Albums Dave East - Survival (Discussion Thread)

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
because there are countless songs with the same beat. yeah he went hard on it but it sounds like the same shyt, hard to differentiate between some of the other that have put out same sounding song.
Need a Sign and Mama I Made It are the gems of this album and two of the best songs East ever made.
Are we listening to rappers for the bars or the beats? I :mindblown:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Are we listening to rappers for the bars or the beats? I :mindblown:

you do you fam, but I dont listen to anybody if the beat is trash, idgaf who it is and if they arent a great rapper, makes it even worse. KGR is one of my favorite rappers but half his shyt I dont listen to because the beats are wack. if beats dont matter then rappers would just release acapellas and would need no reason to pay producers right? nikka this aint spoken word. :martin:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
you do you fam, but I dont listen to anybody if the beat is trash, idgaf who it is and if they arent a great rapper, makes it even worse. KGR is one of my favorite rappers but half his shyt I dont listen to because the beats are wack. if beats dont matter then rappers would just release acapellas and would need no reason to pay producers right? nikka this aint spoken word. :martin:
Why not just listen to beat tapes then? Why even have a rapper on it? Might as well just listen to house or techno.:mindblown:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
It's kinda funny how y'all don't have similar artistic requirements for the so called "hot rappers" that be making these hits y'all love shaking ya asses to at the clubs. Talk about generic.....

Dave East "Traumatized" is the definition of a Banger!! I'm still confused how that song didn't get bigger. That's some serious east coast RIDER music right there...
nikkas don't care about lyrics. Look at the muck mouths they listen to.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikkas don't care about lyrics. Look at the muck mouths they listen to.

beats AND rhymes comprise HIP HOP. you can argue this all day but will be arguing alone. I am all about lyrics but if the beats aint there its not the same. why do rappers go to Pete Rock, 9th Wonder, Apollo Brown, etc...? let some of these cats produce their own shyt and see how fast their career is over with. :mjlol:

check out the new David Bars that came out today. He said, nikkas rapping like they from Atlanta but they aint from Atlanta, just dikkriding. This is why NY artists like East cant hold down a specific fan base. The people that like this album, like it for the beats by Araabmuzik, Timbo, Green Lantern, and V Don. Just ask around. if we want to hear trap beats we can here that from 100's of other rappers, particularly from down south. Dont want to hear that shyt from East.

I Know You Got Soul was a lyrical masterpiece, but the music is what made people dance and buy the record. Thats what you call a COMPLETE record.

lastly, I listen to battle rap....do you? if you dont then you shouldnt even try to argue about lyrics on a hip hop forum. :francis:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lyrical appreciation is a dying tradition sadly

you dudes man. :gucci: peep this thread that I update best albums on...

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/201...d-throughout-year.695043/page-2#post-35359875

I rarely listen to ANYONE who isnt lyrical. there is no one I posted in there that East is better than lyrically than maybe Spitta. nikka East aint fukkin with no damn Milano, Planet Asia, Billy Danze, Skyzoo, Phonte, RJ Payne....you serious breh??? :snoop: right now a nikka like eto is shytting all over East lyrically :mjlol: and his production is MUCH better! Flee Lord, 38 Spesh all them nikkas is hittin with beats and rhymes.

yall really in here saying nikkas dont appreciate lyrics because Dave East aint gettin numbers???

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
you dudes man. :gucci: peep this thread that I update best albums on...

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/201...d-throughout-year.695043/page-2#post-35359875

I rarely listen to ANYONE who isnt lyrical. there is no one I posted in there that East is better than lyrically than maybe Spitta. nikka East aint fukkin with no damn Milano, Planet Asia, Billy Danze, Skyzoo, Phonte, RJ Payne....you serious breh??? :snoop: right now a nikka like eto is shytting all over East lyrically :mjlol: and his production is MUCH better! Flee Lord, 38 Spesh all them nikkas is hittin with beats and rhymes.

yall really in here saying nikkas dont appreciate lyrics because Dave East aint gettin numbers???
You and I clearly listen for different things. I play instruments so when I want to listen to music I listen to actual instrumentation. I don't go to rap for musical accompaniment. I go for bars. You are right Dave isn't better than any of the dudes you mentioned but let's not act like his bars are garbage.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes. I do.

so then you cant say I listen to rap just for the music and I dont care about lyrics. :yeshrug: I rarely listen to anyone who isnt SUPER lyrical. there are a few that I like, like Nip, but its very few. Nip's production was top notch. East is dope when he wants to be. that happens to be when he isnt talking the same drug talk on every ordinary beat but being introspective and telling stories over fantastic soundscapes. :blessed: if only he could realize this. but hey, maybe East isnt complaining...only his hardcore fans are mad that he isnt moving units or streams.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You and I clearly listen for different things. I play instruments so when I want to listen to music I listen to actual instrumentation. I don't go to rap for musical accompaniment. I go for bars. You are right Dave isn't better than any of the dudes you mentioned but let's not act like his bars are garbage.

see, I never said that....lol. I said some of his beats were wack or sounded like everything else on the radio and you said so we listening to rap for beats now. you cant find a post on this site where I trashed East lyrically.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
so then you cant say I listen to rap just for the music and I dont care about lyrics. :yeshrug: I rarely listen to anyone who isnt SUPER lyrical. there are a few that I like, like Nip, but its very few. Nip's production was top notch. East is dope when he wants to be. that happens to be when he isnt talking the same drug talk on every ordinary beat but being introspective and telling stories over fantastic soundscapes. :blessed: if only he could realize this. but hey, maybe East isnt complaining...only his hardcore fans are mad that he isnt moving units or streams.
I actually just asked. Do you listen to rap for one or the other. I didn't say you only did. I wish battle rap was bigger than it is. It adds legitimacy to rap imo. Everyone needs to be tested.

You don't think East was introspective on this album? I feel like he told a few stories. Yes the drug talk is overdone, but he did bare a bit of his soul.

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
listened to it again this morning when I went my walk...still feel the same way.
this is a Termanology Poitics As Usual level forgettable official debut. a dud.

I don''t even pay attention to that stuff but those projected numbers can't be real..are they ?
he should be doing that on accident and doing like 12 to 15. how you seen as handsome but doing Hell Rell numbers ?

Last edited:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

actually I will sum it up for you and I have posted this before....East can put together a classic album if he didnt try so hard to sound like others or try to please a wide range of fans from Nas fans to trap fans. trust me, if I didnt like East, I wouldnt be in here posting about him. I dont post about artists I dont give a fukk about and I didnt come in here to hate either.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I keep seeing Dave might get dropped, and he should go to an indie. Mass Appeal is an indie. Now I don't know what's going to happen with what he has going on with Def Jam.