"Darkness, No Parents."-The Official Top 10 Movies and Top 5 Worst Movies of 2014 Voting ends 2/25

Books

Rookie
Daps
Thanks for the brehs who recommended Giovanni's Island...

...thanks...:wow::mjcry:...

@TheGodling: How do I see this "Kano"? Sounds interesting.

Guess I'll get a list in before the 25th. Didn't get a chance to see "Birdman" or "Whiplash", but I'm going to watch Imitation Game on Monday. Any good?
You're welcome and I'm sorry :mjcry:

OsO

Souldier
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Top 5:
The Lego Movie - Great all around movie. I wonder if kids enjoyed it as much as adults did :pachaha:

Whiplash - Props to the Coli. I never would have watched this movie but I'm glad I did. It honors the musical tradition and the lead actor absolutely killed it.

Nightcrawler - Again props to the Coli. Jake G's performance was great. The intricacies in his dialogue kept my attention the entire movie. One of the more interesting movie characters in a while.

Top Five - I loved the natural flow of this movie. I loved the actors/actresses in it. The dialogue was great. And I'm a huge hip hop head so I'm sure that played a part in me enjoying it as much as I did.

X-men: DOFP - Surprisingly great. I like all the X-Men movies but to be honest this is my favorite out of the series. The quality of the plot and the execution was really surprising.

Next 5:

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - I really liked the first one and this was almost as good. It needed a better lead actor though, dude was corny and forgettable.

Edge of Tomorrow - Surprisingly good. Great plot. It fell apart a little at the end but overall I was entertained.

John Wick - Totally caught me off guard. I put it on in the background thinking it was going to be a typical shoot-em-up but the action sequences were :ohlawd: i need a prequel ASAP to see how he got that rep :lupe:

GOTG - This was a great movie. It would have been top 5 easily if it had a stronger male lead. This dude was over-the-top corny.
And the end pivotal scene where he dances as a distraction was absolutely awful... wtf were the producers thinking on that :what:

Birdman - Another one I watched because of this thread. Great all around movie. Very Unique. They should have done more with the telekinesis though :ld:

Hon. Mention:

The Grand Budapest Hotel - Another coli recommendation. Well put together flick.
It went way left when dude went to prison though
. That part was doing too much and it broke the flow of the movie.

Selma - Movie was alright. Lead actor killed it though :ohlawd:

Gone Girl - Great movie. That bish was crazy. Hated the ending. But I get it.

A Most Violent Year - A good movie that will age well. I think all the extra hype leading up to the release made me expect more. It shouldn't be compared to The Godfather but a solid movie.

The Maze Runner - Main dude overacted for the majority of the movie but I liked the unique plot. The ending was eh :ehh:

Dear White People - Good movie. A nice compromise between social critique and mainstream release. Both blacks and whites could feel comfortable watching a movie like this and it still managed to explore issues dealing with race and in a fun and informative way. On a personal note
I hate that the sista left with the white dude at the end :snoop: like really ma :stopitslime:

Chef - Good all around movie that seamlessly explored a lot of themes. Plus I love food and I love to cook so this resonated with me.

Transcendence - I loved the concept. The execution was average. This movie was okay but it could have been great.

Under the Skin - :russ: I'm gonna give this a full run through when I can devote all my attention.

Worst Movies:

1. The Gambler - Worst...movie...ever.

These next three weren't the worst, but I say the worst because they didn't live up to their potential:

The Equalizer - There was a cool concept in there somewhere, but it got lost, quickly.

Divergent - Started off like :steviej: then got :rudy: ended up :dahell:

Lucy - Great concept, horrible plot. Whoever is responsible for the plot should have to return their wages, or maybe the editor just did them dirty I don't know, but that was the epitome of a struggle storyline.

Again... I'm glad I came across this thread... cheers to the Film Room

o-GREAT-GATSBY-TRAILER-facebook.jpg

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
@hexagram23

:upsetfavre:C'mon breh, help us get this stickied again.

:dahell:How they gonna unsticky a Best of 2014 thread on the day of the Oscars?!?!

I love the Film Room ya'll but we really need to make an official "NO TV-SHOWS IN STICKY'S" rule to stop this ridiculousness, because while I'm :mjlol: on the outside I'm really :mjcry: on the inside.

This.

Also, that Batman 89 thread should have been stickied.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Thanks for the brehs who recommended Giovanni's Island...

...thanks...:wow::mjcry:...

@TheGodling: How do I see this "Kano"? Sounds interesting.

Guess I'll get a list in before the 25th. Didn't get a chance to see "Birdman" or "Whiplash", but I'm going to watch Imitation Game on Monday. Any good?

you best start downloadin :birdman:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Exactly. Don't know why this was unstickied
i asked him to sticky the oscar thread..and i think this one was chosen as the one that got unstickied to make room :mindblown:

think we coulda taken that banshee thread down as this one does more #s

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
How's that download of The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya coming along? Or Kano? Or Winter Sleep? :sas1:

Really, do tell. :sas2:

i have about 30 films left to see to complete the imdb 250 challenge..

and theyre pretty much all animated and bollywood.

so maybe i'd peep that after i peep all the other heralded animated ones

:umad:

Books

Rookie
Daps
i have about 30 films left to see to complete the imdb 250 challenge..

and theyre pretty much all animated and bollywood.

so maybe i'd peep that after i peep all the other heralded animated ones

:umad:
It should be your top priority :ufdup:

Interloper

Lurker Extraordinaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 219
Top Ten:
1.) The Raid 2: Berandal :wow:
tumblr_n90q0eMvoo1svgqhjo3_r3_500.gif

2.) Giovanni's Island :mjcry:
tumblr_namkiqSOyQ1r3rdh2o1_500.gif

3.) Birdman :birdman:
tumblr_ndk6tcenJL1s3y9slo1_500.gif

4.) Snowpiercer :lupe:
5.) The Grand Budapest Hotel :leon:
6.) Top Five :feedme:
7.) The Equalizer :myman:
8.) Fury :whew:
9.) Interstellar :youngsabo:
10.) Nightcrawler :demonic:

Honorable Mentions:
1.) Saint Vincent
2.) Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow
3.) The Signal
4.) The Drop
5.) Get On Up

Worst:

1.) Lucy: Grossed over $450M worldwide and sits comfortably in the certified fresh region on Rotten Tomatoes at 66%...:mindblown: I don't have the language to explain how un-fukkING-believable that is to me, but the thread in the film room covers just about all of it. Easily one of the worst films I've ever seen and that's not hyperbole in the slightest. :pacspit:

2.) Bing Fung: Chung Sang Chi Mun(otherwise known as "Iceman"): Donnie Yen, breh...I think you could get a startup fund going for you if you're that in need of a paycheck. Unfunny humor, painfully edited fight scenes, and visuals that looked like they were made with Windows 95. With a few edit jobs, this movie could easily pass as a Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer "parody attempt" on big budget Hollywood CGI/3-D fests, but it seems that they were serious with this which is quite troubling. :dahell:

3.) Transformers: Age of Extinction: The fourth Transformers film is nearly 3 hours...enough said. :snoop:

4.) Goodbye World: Not even Cudder could save this Family Channel rejected trash. Even the SyFy channel would have second thoughts about airing this. Props to Cudder for lowkey trying to kill everybody on the planet, though. No sarcasm. :why:

5.) Sabotage: Directed by the same guy who made "Fury". I'm thinking he put all his directing/writing effort into that one instead of this, because this isn't even funny bad(except for that reveal with Terrance Howard & Mireille Enos). :trash:

Dishonorable Mentions: A Haunted House 2 :leostare: & Pompeii(At least PWS has "Event Horizon" & "Mortal Kombat", but shyt, son...:beli:)

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Top Ten:
1.) The Raid 2: Berandal :wow:
tumblr_n90q0eMvoo1svgqhjo3_r3_500.gif

2.) Giovanni's Island :mjcry:
tumblr_namkiqSOyQ1r3rdh2o1_500.gif

3.) Birdman :birdman:
tumblr_ndk6tcenJL1s3y9slo1_500.gif

4.) Snowpiercer :lupe:
5.) The Grand Budapest Hotel :leon:
6.) Top Five :feedme:
7.) The Equalizer :myman:
8.) Fury :whew:
9.) Interstellar :youngsabo:
10.) Nightcrawler :demonic:

Honorable Mentions:
1.) Saint Vincent
2.) Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow
3.) The Signal
4.) The Drop
5.) Get On Up

Worst:

1.) Lucy: Grossed over $450M worldwide and sits comfortably in the certified fresh region on Rotten Tomatoes at 66%...:mindblown: I don't have the language to explain how un-fukkING-believable that is to me, but the thread in the film room covers just about all of it. Easily one of the worst films I've ever seen and that's not hyperbole in the slightest. :pacspit:

2.) Bing Fung: Chung Sang Chi Mun(otherwise known as "Iceman"): Donnie Yen, breh...I think you could get a startup fund going for you if you're that in need of a paycheck. Unfunny humor, painfully edited fight scenes, and visuals that looked like they were made with Windows 95. With a few edit jobs, this movie could easily pass as a Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer "parody attempt" on big budget Hollywood CGI/3-D fests, but it seems that they were serious with this which is quite troubling. :dahell:

3.) Transformers: Age of Extinction: The fourth Transformers film is nearly 3 hours...enough said. :snoop:

4.) Goodbye World: Not even Cudder could save this Family Channel rejected trash. Even the SyFy channel would have second thoughts about airing this. Props to Cudder for lowkey trying to kill everybody on the planet, though. No sarcasm. :why:

5.) Sabotage: Directed by the same guy who made "Fury". I'm thinking he put all his directing/writing effort into that one instead of this, because this isn't even funny bad(except for that reveal with Terrance Howard & Mireille Enos). :trash:

Dishonorable Mentions: A Haunted House 2 :leostare: & Pompeii(At least PWS has "Event Horizon" & "Mortal Kombat", but shyt, son...:beli:)

Thanks for this great post breh; Finally someone keeping in the spirit of what the thread was intended for;

no.

girls just wanna have funds
Daps
Reppin
BRASIL
my favorites this year

1. the grand budapest hotel. brilliant. made me laugh so hard my sides hurt and i just never knew where the story was going next. zero mustafa is that dude.

2. whiplash. JK Simmons' acting was just on a whole other level, the intensity of those scenes, are you rushing or are you dragging, and just when you think the protagonist is gonna stand up to him--CRASH. and it just gets better from there. when you start getting insight into the teacher's twisted mind :banderas: first movie i've seen that actually ends right on the climax.

3. gone girl. i liked parts of it a lot. some scenes were very chilling. desi's bloody murder and the beginning/ending scene where he cradles her head and she looks up at him :banderas:

4. Selma. I didn't recover from the scene where the little girls are bombed on the stairs until halfway through the movie. NOOOOOO. My mind just kept flashing back to that. I liked the coretta/martin scenes a lot. Oprah's role didn't really impress me that much...

5. birdman. i liked some of this movie. the second half was just very exciting because it's all about riggan. the ending was poignant. :banderas: i especially loved how they left the telekinesis in the open. :banderas: but the first half is ruined by edward norton's character. that flirting with dude's daughter was just cringeworthy as fukk. dude tried to rape someone onstage and she tells him he's ''cool'' and ''edgy'' and throws herself at him like a cat in heat??? :scust: only likable supporting character is the ex-wife.

from there i guess it's

6) ida

7) the theory of everything (eddie redmayne was fantastic in this, but i wanted more SCIENCE and less EXTRAMARITAL AFFAIRS)

8) the babadook

idk much else from 2014 that i watched.

i watched boyhood, but i didn't like it. one of the most underwhelming things i've ever seen. begins boring, quickly becomes insufferable.

Last edited: