Cutting Your Locs to Get a Job

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
Out of curiosity, how many people answering have/had locs and made it into the profession or job of their choice? Did you have thoughts similar to the OP? I wanna keep mine but shyt can be skressful breh
When I first became a nurse I had braids.

I was going to try getting braids about 6 months ago but I realized I’m too old for that shyt.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Do what’s best for your career. I’m probably in the minority but I’d cut them. It’s only hair. It’ll grow back when your position is secure. I was always told long hair on men is usually not considered professional. Beards too until recently

Treblemaka

President, BYNKRadio.com (Retired)
Daps
Reppin
Black Empowerment
Im an IT consultant, I have a nose piercing (stud) and 22" locs (I keep them neat tho).

You dont have to cut your locs to eat out here STEM brehs. Skill pay the bills.

You'll never be an EVP or anything but 6 figures and career growth are def possible with locs.

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
Appreciate all the input brehs:salute:
Been there...done that.

As you get older....you're going to learn to pick your battles...or to adapt.

Here's what I mean by adapt.
For example...find out if there is a local branch of a Black trade association in your area. Black professionals who work in the general field you want to enter. Go to a mixer...or meeting. Ask them questions about the hair and how much it may impact your career path or the fields/jobs were it will be less of an issue. You're far from the first person who has had this issue.

If your choice of hairstyle/expression is that important to you you can make informed decision and tradeoff about where to go.

Go to the NSBE National Convention in March so you can skip the corporate bs
Good looking yall, ima definitely join the NOBCChe, get some insight from people specific to my field

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Depends on the firm tbh. My company, I'm good rocking a beard and such. Other places, nah. Gotta be clean shaved.

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
I got locs & been looking for a new job,Same dilemma, same industry.

Been on the fence but y'all Nia's convincing me to keep them:wow:

Repped everyone I could

Last edited:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
It really depends on the company but if the place is really causal, t shirt and jeans, you shouldn’t have a problem.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
My hair was down to the middle of my back. It took forever to grow. Cut it for a job, grew it back out, cut it for another job, grew it back out, cut it again.

From my experience, when you are looking for a job and doing interviews, you’ll have better luck with short hair than long hair. However, once you’ve been there a while and have proven your worth, you can grow it out again, if you want.

However, I work in a very conservative industry now though, and I definitely would not have got this job if I had long hair at the interview, or ever really. No guys have long hair at my job, and I work around a lot of people.

I think it really depends on the industry, location, and culture. Like you can have extremely long hair and dress any way you’d like in Silicon Valley, but if you work in corporate at an oil and gas company in Texas, that shyt isn’t gonna fly.

Benefited

Banned
Daps
This is the same site that chastizes black women for wearing weaves,and blonde hair,implying it means they want to be white.
Acknowledging they are in fact willing to cut off their hair,and dress as europeans in order to appease the white mans sensibilities:khalid:
While weaves MAY be a symptom of self hatred,this type of mentality is DEFINITELY self hatred and proof that the self worth of many black men are based on the european lense.
Don't ever cut off your hair in order to be accepted,this is the equeivalant of caving into a whip and calling yourself Toby,except there is no whip involved so it only makes matters worst.
The submission and comprimising of yourself and your soul will only snowball after this.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Whats yall opinion, especially STEM brehs. I'm getting a BS in chemistry soon and I'm tryna get an internship this summer. Moms and all my aunts stay telling me ima have to cut my shyt. Really don't want to but I got the high top dreads like this
e0e15a0dc02b74da920ebe51c378d419.jpg
so I know that shyt gon look even worse to these cacs
Some of them older black women be lowkey hating

Soon as I came home had my mom hating on my locs.