Cutting Your Locs to Get a Job

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Whats yall opinion, especially STEM brehs. I'm getting a BS in chemistry soon and I'm tryna get an internship this summer. Moms and all my aunts stay telling me ima have to cut my shyt. Really don't want to but I got the high top dreads like this
e0e15a0dc02b74da920ebe51c378d419.jpg
so I know that shyt gon look even worse to these cacs

That’s weird I would assume STEM is the best place to be if you want to work and keep your dreads.

Now the business and law field is another story

:mjgrin:

Balla

Superstar
Daps
How big the fro tho?

I gotta big ass fro.

Although I do like my afro but nappy afros and glasses is a very comfortable style for cacs. Many black nerds on TV rock that style and gives you more of a geeky vibe, which is good for a tech job.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
That shyt was mad deep to me. Damn.

That's a 1991 thought. Due to brothers putting in work before u and I, we black men are accepted as we come naturally (albiet WELL-GROOMED/not unkempt) and they won't say shyt about your clean locs with their low-T tech asses. :ld:

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
Funny how the facial hair and hair style prejudices don't apply to cacs, right?
There are lot of us who haven’t caught on that us existing pisses cacs off.

I know I’m not the one looking for the job with dress. But if an employer is willing to discard a potential hire because of their hair, that says more about them.

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
This is the same site that chastizes black women for wearing weaves,and blonde hair,implying it means they want to be white.
Acknowledging they are in fact willing to cut off their hair,and dress as europeans in order to appease the white mans sensibilities:khalid:
While weaves MAY be a symptom of self hatred,this type of mentality is DEFINITELY self hatred and proof that the self worth of many black men are based on the european lense.
Don't ever cut off your hair in order to be accepted,this is the equeivalant of caving into a whip and calling yourself Toby,except there is no whip involved so it only makes matters worst.
The submission and comprimising of yourself and your soul will only snowball after this.
One of y’all always gotta run up in here talking some nonsense
Mfs is talking about getting job, this nikka gon start yapping bout self hatred

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Been there...done that.

As you get older....you're going to learn to pick your battles...or to adapt.

Here's what I mean by adapt.
For example...find out if there is a local branch of a Black trade association in your area. Black professionals who work in the general field you want to enter. Go to a mixer...or meeting. Ask them questions about the hair and how much it may impact your career path or the fields/jobs were it will be less of an issue. You're far from the first person who has had this issue.

If your choice of hairstyle/expression is that important to you you can make informed decision and tradeoff about where to go.

this...i had cornrows and earrings in both ears before i went to interview for my first job out of grad school....sometimes you have to play the game depending on how and where you start and use judgment..i cut it off and took the earrings out for the interview...didnt regret it

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Tell me, what the fukk does Whitey know about African hair :gucci:

These motherfukkers have become so bossy and entitled they think they can even pass judgement on Black hair. Something they have zero knowledge about.

I'm in no position to tell a cac I dont like his stringy hair, these cacs equally need to get off our shyt once and for all..

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Got my job when my locs were about 3' long after growing them for 16 years.

(Got them in a bag in my closet.)

Cut 'em off last year because I got tired of sitting on my hair/getting it caught in doors. Now rocking a 2" afro and about to start the locs up again.

It's just hair, breh. It'll grow back. You can't grow competence.​

soulfuljah

All Star
Daps
I work in sales at a Fortune 500 company and I have a nose ring and freeforms past my waist. :yeshrug:
I told my wife when I first started growing them that I was going to cut em after 10 years. Started the new job right at the 10 year mark, so i told her I was going to wait a while so it didn't seem like I was cutting em for the man. :ahh:
They are getting cut right after Christmas though.
When I approach a new job, I go in feeling like I have to be undeniable. My knowledge, work ethic, and knowing how to network all played a major part.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Shorten them to 3 inches if you are that insecure.

Either way locs don’t get as much hate as they used to.

Last edited: