Albums Dave East - Survival (Discussion Thread)

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
actually I will sum it up for you and I have posted this before....East can put together a classic album if he didnt try so hard to sound like others or try to please a wide range of fans from Nas fans to trap fans. trust me, if I didnt like East, I wouldnt be in here posting about him. I dont post about artists I dont give a fukk about and I didnt come in here to hate either.
I understand.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I actually just asked. Do you listen to rap for one or the other. I didn't say you only did. I wish battle rap was bigger than it is. It adds legitimacy to rap imo. Everyone needs to be tested.

You don't think East was introspective on this album? I feel like he told a few stories.
Yes the drug talk is overdone, but he did bare a bit of his soul.

you arent following me. I said that is when he is at his best. which obviously I was speaking of this album and previous ones. I posted in the Survival thread that Need A Sign and Mama I Made It was some of his best work. my only issue with the album is it had about 5-6 songs that didnt need to be on there, whether the production was weak or he just seemed to sleep through the entire track with uninspired or run of the mill drug raps and Gucci raps.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
you arent following me. I said that is when he is at his best. which obviously I was speaking of this album and previous ones. I posted in the Survival thread that Need A Sign and Mama I Made It was some of his best work. my only issue with the album is it had about 5-6 songs that didnt need to be on there, whether the production was weak or he just seemed to sleep through the entire track with uninspired or run of the mill drug raps and Gucci raps.
Ah I see. Agreed.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ah I see. Agreed.

Dave is dope, but the problem is he has a limited base like us and he sometimes alienates that very base with less than consistent focus or effort throughout and entire project. so thats why his numbers are weak because its TOO much music coming every week now. Survival had such a disruptive stretch in it that it makes me not want to really stream it unless there was nothing better to listen to...and thats the problem, there is.

Today you have Styles P, David Bars EP, and Fred The Godson albums released. Also DJ Shadow released an album with a ton of lyricists like Monch, De La, Ghost and INS, Pusha, and incidentally DAVE EAST!!! so I am peeping those and I gave the new Onyx album a stream. then last week you had Planet Asia/Milano, Apollo Brown, elcamion, and a couple weeks before that, Sheek Louch, Smoke DZA/Benny....so its a great time for listeners but its cutthroat for rappers. and 38 Spesh drops crack every 3 months whether its rapping or producing. too much to listen to everybody.

Indy is probably the best way for East to go, he can drop heat whenever he wants and keep his music career alive.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
you dudes man. :gucci: peep this thread that I update best albums on...

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/201...d-throughout-year.695043/page-2#post-35359875

I rarely listen to ANYONE who isnt lyrical. there is no one I posted in there that East is better than lyrically than maybe Spitta. nikka East aint fukkin with no damn Milano, Planet Asia, Billy Danze, Skyzoo, Phonte, RJ Payne....you serious breh??? :snoop: right now a nikka like eto is shytting all over East lyrically :mjlol: and his production is MUCH better! Flee Lord, 38 Spesh all them nikkas is hittin with beats and rhymes.

yall really in here saying nikkas dont appreciate lyrics because Dave East aint gettin numbers???
He not in them dusty backpack nikkas lane to even be mentioned with them

Also East>Skyzoo :scusthov:

SnowflakesByTheOZ

Sorry, that's another B
Daps
you dudes man. :gucci: peep this thread that I update best albums on...

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/201...d-throughout-year.695043/page-2#post-35359875

I rarely listen to ANYONE who isnt lyrical. there is no one I posted in there that East is better than lyrically than maybe Spitta. nikka East aint fukkin with no damn Milano, Planet Asia, Billy Danze, Skyzoo, Phonte, RJ Payne....you serious breh??? :snoop: right now a nikka like eto is shytting all over East lyrically :mjlol: and his production is MUCH better! Flee Lord, 38 Spesh all them nikkas is hittin with beats and rhymes.

yall really in here saying nikkas dont appreciate lyrics because Dave East aint gettin numbers???
Bro I wasn't coming at you in any way. I agree with you yes there's still a number of us that fukk with lyricism but I think we're getting outnumbered in terms of the grand scheme. I'm not gonna quote the poster cause I don't wanna start shyt but I saw someone post on here that "bars are boring" and "where's the melodies" ? Brehs 17 yrs old and under ain't really checking for lyrics sadly and sadly that's reflected in the Dave East sales...

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Bro I wasn't coming at you in any way. I agree with you yes there's still a number of us that fukk with lyricism but I think we're getting outnumbered in terms of the grand scheme. I'm not gonna quote the poster cause I don't wanna start shyt but I saw someone post on here that "bars are boring" and "where's the melodies" ? Brehs 17 yrs old and under ain't really checking for lyrics sadly and sadly that's reflected in the Dave East sales...
Like I said in another thread East one of the last of the Mohicans nikkas don’t appreciate :dead:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He not in them dusty backpack nikkas lane to even be mentioned with them

Also East>Skyzoo :scusthov:

backpacking wasnt in question, breh thought I didnt listen to hip hop for lyrics, when thats basically all I do...but I see what you did there. trying to equivocate lyricists and popularity because East straddles the fence on both. but you aint slick :ufdup:so who's lane is he in? Pusha T? Meek? He doesnt have that level of popularity rap wise and they are on par with him lyrically if not better. so you tried to shyt on the "backpackers" as you call them as a consolation. :camby: so talk about being mentioned with someone....East isnt mentioned with Pusha or Meek, they are on another level than he is. so I can play that game too.

you want us to believe that East is a great lyricist and he is not, he is good but not great. As the other poster said he is an instagram model who raps. I can agree with that statement partially do to most of his popularity comes from people who could care less about his music. Skyzoo has a loyal fanbase because he stays in that lane. Skyzoo discography shyts all over East as far as quality is concerned. and it aint like he aint getting no checks either because he wrote for Drake. as do a lot of the other "backpackers" write for better known artists. East is not that good to where he can write for anyone, he has to keep his best shyt for himself.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I feel you breh, its just that I try to stay impartial and East is mediocre. you could take songs from his projects and compile the best ones and make 2 maybe 3 great albums but you arent going to find them all in one cohesive project. when you present this to East fans or if they say his numbers arent good, then they start come up with these anecdotes about how real lyricists arent appreciated. Spitta aint better than East but in rap circles he is just as popular and every bit if not more successful. he just dont have the huge female following on the gram. and if you talkin bout money, Hopsin said he has millions in the bank and made his first mil years ago and no one knows who the fukk he is either really.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I feel you breh, its just that I try to stay impartial and East is mediocre. you could take songs from his projects and compile the best ones and make 2 maybe 3 great albums but you arent going to find them all in one cohesive project. when you present this to East fans or if they say his numbers arent good, then they start come up with these anecdotes about how real lyricists arent appreciated. Spitta aint better than East but in rap circles he is just as popular and every bit if not more successful. he just dont have the huge female following on the gram. and if you talkin bout money, Hopsin said he has millions in the bank and made his first mil years ago and no one knows who the fukk he is either really.
Spitta is def more popular than East.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Spitta is def more popular than East.

I would say so too inside of rap. dude tried to shyt on Papoose saying he was dusty too, lol. Pap has 1.8mil gram followers, East- 2.6mil. but one of them has a major label deal and releasing projects on the regular and one is a stay at home dad :mjlol:
they both got their gram followers from the same source, gossiping bytches who love social media. its very disrespectful to the culture to call lyricists dusty because they are not as popular or rich. by that same token, East is a dusty nikka compared to Pusha or Meek. they do the same drug/money raps that he does....but they just do it better.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
backpacking wasnt in question, breh thought I didnt listen to hip hop for lyrics, when thats basically all I do...but I see what you did there. trying to equivocate lyricists and popularity because East straddles the fence on both. but you aint slick :ufdup:so who's lane is he in? Pusha T? Meek? He doesnt have that level of popularity rap wise and they are on par with him lyrically if not better. so you tried to shyt on the "backpackers" as you call them as a consolation. :camby: so talk about being mentioned with someone....East isnt mentioned with Pusha or Meek, they are on another level than he is. so I can play that game too.

you want us to believe that East is a great lyricist and he is not, he is good but not great. As the other poster said he is an instagram model who raps. I can agree with that statement partially do to most of his popularity comes from people who could care less about his music. Skyzoo has a loyal fanbase because he stays in that lane. Skyzoo discography shyts all over East as far as quality is concerned. and it aint like he aint getting no checks either because he wrote for Drake. as do a lot of the other "backpackers" write for better known artists. East is not that good to where he can write for anyone, he has to keep his best shyt for himself.
It's not about popularity but rather what lane and soundscapes they operate and who they appeal to. A lot of those artists you named make music for a very niche fanbase.

I don't want everyone to believe East is a great lyricist. I'm not having those discussions because its pointless. Son is a good rapper that's pretty much it people gonna like who they like.

Of course Pusha and Meek are on another level. You talking about tenured artists in hip-hop. How many street rappers are as popular as Meek? :dwillhuh:

I tried listening to SkyZoo and there's no way you can call East boring and listen to that guy. I don't have enough knowledge on his catalog but I've heard like 2 projects y'all have posted on here over the years. And that nikka didn't write for no Drake, that's some B.S. I saw on here that he wrote on Take Care or some shyt. Foh. :mjlol:

Also, Dave East wrote for Trina :troll: