Votes: 30 41.7%

• Total voters

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
People keep talking about conforming…hair and facial hair style have certain connotations and energy that isn’t racial.

Why don’t you wear just a mustache with no chin hair? Bc you’d look like a pedo

Why don’t you get a goatee. Bc it’s outdated and you’d look Scott Peterson

Why don’t adult men get statight back cornrows. Bc it’s outdated.

Why do you get a beard. It conveys strength.

Why don’t you get the razor thin chinstrap beard? Bc you’d look like a 90s boy band.

I could go on. So for some a short hairstyle represents structure for the kid in THEIR home, nothing to do with ’conforming ’
No need for any of these theories, the dad already explained he made that decision entirely because of conformity.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
They look like their parents are hood and/or they are DEFINITELY raised by single mothers :lolbron::yeshrug:

I mean a kid somewhat, but ..fukk it it is what it is. Cats wanna be politically correct but, shyt, whatever. I have 2 nephews and them dudes was wild af when their hair was long. Calmed down after. I went to college in the melo/AI/B2K era and after graduation nggas leveled up and cut they hair. Its anecdotal, it’s some shyt ready made for nggas to :mjpls: but if you being real you know what time it is.
I think this is a very small take and limiting to black aesthetics. The respectability politics “you only a good lil negro if your erase every visible sign of your unkempt unruly hair” needs to be dead. Ironically, some of the most strait laced geeky dudes I knew growing up had locs.

We keep punishing blacks for daring to be anything outside of a fade haircut or a silk press, but then get mad when whites do it to us too.

The first lil black boy’s parents are suing a school for kicking him out for wearing locs. We get how wrong that is. Now how much of a mindfukk is it when the parents themselves perpetuate that same energy.

Here’s the real deal. Your hair in America won’t stop you from getting fukked over for your race no matter how you wear it. I’d rather blacks stop obsessing over it and love it in all its forms, instead of worrying about conforming to a system that will push our shyt in no matter what.

Don’t get me wrong, I got family members who feel like u do but I think they wrong too :pachaha:

Superstar
Daps
I’ve seen boys cry out because they want a haircut and the mother won’t let them because they’re so pressed on the boy having good hair that they always want it long. Those type of women are wack. I’m sure she gonna make it seem like the boy so sad and embarrassed but truth be told he probably scared of his mother and the consequences.
idk he kinda looks sad to me :dahell:

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I still check up on my dad.

I am siding with the dad here. The mom is out of pocket. He is trying to turn his son into a man and she interfering with that.

:manny:
How is he turning him into a man with a f’d up haircut? The father couldn’t take the time to properly learn how to cut his hair, nor spend the money to get it properly done by a professional

Mazino

All Star
Daps
Yall really dont know how the streets work. If you did you' d know better.

Which is why we in this shyt we in now. A father wants to raise his child how he wants and hear you you bytch ass nikkas go with a issue.
As if there is one hair style dominating street culture, shut your dumb ass up with your false equivalence bullshyt.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
People keep talking about conforming…hair and facial hair style have certain connotations and energy that isn’t racial.

Why don’t you wear just a mustache with no chin hair? Bc you’d look like a pedo

Why don’t adult men get straight back cornrows? Bc you’d look like Sam Jackson in Formula 51

Why is :flabbynsick: a thing. Bc he’s too old for a fukking high top fade

I could go on. So for some a short hairstyle represents structure for the kid in THEIR home, nothing to do with ’conforming ’
What does a kid with braids look like then?

The point the post I quoted made is that there is no perceived image kids need to conform to, thus there is no structure to be built for a kid by forcing him to get this or that hairstyle. The only thing displayed is control over silly shyt.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
After some thought, they both just in the wrong.

If the dad DID request that they not put that in his head then they should’ve discussed it and came to an understanding

His reasoning is kinda stupid to me, but it’s his child and until kid is older or can pay for his own cuts then he can’t make that decision

For the mother, it should’ve been discussed. Yeah, she didn’t have to listen to the father but this is the result. If she can make decisions on her childs appearance than so can he.

The person suffering is the child.

What I will disagree with the father is sending his fukking son out there looking like that. At least get him a FRESH cut if you’re going to cut it at all. Why would you want your son presented out like that… was it a punishment to your son? Or was it a punishment to the mother, because regardless the kid got to go through that embarrassment not them.