Damn, Elden Ring did very well in America sales wise.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
yet you really can't argue why I'm "wrong" lol and in all honesty...your arguments here have been the most immature and derailing out of anyone.

here's a recap: I just initially said that there are certain itches in the open world RPG landscape that Elden Ring doesn't necessarily scratch; there are things it does extremely well, and things that it doesn't do, that other games like the witcher 3, mass effect, or elder scrolls do for example that would prevent me from wanting the industry to completely follow it's lead, which people imply as if it already does what those games do.

you had a problem with that, and wanted to disparage the other games in favor of souls. So here we are. In the midst of it all, we started talking combat also. if you can't keep up with the conversation, that's fine. I'll help.

But you clearly are getting so upset that you are tempted to ignore, as if you are being trolled or berated or something. When in reality every point you brought up has been responded to, I didn't get that in return lol i should ignore you tbh. I won't though.

No ones upset Im just astounded at the mental leaps one would go to think they are right on a message board. Its amusing to witness continue. Whats your next incredibly hot take. You already said people play mgs primarily for the story :mjlol:

only thing I disparged about w3 was its piss poor gameplay. You then started on your long winded dmc is a holy grail diatribe when that shyt hasnt been impressive to me since I was in middle school. Ive beaten every single one of them shyts on dmd, bayonetta on the hardest difficulty all secret bosses you name it. Youre gaming skills nor acumen aint special breh.

you fail to realize dexterity isnt a full proof barometer of difficulty. Johnny in XRD execution wise is hardest in game possible. But his actual gameplan is incredibly simple. Sure there is a barrier of entry to learn his combos but someone will always do so.

Last edited:

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
No ones upset Im just astounded at the mental leaps one would go to think they are right on a message board. Its amusing to witness continue. Whats your next incredibly hot take. You already said people play mgs primarily for the story :mjlol:

you think MGS has great gameplay mechanics? You think that's really what is selling the game? lol or do you think that maybe people like the direction, pacing, story and characters along with all of that.
you aren't even debating man, you are just avoiding direct counters to your statements. And purposely misrepresenting things that were said down the line in order to make it look like you have a dog in the fight.

the other people here I respect because they are actually attempting to respond to each statement.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
a new souls player understanding how to upgrade his weapons with smithing stones and where to find each variant, using talismans and stats for say...bleed or holy damage , and creating an overall build for PVP takes grinding and understanding the rpg systems. it has little to do with mechanical skill or dexterity of inputs. They are different.
I’m talking about within the actual combat. You have to manage all that stuff and hit the right button at the right time.

you generally level, and upgrade, and build. That's all you need to get through a souls game, like any RPG. The hardcore component is within PVP.
This is not true at all. With an extremely leveled character you can still get got by the smallest of grunts. Conversely with enough skill you can beat the most difficult boss without leveling up at all.

Oh, but let me guess leveling is making the game "easier", lol good luck in PVP with that attitude. also that concept essentially makes the RPG component of the game meaningless. Miyazaki wants you to find the cool shyt and upgrade. and find the upgrades in cool places, arguably the best part of the game, not the combat.
PVP is different from the main game, but even there, someone with skill can and will beat a higher level person without skill.

And here you are contradicting yourself. First you said, combat was all there is to a souls game, and now you are saying the combat is not the main part of the game.

Stop it:stopitslime:
very arguable. and also doesn't mean one has more complex or expansive combat systems either, even if that was the case. Souls does some...interesting things in a design sense, in order to keep things...awkward

My point was it's more expansive, fluid, offers more creative versatility, nastier, and the dexterity involved to set up a string and get an SSS combo or something is more complex than what you need to in Elden ring to kill a basic enemy. I'm playing Elden now, the shyt isn't hard... doesn't exactly make my fingers hurt lol
Again the only difference is the Combos. DMC is combo based. Dark souls is not.

With both you have to be very adept, on time, and skilled with your button presses.

If anything Dark souls takes more patience and DMC takes more twitch/fast/timing skills.

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
And here you are contradicting yourself. First you said, combat was all there is to a souls game, and now you are saying the combat is not the main part of the game.

lol well you get these things to...well...fight some more. So the combat focus still stands. you do little else to engage with the world outside of fighting, and everything you do in the game circles back to fighting. Meaning combat is an integral focus, more so than the other good open RPG's like mass effect or the witcher 3.

which isn't a knock mind you, But it's like comparing the raid films to the lord of the rings films. both great at what they do, but one is doing quite a bit... more.

With both you have to be very adept, on time, and skilled with your button presses.

If anything Dark souls takes more patience and DMC takes more twitch/fast/timing skills.

and more options in a moveset generally will never hurt a combat system as long as it is balanced. The combat system that allows for more player creativity and nuance, is generally better in terms of manual dexterity and input.

but ever since souls arrived, everyone acts as if ninja gaiden, DMC, etc are just mindless or something.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
you think MGS has great gameplay mechanics? You think that's really what is selling the game? lol or do you think that maybe people like the direction, pacing, story and characters along with all of that.
you aren't even debating man, you are just avoiding direct counters to your statements. And purposely misrepresenting things that were said down the line in order to make it look like you have a dog in the fight.

the other people here I respect because they are actually attempting to respond to each statement.

You got it chief

if it makes you sleep better you ”won” this discourse, now stay the fukk out of my notifications :scust:

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I’m talking about within the actual combat. You have to manage all that stuff and hit the right button at the right time.

This is not true at all. With an extremely leveled character you can still get got by the smallest of grunts. Conversely with enough skill you can beat the most difficult boss without leveling up at all.

PVP is different from the main game, but even there, someone with skill can and will beat a higher level person without skill.

Breh is trolling.

you can level to 999 if you dont know what youre doing Radahn gon fade you just like if you level 10 :stopitslime:

And it isnt even an easy option, either learn the game or you dont progress. Any of them action games if you so choose you can set to baby difficulty and button mash till your hearts content

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Breh is trolling.

you can level to 999 if you dont know what youre doing Radahn gon fade you just like if you level 10 :stopitslime:

Then that would mean the game level scales with you and essentially the rpg aspect is a lie.

Either that or the leveling is so lightly incremental, that the characters progression is a farce and tampered with in order to preserve difficulty. Not a good look for FROM either...

Which one is it? Lol

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Then that would mean the game level scales with you and essentially the rpg aspect is a lie.

Either that or the leveling is so lightly incremental, that the characters progression is a farce and tampered with in order to preserve difficulty. Not a good look for FROM either...

Which one is it? Lol

:dwillhuh:

Im certain youre trolling now stop quoting me. Skyrim literally scales levels. So thats not an rpg now? If this isnt a display to everyone you dont know what the fukk youre even talking About IDK what is.

Just stop quoting me man its embarassing. I wasnt even responding to you

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Which one is it? Lol
No.

The leveling allows you to be more imperfect.

You can beat the game without leveling at all if you get every single button press perfectly on time.

As you level, you grant yourself more chance for mistakes.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
yet you really can't argue why I'm "wrong" lol and in all honesty...your arguments here have been the most immature and derailing out of anyone.
Breh, you are wrong.

You think a large combo list is the only thing that matters when it comes to deep combat mechanics. Sekiro takes far more skill to master than something like ninja gaiden, even with a smaller moveset.

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Im certain youre trolling now stop quoting me. Skyrim literally scales levels. So thats not an rpg now? If this isnt a display to everyone you dont know what the fukk youre even talking About IDK what is.

Just stop quoting me man its embarassing. I wasnt even responding to you

yeah that's one of the worst things about skyrim and oblivion actually, hence why there's alot of mods that remove that aspect. Skyrim was pretty poor in the RPG lane in many ways in comparison to it's predecessors. At least oblivion had more expansive loot, better quests, enchanted items, the arena, and more attributes like athletics etc.
you know what game doesn't scale with you? and has enemies truly of a higher level that you wouldn't be able to touch if you aren't at a certain level? the witcher 3 ;)

and why are you so upset? you've yet to actually argue any points at all. you fight like a female. emotional.

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Breh, you are wrong.

You think a large combo list is the only thing that matters when it comes to deep combat mechanics. Sekiro takes far more skill to master than something like ninja gaiden, even with a smaller moveset.

not remotely what I had said, fluidity, options, depth that's what makes good combat mechanics, and FROM isn't on the same level as DMC or Ninja Gaiden developers when it comes to that. Patiently waiting for an attack to then dodge or parry, is a design choice, but not exactly complex in the sense of MANUAL contextual requirements from the player.

and beating ninja gaiden on master ninja is much harder to do than getting through sekiro lol are you serious man? This is FROM fanboyism at this point.

and also, most combat oriented games have aspects to it where "patience" and "timing" is required. this isn't a feature exclusive to fukking souls games. New ass gamers who barely touched anything else like Aveda up there, are the types of kids who don't know any better and think it's something they invented. Most difficult bosses on high difficulty levels you had to kinda wait for the right time to do things or dodge at a specific moment etc in all of those games. that isn't inherently only a souls feature.

Also...the shyt isn't sexy.