Cricket question

nomoreneveragain

Superstar
Daps
I been watching some of these Indian League matches,kind of hard to follow at first but i think i got most of the rules but one thing i dont get is the wickets...Why do they keep track of the wickets if the match is determind by runs scored ?? If a team wins by scoring most runs why do they say won by 155 runs over 6 wickets...the wickets means outs but it seems to hold no relevance to the score ???

Lets Say Team A Scored 200/3

If Team B Scores 201/9

Than Team B won by 1 Wicket

-------------------

If Team A Scores 200/3

Team B Scores 199/1

Than Team A won by 1 run.

These are 20 Over matches but in 50overs and Test Matches ... Teams are bowled out more frequently

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
Lets Say Team A Scored 200/3

If Team B Scores 201/9

Than Team B won by 1 Wicket

-------------------

If Team A Scores 200/3

Team B Scores 199/1

Than Team A won by 1 run.

These are 20 Over matches but in 50overs and Test Matches ... Teams are bowled out more frequently

Aight but you have to score more runs to win the match regardless of wickets...My thing is wickets is like Turnovers in football its a stat thats part of the game but it doesnt determine the winner...and yea those 20 over games go 3 hours theres no way i could watch 50 overs over 2-3 days i aint about that life...

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
Why does West Indies have a team,why dont trinidad and jamaica get there own teams for tournaments?

TheArsenal

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
England
Aight but you have to score more runs to win the match regardless of wickets...My thing is wickets is like Turnovers in football its a stat thats part of the game but it doesnt determine the winner...and yea those 20 over games go 3 hours theres no way i could watch 50 overs over 2-3 days i aint about that life...

It is relevant for test matches. If England get 400 in the 1st inning and 300 in the 2nd and Australia has 300 from the first inning and only get to 250 but England can't take all 10 wickets in their 2nd inning before the end of the 5th day then the match is a draw even though England scored 150 more runs.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Why does West Indies have a team,why dont trinidad and jamaica get there own teams for tournaments?

They put together an all-island team in the 1890's to take on the English squads that toured there. Think how tiny the population of the islands were back then and it makes sense that they'd pool together the best of the best. The first three teams in the ICC were England, Australia, and South Africa. Windies, India, and New Zealand were in the second wave in the 1920's. It's just tradition.

The individual islands do have their own teams, but they only play each other in Carribbean games.

concise

Veteran
Daps

From the little I know,
Because that's a very old tradition going back to the early 1900s or something.

Those countries have their own teams when they play each other like in the Caribbean tournament that was aired not too long ago by ESPN3.

edit - I see post above.

nomoreneveragain

Superstar
Daps

Theres a Target Score, the best way to defend your target score is by getting the team all out.

In T20's you don't see stuff like this

Last edited by a moderator:
Daps
real talk Ive tried figuring out the rules of this thing but its just :mindblown:

I guess its one of those things you had to grow up with to understand

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

50 over games are 1 day over the course of 7-8 hours.

The best part of 50 over games are the 1st 15 overs and the last 15 overs of the innings because of the power plays which is gives the battin team an advantage because of fielding restrictions to the bowling side.

But then it all comes down to what kind of pitch has been prepared and the weather conditions and this factoring into the outcome of the game. Which can means the coin toss is extremely important. Not like in Baseball, as the home team bats last.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
real talk Ive tried figuring out the rules of this thing but its just :mindblown:

I guess its one of those things you had to grow up with to understand

Maybe Test Cricket as thats over 5 days but not 1 day cricket. Cricket has similarities to Baseball like Rugby League has to American Football.

9 innings = 20/50 overs
1 AB = 1 over
27 outs = 10 outs
Ball = wide/no ball but with a run scored
strike = wicket/dot ball/no runs scored

Bolwers have restrictions on the number of overs they allowed to bowl in 20/50 over cricket.

Cricket is like the NL everyone bats, but difference is, your bowlers = startin pitcher and ballpen all in the same line up w/ your batters.

But in cricket once you out you out.

No sub batters or bowlers are allowed if a player gets :deadrose: thats it. They did experiment with subs a few years back but there was flaws with the system they had.

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
If yuo watch a couple matches it becomes easier to follow,its really not that complicated.It just looks aesthetically odd if you didnt grow up around it at first but i dont see the comparison to baseball outside of batting and pitching...you will never learn the game thinking its similar to baseball...The way they throw and bat very different...

Whats funny is Caribbean cats hit the ball like a baseball player type swing,follow thru...whereas the subcontinent cats swing the bat really different they dont really follow thru and extend there arms for power they take more strategic angled type swings at the ball....first thing i noticed...

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
:ohhh: A cricket thread in the Coli

I was up last night at 3am and i stumbled on an IPL match,they are on frequently over here (large indian population) I gave it some air time and it becomes more interesting when yuo know whats going on as with most things...

Within a few weeks i will be placing wagers on these games thats the next step for me...