the proper, modern way, i.e., excel in high school, take AP classes and earn scholarships to help pay tuition and other fees, go the community college route and transfer to a university that will accept ALL of the classes that you've already taken, and work a job to help make payments as well.

The issue is that takes some serious mental fortitude and strong wok ethic, and is very unrealistic in today's climate. That's why I just joined the military because I wasn't about struggling for 4-5 years with life, school and employment.

If you qualify for the Pell Grant, the above is definitely doable.

Edit: Sophia is also a great method to earn college credit. I'm able to knock out half of my associates through that shít:wow:

You said it B. Dudes in here making excuse after excuse.

Veteran
Daps
His methods for tackling debt are effective, no doubt, and yes, people can find stable incomes and meaningful work without having a college degree.

That being said, the big issue is the COST of college and why it seems like they are price gouging.

Smart young people should have access to higher education. Some folks are disadvantaged and need a helping hand, a leg up, etc. College shouldn’t be completely off the table because you weren’t born to successful parents.

College isn't off the table. It could certainly be cheaper, but it isn't off the table.

Get a job and save up. Are we saying that's a difficult task?

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
What I have learned is the real move is if you can make that much without school, you stack, get some years under your belt, and go back to college after you already got your weight up a bit. I'm basically doing the same thing paying for school 100% out of pocket now. I'm washed in age, though.

This.

Also, don’t rule out local community colleges as well. Yea, they may not have the networks and resources of major universities, but at the end of the day you can get a degree with very little and possibly no debt hanging over your head.