Dante Ross industry A&R and sometime hiphop producer gets packed up by Tariq and FBA’s on Twitter. Goes private.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Charlie Chase was in Melle Mel's Furious 5 and Whipper Whip was in Grand Wizard Theodore's Fantastic 5. They were both Puerto Ricans.

Charlie Chase is from 1977

ov8YxI4.png

Whipper is from 1978

The first Latino rappers: Whipper Whip (1977/1978) and Ruby Dee (1977). They admit there were no Latins in HipHop before the 1975-1977 era

Whipper Whip entered the game after seeing brothers, Melle Mel and Kid Creole rapping

Ruby D's introduction to HipHop/rapping came from Dj Aj (black)and the L Brothers (also blacks)

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
It is an over simplification to say 1 or even 3 people started it so yeah always great to tell a more detailed history. But the oversimplification isn't to exclude Black people that's stupid. They're Black and are presented as such.

The oversimplification ended up creating a false narrative though

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Charlie Chase is from 1977

ov8YxI4.png

Whipper is from 1978

The first Latino rappers: Whipper Whip (1977/1978) and Ruby Dee (1977). They admit there were no Latins in HipHop before the 1975-1977 era

Whipper Whip entered the game after seeing brothers, Melle Mel and Kid Creole rapping

Ruby D's introduction to HipHop/rapping came from Dj Aj (black)and the L Brothers (also blacks)

OK, anyone claiming it was 50/50 between Latinos and Black people I disagree with. It was more like 99/1, to make that leap is corny.
What Busta said just seems like unnecessary hair splitting. West Indians are Black people, especially in the South Bronx no outsider to either would make a distinction. We may do that amongst ourselves but even if you are West Indian and you move to America your accomplishments in America are not fukkin' Jamaican. Just seems like misplaced pride.

I mean are we really making a huge difference between the early 70s and late 70s when the narrative is being told or are people just being brief?

In The Zone '98

Superstar
Daps
I mean are we really making a huge difference between the early 70s and late 70s when the narrative is being told or are people just being brief?

I can't emulate something I saw you do then tell my grandkids we started it together. That's disingenious.

Somebody had to have done it first. Only individuals in their 70s can truly tell us.

Daps
Reppin
LosSkanless
Don Campbell created Pop Locking or LOCKING in 1969 at LA Trade Tech College. Kool Herc's dancers will tell you they saw him and the lockers on Soul Train and they learned from Don Campbell (RIP)

I'm both actually. My mother is ADOS and my Dad is Jamaican.
Herc is Jamaican he came later? Who was before him?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I can't emulate something I saw you do then tell my grandkids we started it together. That's disingenious.

Somebody had to have done it first. Only individuals in their 70s can truly tell us.
Detailed history is fine and liars about it need to be called out but really "erase Black people" is hyperbole. No huge population thinks Hip Hop isn't a Black thing.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
What's the false narrative exactly?

The biggest false narratives are that Herc started HIpHop from Jamaican culture and created a holy trinity with Baam/Flash + and that Ricans were co-founders.

All of those myths are easily debunked but the old myths are so widespread, that they're still being repeated. DXT even spoke on this very subject of certain pioneers not wanting the story to change

The Rican co-founder myth is crazier than the Herc myth

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well I disagree with Tariq West Indian's are Black. I knew Herc was West Indian but I didn't even know the other 2 were. So just on sight they are Black people. Getting in the weeds about, "who is really Black" is corny. We all get discriminated against as looking like each other. The origin of it eventually gets to Africa so who cares really?
People like Tariq who make money by riling people up on the internet.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
In the HipHop timeline, those few years are the difference between "Originators" vs "Imitators"
"Imitators" really? The ones informing us about it are the Imitators tho. Isn't it more like they continued the legacy? If you want to get specific and in the intricate details of who threw the first parties, had the first live sets, etc. that's fine and very interesting. But the narrative is fine. An overwhelming majority still think Hip Hop is an artform created by Black people in the Bronx.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
:what:dude, there's no video footage of early HipHip! Those clips you see from Wildstyle or Style Wars are from the 1980s!

By that time, there was a demographics shift in which you see an abundance of Puerto Ricans bboying which is how some of the myths started.

HipHop was going on before Herc circa 1970! Masses of Puerto Ricans didn't come into HipHop until like the 1977-1980 period.

This happened because there was racism between the groups and the gang influence made it worse. A lot of heads won't talk about today because they don't wanna open up old beefs but blacks and ricans from that time period have already spoke on it

Ricans picked up bboy from Blacks heavy around like 1978 because all the black bboys became rappers/djs

Don't waste time with him. He's a "can't we all just get along", "vote blue no matter who", good boy negro. And he will argue in circles in bad faith despite the evidence.