Albums Dave East - Survival (Discussion Thread)

Daps
It's always interesting to observe the double standards, Dave East album way better then Drake, Kendrick, Cole, Migos me many others last offering. Very solid, 4 mics.

Well..it’s simple

NY Rap fans are like Lakers fans..

Irrational
Obnoxious
Hard to please
Super high standards

This happens when you have a laundry list of legends that have come & gone. You can’t compare NYC to anywhere else

nikkax had Slick Pulla On ATL’s Top 50 for crying out loud :picard:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
see a lot in here saying its dope outside of 4 or 5 songs. I agree. its 4 songs I cant fukk with. and 2 more that probably needed to be left off. I am not counting the bonus tracks. so if you trim this, to 12 songs (preferably my favorite 12) then its a 4 or 4.5 album and you can throw the other 8 songs on a mixtape. I agree with the poster that said too many features. using the great, very good, good, fair, poor scale, East is a VERY GOOD artist who makes GOOD albums. I dont think he has the it factor to make him a great artist but he should be making VERY GOOD albums on a consistent basis with maybe an occasional great one thrown in. I think he is at least showing growth and this album and Beloved were both VERY GOOD efforts.

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Plenty of young nikkas listen to him in NYC

And also you hating there’s nothing wrong with the album the way you nikkas act it’s like it’s the worst thing to drop.

Not sure what “Def Jam marketing” means but keep using buzz words to make it seem worse than what it is

I have his stuff pre Black Rose. I've been rooting for him to be that guy. He's not hungry anymore and he's comfortable. It's seeped into his music. I'm sure he's not mad as he's in a much better place than he was three years ago when Kairi Chanel dropped.

Xtz23

All Star
Daps
dont like it might be 2-3 songs on it that i fukk wit. Momma i made its dope tho:wow: & wanna be a g that beat butcha production on it is stellar.

Last edited:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Like a roller coaster, it goes through its highs and lows. In that dip right now. "Alone", "Everyday" and "Devil Eyes" are ehhhhhhh. "Night Shift" did not need that Lil Baby feature at all.

record making is just different today, thats the only way I can explain it. artists and A&R are trying to please everyone instead of finding a core sound and niche market and satisfying that. a lot of throwaway records that are better left off.

The song with Max B is terrible. East has got to stop singing and rap. That's what he's good at. A brutal five song stretch.

that stretch was put together by some dumb A&R with no vision and no balls. trying to fit in and sound like everyone else. those are the exact songs I was talking about. if you take those 5 out (I dont count the bonus tracks) you have a nice 13 track banger. I felt the Fab song didnt fit but thats mainly because it was in the vicinity of all those other trash songs. if you trim it down then that song not only works but you can use that as a single and throw some remixes at it.

Yaddam Yussein

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I tried, I really did. I went in open minded.

Paranoia, Kairi Chanel and Hate Me Now were all better than this.

Ima give it some more spins because it’s still early but this album literally bored me man.

Need a Sign is definitely my favorite song on the project. Nipsey’s tribute is my second.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Besides that god awful 1st track, there’s really no flat out bad stuff on here, but I would not have been mad if half the album was removed. Some songs are just forgettable from a production standpoint and I’d never listen to again. The rest of the songs range from good to very good. Feel like 12 songs would’ve been the perfect length. Need A Sign, Godfather 4, Seventeen, On My Way 2 School, and Mama I Made It are standouts for me, the type of songs he should continue to make. I dig Penthouse and even Baby and What’s Goin On despite the fairly obvious samples. Don’t care for East’s harmonizing on the Max B track. Would’ve been better if he just straight up rapped. This probably won’t be the breakout high charting album like he wants, but I can keep a good amount of these in rotation.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
I thought this album was pretty good. I was expecting Dave to do a lot of pandering so my expectations were kinda low but I’m glad we got the “album” that we did. I would probably trim about 4 songs off because the album started to feel like it was dragging after Everyday but for the most part, I really like this.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
nikkas don’t like “Devil Eyes”?. Lol. That’s hilarious to me. shyt sound like a Victory Lap track. If Nip had it nikkas would fukk wit it. Rightfully. shyt is dope. Even tho I feel Nip would sound better over it.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Plenty of young nikkas listen to him in NYC

And also you hating there’s nothing wrong with the album the way you nikkas act it’s like it’s the worst thing to drop.

Not sure what “Def Jam marketing” means but keep using buzz words to make it seem worse than what it is
The fact nikkas sayin that Dave East don’t appeal to young people shows how literally out of touch these nikkas is. Crazy. Lol. I like this shyt. Coulda trimmed down like 4 or 5 tracks but shyt wavy to me.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip
Daps
The fact nikkas sayin that Dave East don’t appeal to young people shows how literally out of touch these nikkas is. Crazy. Lol. I like this shyt. Coulda trimmed down like 4 or 5 tracks but shyt wavy to me.

:francis: The problem with the position you or anyone else is taking is it isn’t rooted in fact. There are ways of gauging this in this day & age. It’s called streams & views

This is the man’s lead single from his major label debut. It currently stands at 2.7 million views having been released a month ago

That’s not good...at all.

Those are interview numbers for a popping artist. Do young boys in the city fukk with him? I’ll take your word for it...Since he’s come on the scene I might have heard nikkax playing his music like 3 or 4 times and I’m uptown

Kodak
Boogie
NBA

Young nikkax fukk with them and the numbers support