Creed 2 Thread

chosenaledge13

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Adamsville/ATL

CEO Gary Barber reportedly told Variety that the studio is targeting a November 2017 release date for a follow-up to Ryan Coogler’s Rocky spinoff. “That’s my goal,” Barber said, adding that the date hasn’t been finalized.

If the date pans out, the sequel would drop precisely two years after the first Creed installment. Directed and co-written by Coogler and starring Michael B. Jordan and Sylvester Stallone, Creed has earned excellent reviews and grossed more than $105 million at the North American box office.

Such a quick turnaround might mean that Coogler wouldn’t be able to return to the director’s chair, as he’s currently in talks to helm Marvel’s Black Panther. That movie is due in theaters February 2018.

Creed 2 without Coogler at the helm???

GQkOyDp.gif

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
How the hell would you go back in time unless you cast different actors? The franchise is done, IMO. I love the series, but Rocky had his send off, they made Creed's kid work, but what is left to be told? They're really pushing it.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
On the award circuit this weekend was MGM executive Gary Barber, who I buttonholed at the American Film Institute awards on Friday. He confirmed that things are in flux on a planned "Creed" sequel, which Sylvester Stallone is eager to get under way. It's understandable that Stallone, the powerhouse movie star who wrote and starred in the 1977 Oscar-winner "Rocky" and rode the franchise through five sequels—"Creed" is the 7th in the series—would feel ownership and want to steer the ship forward. At age 69, he may want to proceed with haste; MGM has already slotted the movie for November, 2017.

MGM, which shepherded Ryan Coogler's excellent reboot (which is well past the $100 million mark at the box office) and managed to recruit the reluctant Stallone because Coogler's script was so strong, is in a tricky spot. Do they follow the conventional wisdom and give the star the control over the project, or do they recognize what made this movie so good? Coogler understood not only the bedrock material under the movie, but how to make it authentic, contemporary and accessible to a wide swath of moviegoers who love Stallone as Rocky, but also related to the healing father-son story at its center. Michael B. Jordan had to carry this movie as the son of Apollo Creed, who learns about his father from his fiercest opponent and closest friend, Rocky Balboa.

Coogler is prepping "Black Panther" for Marvel, and may be unavailable to develop and direct a "Creed" sequel. But MGM and Stallone should hang onto to him and his ideas and let him weigh in even if he doesn't direct. Without Coogler's canny smarts and instincts this next installment could easily stall out.

I was surprised by the warmth and love for Stallone in the room at the Golden Globes, where attendees gave him a standing ovation when he won Best Supporting Actor. But who are they moved by? Stallone? Or his greatest creation, Rocky? There is a distinction there. When Stallone apologized during the commercial break at the Golden Globe Awards for forgetting in the pressure of the moment to mention Coogler, Jordan and the countless people who worked on the new movie, while thanking all the ones who helped him to make "Rocky," he revealed his age. The success of "Creed" is about looking forward, not back.

And MGM and Stallone—who delivered the best performance of his career under Coogler's sensitive direction— would be remiss not to remember that.
Why the 'Creed' Sequel Needs Ryan Coogler

Daps
Reppin
The Ghetto of Oz

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The fighting Drago's son or some other big Russian idea has always been corny to me
Fighting wheeler and the son of his fathers trainer .
:martin: They need to bring back Andre Ward for the sequel and quit over thinking this. They basically set it up in the first movie with him putting them hands on Adonis at the beginning and not getting his title shot due to a broke jaw. I don't need Adonis out here looking for Drago son in Russia for payback or some silly shyt like that.
Exactly . And while I liked the love story setter down with giving her a bigger story

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He doesn't need to fight a gotdamn Russian, this ain't '85. If he fought a Muslim, now we're talking :troll:

Andre Ward should return rightfully angry that Adonis stole his shine. They could show Adonis in a montage fighting in big arenas in main events while Ward is toiling on the undercard.
Maybe be the reverse of rocky 3 with wheeler refusing to give Adonis a shot since his trainer says no or something . And Adonis earning his shot again