Dante Ross industry A&R and sometime hiphop producer gets packed up by Tariq and FBA’s on Twitter. Goes private.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Y'all argue about the most useless shyt.

You've seen the footage from the time period. There were non Black people participating in early Hip Hop.

And there are Black Islanders all in the family tree.

Why do y'all wanna draw a distinction between descendants of slaves in the Islands and South America and the slaves in the US? What's so different about those lineages that we need to separate ourselves from one another?

Oh yeah. The Reparations Fairy might not come visit if youre not an a$$hole towards Black people from other parts of the world.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Well I disagree with Tariq West Indian's are Black. I knew Herc was West Indian but I didn't even know the other 2 were. So just on sight they are Black people. Getting in the weeds about, "who is really Black" is corny. We all get discriminated against as looking like each other. The origin of it eventually gets to Africa so who cares really?
At some point it was argued that Jamaican toasting and sound systems influenced hip hop. Now this is written in books and told in museums.

I guess for Jamaicans who were participating in early hip hop that was an influence for them or a call back to their culture that helped them relate to hip hop or gave similarity but should it be written as a universal genesis for hip-hop?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
At some point it was argued that Jamaican toasting and sound systems influenced hip hop. Now this is written in books and told in museums.

I guess for Jamaicans who were participating in early hip hop that was an influence for them or a call back to their culture that helped them relate to hip hop or gave similarity but should it be written as a universal genesis for hip-hop?
What do Bam, Herc and Flash say? If they say that's the case I believe them. But like I said, they're still fukkin' Black. They did it in America where every West Indian is just another niqqa to the cops/white people. The distinction is unnecessary.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
You've seen the footage from the time period. There were non Black people participating in early Hip Hop.
The footage that most of us see is AFTER the black people already got it up and running. This is the exact reason for the documentary. People push the timeline later to include people that didn't create shyt. People keep trying to push the timeline back to the like the early 80s because that's when a few latinos jumped on the bandwagon, but the creators put the time like in the early 70s, and FBA were already doing stuff that would later become hiphop.

I get that alot of yall hate Tariq, but on this specific topic yall really look crazy trying to insert that hate. Tariq did the homework this time and talked to the creators face to face.

Brolic

High Value Poster
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
Y'all argue about the most useless shyt.

And there are Black Islanders all in the family tree.

Why do y'all wanna draw a distinction between descendants of slaves in the Islands and South America and the slaves in the US? What's so different about those lineages that we need to separate ourselves from one another?

Oh yeah. The Reparations Fairy might not come visit if youre not an a$$hole towards Black people from other parts of the world.

How is that useless? You have clowns running around imitating us, then claiming we have no culture.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
The footage that most of us see is AFTER the black people already got it up and running. This is the exact reason for the documentary. People push the timeline later to include people that didn't create shyt. People keep trying to push the timeline back to the like the early 80s because that's when a few latinos jumped on the bandwagon, but the creators put the time like in the early 70s, and FBA were already doing stuff that would later become hiphop.

I get that alot of yall hate Tariq, but on this specific topic yall really look crazy trying to insert that hate. Tariq did the homework this time and talked to the creators face to face.
I barely even know who Tariq is. I agree with the basic premise of what he is saying, "Hip Hop is founded by Black people". But the accusing other people of trying to erase that is silly. People are just pointing out other people who contributed. We all should know if that person is not Black they were an outlier at the time because most of the Hip Hop contributions are by Black people.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
I barely even know who Tariq is. I agree with the basic premise of what he is saying, "Hip Hop is founded by Black people". But the accusing other people of trying to erase that is silly. People are just pointing out other people who contributed. We all should know if that person is not Black they were an outlier at the time because most of the Hip Hop contributions are by Black people.
I think the problem here is you haven't been paying attention to what the other people have been saying. Guys like Busta Rhymes, Fat Joe, Dante Ross, Derek Colon, etc...have been clearly pushing a false narrative that Latinos created hiphop "50 50". edit: and Busta is claiming hiphop started in Jamaica. The Jamaica claim was actually believed, even by Tariq, for decades. Partly because of people trying to assign Kool Herc as the only valid voice. Then people got more information.

One of Fat Joe's examples is a photographer who took pictures around that time. That's like somebody saying they helped create Thriller and they deserve credit because they took pictures of MJ in the studio while he made Thriller...."I WAS THERE!".

In The Zone '98

Superstar
Daps

Right or wrong, everybody not on that kumbaya shyt.

I'm of Caribbean descent. I have no issue with black Americans who are not Caribbean wanting their claim to rap/graffiti.

Busta literally said West Indians created Hip Hop. In 1970. That don't seem a little outlandish?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I think the problem here is you haven't been paying attention to what the other people have been saying. Guys like Busta Rhymes, Fat Joe, Dante Ross, Derek Colon, etc...have been clearly pushing a false narrative that Latinos created hiphop "50 50". edit: and Busta is claiming hiphop started in Jamaica. The Jamaica claim was actually believed, even by Tariq, for decades. Partly because of people trying to assign Kool Herc as the only valid voice. Then people got more information.

One of Fat Joe's examples is a photographer who took pictures around that time. That's like somebody saying they helped create Thriller and they deserve credit because they took pictures of MJ in the studio while he made Thriller...."I WAS THERE!".
OK, anyone claiming it was 50/50 between Latinos and Black people I disagree with. It was more like 99/1, to make that leap is corny.
What Busta said just seems like unnecessary hair splitting. West Indians are Black people, especially in the South Bronx no outsider to either would make a distinction. We may do that amongst ourselves but even if you are West Indian and you move to America your accomplishments in America are not fukkin' Jamaican. Just seems like misplaced pride.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Right or wrong, everybody not on that kumbaya shyt.

I'm of Caribbean descent. I have no issue with black Americans who are not Caribbean wanting their claim to rap/graffiti.

Busta literally said West Indians created Hip Hop. In 1970. That don't seem a little outlandish?
Yes, that's outlandish if he means actual Jamaicans and not Jamaicans living in the Bronx.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
OK, anyone claiming it was 50/50 between Latinos and Black people I disagree with. It was more like 99/1, to make that leap is corny.
What Busta said just seems like unnecessary hair splitting. West Indians are Black people, especially in the South Bronx no outsider to either would make a distinction. We may do that amongst ourselves but even if you are West Indian and you move to America your accomplishments in America are not fukkin' Jamaican. Just seems like misplaced pride.
Are you a Black American? Also, ALL of the elements in hip hop were created & founded by Black Americans in the very early 70's. There weren't any Jamaicans or Puerto Ricans that did this; all they did was help contribute to the culture much later & that's what this documentary is about

Smartie

Rookie
Daps
...Why do y'all wanna draw a distinction between descendants of slaves in the Islands and South America and the slaves in the US? What's so different about those lineages that we need to separate ourselves from one another?...
You should ask the islanders that lost their minds when Michael B. Jordan announced plans to launch a brand of rum called 'Jouvert' about the distinction/difference.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Are you a Black American? Also, ALL of the elements in hip hop were created & founded by Black Americans in the very early 70's. There weren't any Jamaicans or Puerto Ricans that did this; all they did was help contribute to the culture much later & that's what this documentary is about
I'm both actually. My mother is ADOS and my Dad is Jamaican.
Herc is Jamaican he came later? Who was before him?

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
I'm both actually. My mother is ADOS and my Dad is Jamaican.
Herc is Jamaican he came later? Who was before him?
Read through this thread & hit us back when you do. Respect to @IllmaticDelta & @TripleAgent who always bring the receipts to dispel the lies & narrative that's being pushed

It's not really a question if there were non-FBA blacks, present, it's more of a correcting of myths that have been going on since the 1980s. The "Herc started HipHop from Jamaican roots" is false even by Herc's own admission.

Herc has said countless times that HipHop was already going in before he was even a dj circa 1970 via Dj John Brown at the Plaza Disco and the Tunnel. Read below

Dj John Brown seen here

is who Herc got his early playlist (funk aka breaks) from and the idea to play them for what would become bboys

A1-BBoy Sasa confirmed this (Graf artist Phase 2 also spoke on it before)

To sum all that up

a lot of the myths got more cemented with that 90s Source issue with Herc, Baam and Flash on it

Most people aren't aware that Dj Smokey predated Herc (1972) in Herc's own area in the West Bronx......

before Flash was a Dj, he was crate/record carrier for Smokey!

Smokey had the first bboy crew

most of the bboys were at his Jams prior to going to Herc's

Pow Wow from Zulu Kings/Zulu Nation on Smokey

Both, Smokey and Herc were directly influenced by Dj John Brown

Smokey also said HipHop didn't start in 1973, it started in 1970!