Cutting Your Locs to Get a Job

Jparker

Innocence lost in the EAST
Daps
Reppin
Durham,NC
Tbh. This is rare. I've work various corporate gigs I rarely see white dudes or any dudes with long hair.

I don't even see that many dudes with long beards. All managers, directors, leads have short hair and no beards.

Obviously different if you grow after the job is secured
That’s not rare breh. What age group do you work with?

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I think long hair and beards are more acceptable now than they were even just 10 years ago so I think you would be fine as long as you have them in a professional looking style for the interview.

Cheese McNair

Bought it this morning, drive it like I stole it
Daps
It’s kinda depressing that a thread like this had to be made but this is the game we are in

Although I do like my afro but nappy afros and glasses is a very comfortable style for cacs. Many black nerds on TV rock that style and gives you more of a geeky vibe, which is good for a tech job.

graduation track six

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Out of curiosity, how many people answering have/had locs and made it into the profession or job of their choice? Did you have thoughts similar to the OP? I wanna keep mine but shyt can be skressful breh
I am in STEM (software dev) I have the exact same hairstyle as OP. same length too

I was worried about the same stuff OP is, but my boy basically said to me "stem guys are in high demand, no way are they gonna think youre good enough for the job but not take you on because of your hairstyle"

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Please keep them. I made that mistake in senior year in high school and regretted it since. Keep your nose clean and give it you 100% and they cant say shyt to you. It's going to be so much harder growing it back later on in adulthood. People look down at you so much more in that awkward fro phase while growing locks. Blacks and latinos will criticize you more than whites.

We need more professional black men with natural hair in corporate. Our women already paved the way.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
yet you'll work with cacs like
Man-Bun-is-Ready-for-Business-650x650.jpg

long-hairstyles-for-men-with-thick-hair-condition-air-dry-min-1024x683.jpg

you forgot to add the tattoos that they told us we shouldn't have for corporate america

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Out of curiosity, how many people answering have/had locs and made it into the profession or job of their choice? Did you have thoughts similar to the OP? I wanna keep mine but shyt can be skressful breh

I dont have dreads yet, but my hair looks like this
black-men-twisted-curls-haircut-500x628.jpg

thinking about dreading them up...

but i have a career in the education field..although I work in Atlanta, and the school where I work at everyone is black except one old white lady. Even if I choose to work in the white part of town im not cutting my hair for shyt

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
I dont have dreads yet, but my hair looks like this
black-men-twisted-curls-haircut-500x628.jpg

thinking about dreading them up...

but i have a career in the education field..although I work in Atlanta, and the school where I work at everyone is black except one old white lady. Even if I choose to work in the white part of town im not cutting my hair for shyt

I think that style is more readily accepted. Education seems like the safest industry for locs IMO. I know a breh who got his master's and went straight into counseling at college making $60+ and his shyt had been loc'd.

Perceptions seem to change across the board with locs too, at least in my experience. The number of brehs that ask me if I smoke kush since I loc'd my hair has skyrocketed :mindblown:

Genos

Superstar
Daps
It’s kinda depressing that a thread like this had to be made but this is the game we are in
Yeah its fukked up, but the place I work at is actually really cool and don't really give a fukk how you look so I go to work now however I want. But before I got to play that game or find a passion that pays