Daily Office Life At Death Row (UPDATED With More General Fukkery)

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
SUCCESS IS WHEN OPPORTUNITY MEETS PREPARATION!

As far as the rest of what you said I agree. Unfortunately it's one of those situations where the reputation fuels the success and Suge probably felt boxed in by his previous gang ties.

Think about it this way. If your business model is taking artists out of shytty situations (contracts or otherwise) then you can't lose the reputation of being a crazy mfer willing to do whatever it takes (like hanging people off balconies). And if your brand (Death Row) is based on the fusion of hardcore gangsta rap music with a real life connection to the streets, then how do you ensure you don't lose one without maintaining the other? Not to mention that the ties to the streets most likely preceded the formation of Death Row.

:yes:

1-8-7-Skillz

Superstar
Daps
Suge deserves all of this shyt he is stuck in now, if he hadnt fukked up his label so bad we wouldve got so much dope music :mjcry:
Instead he has to act like a schoolyard bully and fukk up his label, money & artists.
And now he has absolutely nothin, no money, nothing.
Dre & Snoop must be laughin their asses off lookin at him rottin in jail, lookin all flabby now

fukkyalifestyle

Superstar
Daps
Anyone have a full break down bout how suge finessed harry o? Didn't David Kenner screw Harry O and rolled with Suge when he met Suge through Harry o?

Daps
Reppin
Westside Atl Perry Homes
I know you said Griffey may have been jealous, but according to him on the old Welcome To Death Row documentary, Death Row got a "regular ol'" P&D deal with Interscope even tho they wanted to own their masters & all. Dont know if theres any validity to it tho.

I just wonder HOW Suge was able to get that power you speak of. Or P. Or Birdman. I somewhat know of Suges history and only a little of P & Baby. But what them not also get hijacked by the corps like Russell for example? Or give them that much money & push vs anybody else?

Like from my understanding, Cash Money pretty much was Universals version of a trendy market & label - No Limit. And i know P was almost a B-ball star, had family that owned record stores (and i think Baby/Slim family owned businesses prior too) & such. Reason i bring these things up is i wonder if any of that relates to the power they got.

Cant just be "well they did a great deal". Cuz thats all relative. And everybody doesnt just get offered "great deals", especially in the entertainment biz.
Don't know about the other two, but P said priority didn't believe he would make money, so they pretty much let him keep all his shyt.

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
Don't know about the other two, but P said priority didn't believe he would make money, so they pretty much let him keep all his shyt.

Yeah, but to own 100% of your masters and keep 85% of the sales and only pay back 15% for distrubution is still bonkers. Especially for someone they "dont believe in". Cant just be that. Cuz Priority obviously had various artists and i bet you none of them got a deal like that. And why him? Why Suge?

It gotta be more so their connections to the gangstas. Cant be anything else. With Suge we kinda know that with the Harry-O shyt, the Kenner shyt, the dikk Griffy, MOB etc.

Kinda the same with Tommy Mottola. Where we know about it to a large degree.

But with P - not so much. Same with Baby. Or Prince.

I mean it is still the entertainment business, where we're told not to believe everything we see & hear. Right?

He definitely had a machine behind him. Maybe that came from his basketball shyt? Or maybe he had fam in the music industry? Not to knock him or anyone else but i believe theres so many shyt like that happening in the entertainment world. It happens in regular world too, but definitely in the biz.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps

It was some video someone posted, P got in contact with Micheal Jackson's lawyer who told him ohow to get the MJ deal. He had to give Priority 200k upfront, basically pay for his own marketing they would handle distribution only, he owned masters and everything else.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What version of Ain't no Fun says red? The version I got says 64 rag to be exact. Never heard red I think someone made that shyt up.
Someone upped the demo of the song. And the lyrics mention nothing about a 64. So I do believe the story of Suge telling to say red.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Sounds like hell on earth (No Mobb Deep), as a musician, I can't imagine going to record in an environment similar to Iraq/Afghanistan.

pawdalaw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Fayetteville
Somebody posted some shyt about my nikka nate Dogg being one of the nikkas suge ain't lean on. Can any ol heads verify nate being thurl?
From what I read it was Nate and RBX. I gotta find that video where Rbx and Suge was about to square up over some KFC.

Everybody from the Row said Nate was bout it though. We all saw him club them boys from Ruthless when they ran up... Plus the interview last year when BG Nockout (?) said every time he saw Nate that Nate was woofing at him on some bully shyt while the rest of DPG was saying the disses were just music.

As far as P, Baby and them. They knew how to tell the labels no back then. They didn't take the first offer thrown out. Because they were seeing $ without the label. Most acts back then just wanted a deal. These boys wanted a business.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
From what I read it was Nate and RBX. I gotta find that video where Rbx and Suge was about to square up over some KFC.

Everybody from the Row said Nate was bout it though. We all saw him club them boys from Ruthless when they ran up... Plus the interview last year when BG Nockout (?) said every time he saw Nate that Nate was woofing at him on some bully shyt while the rest of DPG was saying the disses were just music.

As far as P, Baby and them. They knew how to tell the labels no back then. They didn't take the first offer thrown out. Because they were seeing $ without the label. Most acts back then just wanted a deal. These boys wanted a business.