Cutting Your Locs to Get a Job

Oatmeal

6th Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DNA-LEVEL-C
Fck that, don't cut your locs for them. Stuff be crazy when black folks are forced to assimilate to a certain standard but then the goal posts keep moving for them. When I was in high school i use to get heat from the dean for having long braids, then they said I couldn't wear a fro, then when it was braided different my hair couldn't touch my shirt collar, by the time I finished I ain't never cut my shyt and fought them the whole way, meanwhile white guys was coming in like this
Short-liberty-spikes.jpg

They can't determine what's professional for black folks because what they'd consider professional could be to have you not work there :pacspit:

Thread got me heated my bad :umad:

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Were you trying with them though? What was that experience like? I've seen/know SOME brehs with locs in that are programmers, but it might be the particular companies they're with are cool

I'll admit I didn't start looking till I cut them off but I looked at it as taking the path of least resistance. I loved my hair but not enough to potentially limit any opportunities. I do definitely look more clean cut without them

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
I got twist now and make 6 figures at a big 4. Dont cut you hair. As long as your skills are tight, you'll be good.

NOW, but did you get in with them? I feel like that's the hardest part. Making sure they don't go against you. Once you're it loosens uo a tiny bit.

I'll admit I didn't start looking till I cut them off but I looked at it as taking the path of least resistance. I loved my hair but not enough to potentially limit any opportunities. I do definitely look more clean cut without them

Hate to hear that but I respect the honesty :ld:

BeeCityRoller

New Bee
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queen City
If you need to cut your locs to appease an employer, chances are you will have trouble in that environment regardless off the strength of being a black male, not a black male with locs.

If you cut them, will it improve your chances of an internship/job? Sure, question is how much. At my main job I work in a corporate environment and have had locs for years (and a beard for the past year or so) but I stay properly groomed, style on point, and get the job done well. That's what really matters, same can be said about the other 2 guys in my building with locs.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
Out of curiosity, how many people answering have/had locs and made it into the profession or job of their choice? Did you have thoughts similar to the OP? I wanna keep mine but shyt can be skressful breh
Only time I cut my shyt was for a government gig. Never had locs but always had long hair/braids. The field of education is more lax on things like that though.

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
yet you'll work with cacs like
Man-Bun-is-Ready-for-Business-650x650.jpg

long-hairstyles-for-men-with-thick-hair-condition-air-dry-min-1024x683.jpg

Tbh. This is rare. I've work various corporate gigs I rarely see white dudes or any dudes with long hair.

I don't even see that many dudes with long beards. All managers, directors, leads have short hair and no beards.

Obviously different if you grow after the job is secured