Crazy article about Notre Dame player Manti Te’o - Says dead girlfriend is a hoax

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
It seems impossible that T'eo isn't complicit in all this nonsense. Then again, he's a big, dumb, religious doofus who is both product of and participant in a very incoherent culture that is fueled by a toxic mix of celebrity-worship, myth-building, and collective delusion. Maybe he was duped, but also embellished to fortify his personal lore.

It's difficult to trust any spin coming from what appears to be a tight-knit Samoan community in Hawaii, and anyone who believes ND's administration is a person who is declaring a desire to be fed convenient lies. ESPN, even when forced to do journalism on this, still seems more a PR extension of NCAA culture, so we get weird interviews with the father of a guy who recruited T'eo about his draft stock. The guy also knows Swarbick. What objective insight can come from such a man?

This reminds me of the Yale QB last year who supposedly skipped his Rhodes Scholar interview in favor of playing in the big Harvard game. Turned out he had no interview, owing to a sexual assault case against him. He knew, the school knew, his coach knew. So how does that story get legs in the first place? How do major news outlets run with the story without doing due diligence? Who believes in the Rhodes Scholar who leaves Nebraska for an academic powerhouse that (wink wink) doesn't offer athletic scholarships?

I guess my point is that bold, pernicious lies are commonplace at this point. I don't know where the line in the sand is anymore when it comes time to sort through who knew what, who was in on what, and how far an individual or institution will go to cover its tracks.

It's a hell of a thing to watch the AD tear up at a presser and speak of hiring independent investigators to look into this supposed hoax and then read about the university's response to an alleged sexual assault committed by one of their football players, and its response to the student who died due to outright negligence on the football team's part. It paints a picture of people in service to an institution whose only mission is to preserve itself. I can't trust anything from those people or that institution.

Ultimately I don't care about T'eo's culpability. However it shakes out, something is very wrong with him. He needs help, not judgment or scorn. Him running with a trumped up, sentimental narrative isn't the most bizarre thing, really. That's as American as it gets. It's downright presidential. The most fukked thing to me is that ND and ESPN are now in control of dictating the terms of a story that should be earning them as much scrutiny as T'eo, if not more.

Also, what does it mean that Notre Dame has known this was a "hoax" since late December yet never addressed it until Deadspin forced the issue? If this was an issue of fraud, wouldn't they have eagerly come out with the details? Why would T'eo still discuss his nonexistent girlfriend's non-death with major media after he and ND learned they'd been had? These teams have sophisticated PR officials who carefully shape and maintain the team's and university's narrative - am I to believe they suddenly didn't know how to get out ahead of this story, that they couldn't* and wouldn't tell T'eo exactly what to say or not say during the media blitz that accompanies a national title game?

There's that scene in The Wire when Hamsterdam is on the verge of blowing up as a story and bringing everyone down with it, and the Mayor convenes several people to figure out how they might spin it all favorably. There's no doubt in my mind that ND knew something was fishy, and some people met to decide how to handle it, and they decided to perpetuate the lies and hope the situation went away with T'eo leaving. I'm also certain they had a contingency plan in their back pocket in case someone blew the lid off everything, with their dates in order, T's crossed and I's dotted, independent investigation bought and paid for as proof of institutional credibility.

Would anything surprise you at this point? I mean as far as institutional corruption and people going to extreme lengths to protect money-making institutions and their high-salaried positions within those institutions? If they had their lawyers and advisers meet with T'eo, his family, and this dude running the account and devised the best possible explanation they could, would that be remotely surprising? I'd believe that more readily than T'eo being fooled into believing in some imaginary woman. He said he knew her for 4 years, he met her in different places... it just doesn't add up. There's not enough duping in the world to explain away all of the lies T'eo aggressively fed the national media.

I guess what I'm saying is that this story doesn't just fukk T'eo, it fukks ND and ESPN because they pushed this bullshyt and benefited from it and had everything to gain from (at best) not examining this story at all, or (at worst) perpetuating what they knew to be bullshyt. ND and ESPN sure as hell ain't about to fall on their swords, so they both are deeply invested in pushing this "catfish" angle and giving a platform to others who confirm it. I think we long ago left the age of the personal hoax (I'm thinking about shyt like the Georgia Tech coach - if I recall correctly his name was O'Leary - who invented credentials on his resume, and the Blue Jays manager who invented a history as a Vietnam Vet) and we're now in the age of the grand, collective hoax (baseball, media, and steroids; Yale, their QB and coach turning sexual assault into a story of nobility and loyalty by some warped alchemy; Lance Armstrong, Brett Favre, and Roger Clemens being obvious pieces of shyt for their careers but never being called on it until the behavior had become so reckless and criminal that it couldn't be ignored or spun, and it was too late for the public to care very much anyway). It's impossible to tell whose hands are dirty anymore, because everyone is so tied together, all of their personal interests served by one another so that after awhile you can't untangle them.

We won't ever know what the fukk happened. No chance. In place of clarity and naked truth we get Lance Armstrong giving curt answers to vetted questions posed by Oprah fukking Winfrey, and an AD choking up as he refers to an investigative report that won't be made public. We get ESPN interviewing their own employee who did a major piece about T'eo and his girlfriend and allowing him to declare, with no critical followup, that he didn't dig deeper into Kekua's death or existence because "there's no manual on this sort of thing," as if fact-checking isn't the most basic of all journalistic practices.

The "catfish" narrative is too neat and clean: it turns T'eo from fraud to victim; it depicts Notre Dame as protective, prompt, and diligent in investigating the story; it scapegoats some random dude in Hawaii no one gives a fukk about. All of this smells rotten as can be. When has the truth ever been so convenient?
:myman:

Finally, someone with a real perspective on this story!!!

nalej

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Seatown
Am I the only one that is now a little convinced he wasn't a part of the hoax? So in the ESPN interview he explains why he lied to his parents about meeting her. He was embarrassed to tell them it was just an online relationship. So if he also lied about the phone calls and just tweeted her a few times, it could be plausible he really wasn't part of the hoax.

I'm starting to feel this fake profile started talking to Manti and because he needed an excuse for a girlfriend he just made her sound way more important that she really was in his life. And I don't think he cared if this profile was fake or not as long as she was willing to be in a relationship.

Either way he's either gay or lying and for sure he's an idiot.

Cool Dr. Money

I’m Lil Jimmy but my boys call me J-Murder!
Daps
Reppin
Q.U./N.J.
:laff: they need to do some I.Q tests on this kid he might be mentally challenged. You have "messages" from the guy apologizing to you but you dont release them :usure: :comeon:

AkaDemiK

I Love Hip-Hop
Daps
Nope the media only witch hunts black athletes stories to expose them. This Hawaiian silk nikka is about to get a pass. :dead: I remember when that tiger shyt got out. Espn was :stylin: on him. Now look at this scramble on 4th and 35 they trying to pull off. SCUST

and donovan mcnabb ain't walking thru that door

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Schaap did say that Te'o was amost too comfortable during the interview like he was telling a story that was made up than what was really going on

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This, everyone seems to ignore the initial report of them being related/family friends. I ain't forget

Most people threw that shyt in the bushes when a couple other guys came out saying they had been dupped too.

More shyt that doesn't add up is the idea that Te'o was talking to the other guys cousin for HOURS on end. I find it hard to believe that TWO people would invest that much time and effort into fukking with dude.

I think both dudes are gay and are just busting their asses to cover it all up. If Te'o comes out as gay dude will essentially be untouchable and might actually move up in the draft.

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its so fukking hilarious that we have heard more from people not involved than the man in the center of the storm. If he was telling the truth this would have been an open and shut case. JUST THINK PEOPLE!!!!! :pachaha:

Exactly. An innocent man would come out and immediately kill this noise. Because he set this shyt up, they just did a PR damage assessment.

"Ok, I'm homo. We made this shyt up to cover up my homoness."

Then from that point it's whats more damaging? Coming out that you're homo, or leading the media on an endless goose chase about the "truth" that you were deceived.

Plus it works better for them to just blame this situation for mentally distracting and preventing him from performing well in the national championship.

:scusthov: this fakkit Gay'o disgusts me

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

If he comes out as gay that makes him the first openly gay man in American professional sports. I can see teams drafting him just for the publicity AND i can see teams being afraid to pass on him for fear of looking homophobic.

If he comes out as gay the narrative will suddenly change to "Our intolerant society forced this poor young man to lie about himself and the person he loved".

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
So the Deadspin article says that Tuiasosopo is a family friend, yet Te'o is saying that he only knew him basically "through Lennay"?

This, everyone seems to ignore the initial report of them being related/family friends. I ain't forget

Im sure they are family friends.

From what Im surmisin from wikipedia the Tuiasosopo is a pretty known family in the Samoan community probably. Marques played in the NFL as did his father and brother and other brother plays in the MLB.

Im sure when Te'o was in high school lighting shyt up they had to have reached out to one another at some point (if the families didnt have a relationship already)

Cool Dr. Money

I’m Lil Jimmy but my boys call me J-Murder!
Daps
Reppin
Q.U./N.J.
If they were smart they wouldnt have the grandmother and the girlfriend dying so close together thats one of the main things that'll make you go :comeon:

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
If he comes out as gay that makes him the first openly gay man in American professional sports. I can see teams drafting him just for the publicity AND i can see teams being afraid to pass on him for fear of looking homophobic.

If he comes out as gay the narrative will suddenly change to "Our intolerant society forced this poor young man to lie about himself and the person he loved".

This. Like the tweet I posted earlier, if he were gay and came out he would be one of the biggest sports stories in history. The NFL would have no choice but to support him.