Dave Chappelle: Equanimity + The Bird Revelation Netflix Stand-Up Thread

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
Those two specials, especially Bird Revelation, were so....just :wow: the material in them, the way he was able to weave one joke into the next, call back to prior jokes, drop knowledge while still making you laugh. That was not only a masterclass in comedy but a set full of jewels for every day life. I feel like his Inside the Actors Studio interview with James Lipton is an essential companion piece to these two latest sets. It gives you an insight to where he was post Chappelle’s Show before he’d eventually return with these last few specials

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
I ain't even gon lie. That shyt wasn't funny. My wife and I finished the first one and I had to tap out about 10 minutes into the second one. Probably won't finish it.
It wasnt meant for "y'all" :skip:
Y'all should check out that Jerry Seinfeld Netflix special:jbhmm:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
I enjoyed that more than the other. Felt more like a lecture than standup (in a great way).

That Iceberg Slim piece and how he tied it to his absence/end plan? :mindblown:

Gonna watch it again soon.
Watching them back to back makes the contrast more stark. One is the standard comedian walks around in a small circle and second was basically just a dude sitting in a circle

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
chappelle is a legend and my personal favorite comedian. the two shows were amazing. funny, critical, thoughtful and topics are relevant and connects. the man is a genius. i just love how he keeps it raw and uncut now.

i'm glad he didn't have a filter on and spoke on kaep kneeling, white privilege, sexual harassment and skeptics of the harassment claims and trump. i hope ppl who were upset speak up on this to expose themselves.

Daps
I knew exactly how she would look as I scrolled down. And I knew the exact kind of “parent” she would be too.

It’s always these feminist “types” making mountains out of molehills.

That joke is a joke about the frailty of white women because of their position as "untouchables" in this society and not simple victim blaming, but if I've learned one thing, it's that everyone loves to take any chance that they can get to punch down at black men.

They love to punch down at black women, too, but that's a bit less safe of a thing to do right now because black women are doing all the shyt that white feminists only pretend to do, so it's open season on black men. Well, more than usual.

I don't know if I really believed that black men were under attack like this a few years ago, but it's pretty much undeniable now. White people are going to continue to try and peel off LGBTQ black folks and black women to use as shields, too, which is why we need to cool it with attacking black women or LGBTQ black folks and hash our differences out outside of the view of white people...but that's a whole other thing.

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
:mjlol: when he was making fun of ol girl cause she said louis ck was jerkin off while on the phone with her... dave just like ..... why you still on the phone:dwillhuh:
It reminds me of how on Killin Em Softly, he mentioned how Elizabeth Smart was alone at a kidnapper’s house and didn’t know what to do. “How about you open the fukking door?”

Also what he said about people not wanting to get peed on by R. Kelly (just move out the way).

Daps
It reminds me of how on Killin Em Softly, he mentioned how Elizabeth Smart was alone at a kidnapper’s house and didn’t know what to do. “How about you open the fukking door?”

And the important part is that he compared Smart to a young black girl who escaped her kidnapper and nobody talked about it on the news. Just like the joke about getting off the phone if CK is masturbating on the other end of the line, the joke isn't about women and how they're not really victims - it's about how white women are so protected by white supremacy that they don't know what the fukk to do in a crisis, unlike black women, who grow up in crisis just by living in this system.

But that's too hard to get - or too uncomfortable to admit - for a lot of people, so they'll attack the messsenger and distort the message instead.

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
Maybe you need to switch to Dane Cook then? :yeshrug:

You’re never going to get back the “For What It’s Worth” Chappelle. And that’s how you know he’s authentic.

I’ve been a long time fan too. Saw him at a college in Massachusetts in the spring of 2000 and about 5 times (the last time in Hollywood last year) since then. The mans grown up. I think I’ve grown up with him. Because to me he’s just as hilarious. But in a deeper way.

Before he used to hide social commentary inside of skits or funny stories. (Spoonful of sugar helps the medicene go down). Now he’s not afraid to just come out and say it. I like this Chappelle better.

I get what you're trying to say. but the old chappelle was way better. He's still funny but some of those old jokes from those special are timeless.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
That joke is a joke about the frailty of white women because of their position as "untouchables" in this society and not simple victim blaming, but if I've learned one thing, it's that everyone loves to take any chance that they can get to punch down at black men.

They love to punch down at black women, too, but that's a bit less safe of a thing to do right now because black women are doing all the shyt that white feminists only pretend to do, so it's open season on black men. Well, more than usual.

I don't know if I really believed that black men were under attack like this a few years ago, but it's pretty much undeniable now. White people are going to continue to try and peel off LGBTQ black folks and black women to use as shields, too, which is why we need to cool it with attacking black women or LGBTQ black folks and hash our differences out outside of the view of white people...but that's a whole other thing.
Chapelle literally defended black women in the special :mindblown:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
These overly sensitive people need to get over themselves. This ain't even the worst shyt Dave has ever said.

In For what it's worth, He talked about a 15 year old girl who was kidnapped and R. Kelly's 15 year old pee victim.

If you understand what he did there; that's one of the greatest routines ever

It was well thought out and it played your emotions against your intelligence

I haven't seen the new joints, but, I'm gonna throw in For What's It Worth and (I forgot the name of the other one) tonight