Reppin
NULL

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:lupe:

Americans should prepare for coronavirus spread in U.S., CDC says
“It’s not so much a question of if this will happen any more, but rather more a question of exactly when," one official said.
Feb. 25, 2020, 11:57 AM CST
Top U.S. public health officials said Tuesday that Americans should prepare for the spread of the coronavirus in communities across the country.

“It’s not so much a question of if this will happen any more, but rather more a question of exactly when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illness,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the head of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said during a media briefing Tuesday.

Download the NBC News app for breaking news

Measures to contain the virus in the U.S. so far have involved restricting travel to and from China — the center of the outbreak — and isolating cases identified so far in this country.

Full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak

But Messonnier said that evidence that the virus is spreading in other countries, such as Iran and Italy, has raised CDC’s “level of concern and expectation that we’ll see spread” in the U.S.

She added that Americans need to prepare for disruptions to their daily lives, including school closings, working from home and delayed elective medical procedures, as efforts to contain and control the possible spread in the U.S. may accelerate in the coming weeks.

holy fukk

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
To people to have been keeping up with it, could this possibly be worst than the Spanish Flu?

it seems like it’s impossible to stop this thing from spreading and it looks like there’s no cure in sight.

eXodus

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To people to have been keeping up with it, could this possibly be worst than the Spanish Flu?

it seems like it’s impossible to stop this thing from spreading and it looks like there’s no cure in sight.

Hmmm, really no way to tell..

obviously the populations are different but
The Spanish flu took out 50 million victims, including some 675,000 American.

Edit: I was about to type up some optimistic shyt.. but did the math.. I don’t know bro to be honest.. it really depends on what the mortality rate ends up being.... probably between .25% and 4%, hopefully closer to the former.

It’s in the us gov and cdc best bet to play it safe, I’ll put it that way ....

2nd edit: the world will respond appropriately.. things will be disrupted and likely a recession but ppl have to understand it’s necessary.

If a 3rd of the population (US) of 300 mil get this .. with a 1% mortality rate, that’s 1 mil ppl.

We won’t allow this to happen, but in my opinion if we had 1918 medicine with our current population, that’s the type of numbers we’d be facing. With advance medicine and proper disease management (quarantine, travel restriction) we will be ok.

Last edited:

eXodus

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yo someone update me
what's the death toll at and is there a cure?
Around 2,500 confirmed .. no vaccine .. probably not for 6-18 months.

Doctors have had some success using certain antivirals used to treat other viruses like hiv. Also some success using plasma from blood of those who have recovered.. the idea is to give those antibodys that the recovered person created to the person who’s immune system cannot fight it

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Reposting my HL comment

I'm surprised it took so long. I know some reps at the biggest safety distributors in the US and last month they were having shortages due to businesses and health care facilities panic buying their inventory to the point they are banning exports and rationing local stores/distributors to only what they have typically bought over the last year.

People don't get N95 is a WIDE designation. N95 means it blocks 95% of particles in theory. If it isn't NIOSH approved (should state on the box) you are wasting your money on a glorified coffee filter. Also, surgical masks are mainly to prevent the operator germs from infecting patients, not necessarily being better at keeping germs out.

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Around 2,500 confirmed .. no vaccine .. probably not for 6-18 months.

Doctors have had some success using certain antivirals used to treat other viruses like hiv. Also some success using plasma from blood of those who have recovered.. the idea is to give those antibodys that the recovered person created to the person who’s immune system cannot fight it
damn so if anyone gets it they fukked...
fukk I was gonna travel in a week but now fukk it, no way
but is this seasonal like cold and flu seasonal? I know it's from chinese eating bats and shyt but i read in a post about it being cold and flu and covid19 season

Daps
but is this seasonal like cold and flu seasonal? I know it's from chinese eating bats and shyt but i read in a post about it being cold and flu and covid19 season

naw it’s not like the movie contagion where you die, plenty of people have recovered.

eXodus

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Naw, I should have said this initially.. the recovery rate is in the 80s.. some ppl have mild symptoms (cough and fever), some asymptomatic..

it’s just that 10% or so (numbers still to be determined) have a rough time fighting it and can develop pneumonia.. for older ppl and ppl with other illnesses it’s a risky thing. BUT younger ppl (30s) have been having those complications too ..