Albums Dave East - Survival (Discussion Thread)

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:gucci: Damn the Coli ain’t got no love for Dave East? Maybe I need to play it again but I thought it was good (if unspectacular) on my first two listens. My only complaint is nothing really screams ‘ok this is the album now’ any more than his best mixtapes (Karma, Paranoia 2 and Kairi)
Nah the album is pretty dope. Out of 20 tracks. I can easily play 14 or 15 tracks. Great sonically. Great mix of old school and new school. Great debut for east.

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
is there any dope rappers that make you want to recite their lyrics...like kendrick, cole, and east are suppose to be super lyrical rappers but i am never impressed with flow or wordplay or hitting content with them

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I listened again. This guy should embrace doing a full album with Preemo. And stop chasing hits.

bytches aint loving his raps. They fukk him cause he looks like a rapper with lots of success...

Just my 2 cents
Absolutely not. East need music that appeal to the young nikkas not 35+ boom bappers :dead:

East can get better, dope modern boom bap production from his own mans Buda or go tap V'Don and do a full project with them if anything. :camby:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I just heard the album it's funny seeing the usual Dave East hater brigade in here trashing it. It's a solid album. I think East fans are upset that songs like Get You Shot and I Needed God aren't on here. This is a commercialized, major label debut so tracks got left off in favor of formulaic collabs.

The beat Swizz and Premier gave him on the intro was mediocre, East did aight on that just coasted. He should have left that off and started with Godfather 4. It would have been a dope pass of the torch moment on East's Def Jam debut. My only complaint on that track was I wish East got more time on it. His second verse on there is one of the best I've heard from him, Lena Horne line had me screwfacing.

East didn't need to have Ross on OG he was holding that down nicely himself.

What's Goin On is fire. My only complaint would be is that he has several songs with Fabolous already. It would have been nice if he tapped another veteran NY rapper on this one, AZ would have killed that. My next favorite tracks would be Mama I Made It and Need A Sign. The song for his daughter Daddy Knows was dope and so was the Nipsey tribute at the end.

As for the singles. I like the Jacquees record, definitely something you can play around some women, nice recognizable sample and East did his thing on it. Everyday was weak, East doesn't sound good over that, and the Gunna feature is officially played out. I like Wanna Be A G with Max B, it's more of a street single I think he should do a video for it. That last song with Ty$ is just a bonus but he could push that as a single.

The Night Shift song sounded harder when he previewed it over a the ukulele with Einer Bankz. I'm a big East and Baby fan but the song is mediocre. Devil Eyes has to be some shyt put together by the label to get West Coast listeners, E-40 is so damn corny. :scust:

I give it a 3.5 out of 5, another solid addition to East's catalog. There's a narrative that East's releases are mid which couldn't be farther from the truth. Hate Me Now and Kairi Chanel are at least 4 out of 5 projects. Beloved with Styles P was a fire project. Paranoia 2 was a fire project as was the two Karma tapes. Straight Outta Harlem and Black Rose also had gems. East has been one of the most consistent MC's over the last 5 years.

Tommy Sheppard

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
is there any dope rappers that make you want to recite their lyrics...like kendrick, cole, and east are suppose to be super lyrical rappers but i am never impressed with flow or wordplay or hitting content with them
super lyrical rappers are in the url not making music for people to recite punchlines.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I just heard the album it's funny seeing the usual Dave East hater brigade in here trashing it. It's a solid album. I think East fans are upset that songs like Get You Shot and I Needed God aren't on here. This is a commercialized, major label debut so tracks got left off in favor of formulaic collabs.

The beat Swizz and Premier gave him on the intro was mediocre, East did aight on that just coasted. He should have left that off and started with Godfather 4. It would have been a dope pass of the torch moment on East's Def Jam debut. My only complaint on that track was I wish East got more time on it. His second verse on there is one of the best I've heard from him, Lena Horne line had me screwfacing.

East didn't need to have Ross on OG he was holding that down nicely himself.

What's Goin On is fire. My only complaint would be is that he has several songs with Fabolous already. It would have been nice if he tapped another veteran NY rapper on this one, AZ would have killed that. My next favorite tracks would be Mama I Made It and Need A Sign. The song for his daughter Daddy Knows was dope and so was the Nipsey tribute at the end.

As for the singles. I like the Jacquees record, definitely something you can play around some women, nice recognizable sample and East did his thing on it. Everyday was weak, East doesn't sound good over that, and the Gunna feature is officially played out. I like Wanna Be A G with Max B, it's more of a street single I think he should do a video for it. That last song with Ty$ is just a bonus but he could push that as a single.

The Night Shift song sounded harder when he previewed it over a the ukulele with Einer Bankz. I'm a big East and Baby fan but the song is mediocre. Devil Eyes has to be some shyt put together by the label to get West Coast listeners, E-40 is so damn corny. :scust:

I give it a 3.5 out of 5, another solid addition to East's catalog. There's a narrative that East's releases are mid which couldn't be farther from the truth. Hate Me Now and Kairi Chanel are at least 4 out of 5 projects. Beloved with Styles P was a fire project. Paranoia 2 was a fire project as was the two Karma tapes. Straight Outta Harlem and Black Rose also had gems. East has been one of the most consistent MC's over the last 5 years.
East should do more music with production from Cardo honestly. I like every track he’s ever did with a Cardo beat.