Cutting Your Locs to Get a Job

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
NOW, but did you get in with them? I feel like that's the hardest part. Making sure they don't go against you. Once you're it loosens uo a tiny bit.

Hate to hear that but I respect the honesty :ld:

Bruh I had a high-top box fade with a part when I first got hired, lol. shyt became too much maintenance so I started rocking the Markelle Fultz twist.

There's plenty of cats here with locks or the sponge fro.

The Radiant One

Superstar
Daps
Also OP you can also think of getting into the healthcare field you can be a physician assistant and have good job security. You can choose any field of medicine and make 100k+ DM or post questions here and they will definitely let you keep your locks and you can get a job anywhere.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
@OP STEM is the one field you might see people with all type of hairstyles, no matter if they black/white, etc. We're the "creatives" lol

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
For an internship???

Your moms is trippin breh. Keep the lox, u aint even graduated yet.

Ive worked with brehs with nose rings and sleeve tattoos. When i was in SF for an Oracle conference i was probably one of the most conservatively..... "groomed" person there (outside of the business guys). And i have a beard and a nappy high top with a fade.

...o3

...eye see messages in music
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
dallas, tx
op, how long have you been growing your locs? i just started locking mine the other day and the style you had in the pics is what i'm shooting for in some years.

oh yea..........bump.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
I remember I tried to get some day labor work in construction but my locs grew bunched up like a pineapple.

Cac at the desk said

"You can get a construction job but you'll have to cut your hair"

"I said nah I ain't cutting me hair"

Cac said something about being an adult and some other shyt :mjpls:

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
Great thread. I was tempted to make one similar

Out of curiosity, how many people answering have/had locs and made it into the profession or job of their choice? Did you have thoughts similar to the OP? I wanna keep mine but shyt can be skressful breh

I see this thread has been bumped so I got updates

I'm at my breaking point brehs :sadcam: Been job hunting for the longest and I still can't get in nowhere. Not even interviews! And what I managed to accomplish last year was just STOOPID :mindblown: this is bullshyt

I've hit the point where if something finally comes along, and my locs are the only thing in the way, I'm cutting em :snoop: I got a real dope business on the side but this fukk ass job I'm currently working and the pennies its giving me aren't helping me pay the bills-- or scale the business-- and I already know exactly what I need to do for it to happen.

I figure I'll get my money/experience situation right. Get the biz rolling. And grow them back out again. Not suggesting that for anybody else, but this is where *I* am :mjcry:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I see this thread has been bumped so I got updates

I'm at my breaking point brehs :sadcam: Been job hunting for the longest and I still can't get in nowhere. Not even interviews! And what I managed to accomplish last year was just STOOPID :mindblown: this is bullshyt

I've hit the point where if something finally comes along, and my locs are the only thing in the way, I'm cutting em :snoop: I got a real dope business on the side but this fukk ass job I'm currently working and the pennies its giving me aren't helping me pay the bills-- or scale the business-- and I already know exactly what I need to do for it to happen.

I figure I'll get my money/experience situation right. Get the biz rolling. And grow them back out again. Not suggesting that for anybody else, but this is where *I* am :mjcry:

its tough breh but keep your head up, its always a struggle finding a job bt when you do suddenly all these places you applied before start hittig you back

VelourSocks

Absentee Mind But The Wisdom Reach Mine
Daps
Reppin
Yoshi City
Got my job when my locs were about 3' long after growing them for 16 years.

(Got them in a bag in my closet.)

Cut 'em off last year because I got tired of sitting on my hair/getting it caught in doors. Now rocking a 2" afro and about to start the locs up again.

It's just hair, breh. It'll grow back. You can't grow competence.​
it’s just hair but you got old hair locked up in a bag in your closet? I don’t get it.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Been there...done that.

As you get older....you're going to learn to pick your battles...or to adapt.

Here's what I mean by adapt.
For example...find out if there is a local branch of a Black trade association in your area. Black professionals who work in the general field you want to enter. Go to a mixer...or meeting. Ask them questions about the hair and how much it may impact your career path or the fields/jobs were it will be less of an issue. You're far from the first person who has had this issue.

If your choice of hairstyle/expression is that important to you you can make informed decision and tradeoff about where to go.

Truth

africngiant

All Star
Daps
my shyts starting to shake then lay flat and freeform when i wet it in the shower

my reasoning for getting locs was that even though ive made an effort to act/look “modest” my whole life, i still get overlooked and treated like shyt. this is my personal idgaf anymore to myself

Van Cleef

All Star
Daps
i got my dreads like this and jobs dont care

vK7bYY6.png