Dave Chappelle: Equanimity + The Bird Revelation Netflix Stand-Up Thread

Drizzy Dre

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Maybe you need to switch to Dane Cook then? :yeshrug:

You’re never going to get back the “For What It’s Worth” Chappelle. And that’s how you know he’s authentic.

I’ve been a long time fan too. Saw him at a college in Massachusetts in the spring of 2000 and about 5 times (the last time in Hollywood last year) since then. The mans grown up. I think I’ve grown up with him. Because to me he’s just as hilarious. But in a deeper way.

Before he used to hide social commentary inside of skits or funny stories. (Spoonful of sugar helps the medicene go down). Now he’s not afraid to just come out and say it. I like this Chappelle better.

Don’t play me with the Dane Cook cuz he’s definitely not funny. But like I said, the messages were on point but the jokes were weak.

“Kick her in the puzzy” etc., aren’t good jokes. Deray Davis’ standup wasn’t that good either this year but Donell Rawlings tore it down at the Improv on NY Eve.

I do this comedy thing and stand by my opinion, it was more of a lecture than a stand up. Message wise it was great but the comedy suffered.

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
Don’t play me with the Dane Cook cuz he’s definitely not funny. But like I said, the messages were on point but the jokes were weak.

“Kick her in the puzzy” etc., aren’t good jokes. Deray Davis’ standup wasn’t that good either this year but Donell Rawlings tore it down at the Improv on NY Eve.

I do this comedy thing and stand by my opinion, it was more of a lecture than a stand up. Message wise it was great but the comedy suffered.
I think Chappelle is fine with that perception though because he seems to be over being a straight “comedian”, and that’s what makes me love guys like him, Rock, Carlin the most.

Daps
Reppin
St louis

how about you shut the fukk up.

34rx2f6.png

wat6rr.jpg

x-factor7

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Both specials were :wow:

I like that he commented on the criticism he got from the 1st specials he did. And I'm glad that he doesn't give a fukk and I'm sure the overly-sensitive LGBT community will find something to bytch and moan about. He has said in all his Netflix specials for the most part: "man the fukk up". It's a message society in general needs because of how sensitive and offended everyone gets nowadays.

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
For folks saying the second special wasn't funny. Understand that a comedian's job isn't only to make you laugh. It's an art form, it can also make you think. I found myself not really busting out laughing a lot during the special but instead saying "yep" and nodding my head or shaking my head and smiling.

The fact that you could taste the quietness in the room when he spoke in support of Kaepernick was hilarious. Him bringing up it being easier for Bruce Jenner to change his gender and name then it was for Ali to change his name from Clay to Ali was true as well. Many moments of his stand made me yell out "Speak on it!"

The great thing is you can see the growth of his comedy over the years. His storytelling ability is a standout. He's wise old sage status now.

Last edited:

BK360NATL

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they run them shyts all the time

Yeah, but the timing of this particular Chappelle Show marathon and the Killing Them Softly standup appeared to be strictly to capitalize off of the definitive momentum that these Netflix specials were going to draw. Like Comedy Central (CC) didn't even need to market the marathon or anything since Netflix is promoting him.

And I'm just guessing that Chappelle's no longer even making any residuals off of those episodes, since he walked away. Breach of contract and all. I hope that's not the case, but them purposely running the marathon now, leads me to believe something like this is more than possible.

To boost their ratings, CC are stuck having to scramble to show these episodes and standups from 11-14 years ago, when he wants nothing to do with CC, and walked away from their 10% offer. I hadn't really watched much CC since the Chappelle Show debacle, but now knowing more specifics into what really happened, I'll make it a point to avoid that channel completely.

That Katt Williams interview should be a companion piece to Bird Revelation. Props to the breh who posted it. It makes all the sense in the world, in that context. Dave sacrificed everything for his freedom. Now he runs the game, thanks to Netflix offering him that new platform. Dude is free, in the truest sense of the word. No one has anything over his head. He just showed everyone how to beat Hollywood. He can say whatever he wants, do whatever he chooses, work if he chooses, or just stay on his farm with his family far away from Hollywood. Freedom.

Now go back and check those Kevin Harts and sextape jokes....as a comparison. "....now we have a secret...."

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
Gotta watch the specials. I forgot they came out.

Did Dave bless us again? Or is it a dud (feel stupid for even asking that)?