Countdown to Elliot: Dallas Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Was going to say this. We have so many holes on this team, that we wont be able to fill solely in the draft. On top of that, rookies normally dont make a great impact year 1, so we're going to have to spend some money if we want to compete.
We can sign Eric Weddle to a reasonable veteran contract and move Byron to FS as planned. That way we don't have to reach for a safety at 4 who is no sure thing.

Weddle is my number 1 FA wish right now. Getting him would give us a ton of flexibility with who we could take top 5.

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah. I see nothing more than Dre Kirkpatrick in him.

Size and beating up on lesser college opponents got him a ton of hype. Sure, VH3 had a few bad games his season. He was playing hurt and was protecting himself for the draft, which impacted his performance and draft stock.

But leading up to this year, VH3 was regarded as one of the best CBs in the country. Even as a true freshman. Dominated the UA All American game. Comparisons to Joe Haden from a ton of scouts right now. Everybody wants to shyt on him for being too short but he's actually taller than Joe Haden.

Not every cornerback is going to have Sherman or Browner type of size. I just think it's ludicrous that a guy who's basically got it easy playing safety on a stacked team for 2 years (and still didn't put up overly impressive numbers) and then switched to CB and didn't get a single pick or demonstrate any sort of "lockdown" ability has apparently leapfrogged a guy who was the number 1 CB from day one and drew the toughest assignment on the field and absolutely killed it for 2.5 years. 10 INTs in 3 years for VH3 and that was with QBs avoiding his side of the field like the plague.

But hey, what do I know. This team apparently has Ramsey as the top prospect on the board.

Same war room that rated Claiborne as the best Corner since Deion.
To be fair, Claiborne has been the only bust theyve drafted in years. It's not like we reached for him either. I don't think we should draft a DB in the 1st but a ramsey and a Byron Jones secondary could be interesting with their versatility

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
We can sign Eric Weddle to a reasonable veteran contract and move Byron to FS as planned. That way we don't have to reach for a safety at 4 who is no sure thing.

Weddle is my number 1 FA wish right now. Getting him would give us a ton of flexibility with who we could take top 5.
Which is why I think all this talk about what we need to get in the draft is funny to me. We don't know what direction the team is going to go in before free agency begins. Just sit back and relax until March 9.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Which is why I think all this talk about what we need to get in the draft is funny to me. We don't know what direction the team is going to go in before free agency begins. Just sit back and relax until March 9.
But then what are we going to argue and debate about? :dwillhuh:

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia

I agree bruh. I think Weddle still has some game left and if he gives us two good years I would be happy. I'm not too keen on taking a corner in the top 5 unless he's Deion and we haven't seen one of those in years The two best corners in football the last decade (Revis Sherman) were drafted in the late 1st and the 5th and even a guy like Norman was drafted in the 5th too so it's proven that you can find your shutdown corner late in the draft. Stick with the best player available (which I don't think is Ramsey at number 4) and go from there.

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA
"Good teams don't build through FA"

Pats signed Browner and Revis. How'd they do?

Broncos signed Talib, Ware, Ward, Sanders. How'd they do?

There's no question you don't get the core of your franchise through FA. But you can def find championship pieces there. It's bullshyt to say otherwise.
Not to mention other starters like Owen Daniels, Evan Mathis, and Darian Stewart.

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
"Good teams don't build through FA"

Pats signed Browner and Revis. How'd they do?

Broncos signed Talib, Ware, Ward, Sanders. How'd they do?

There's no question you don't get the core of your franchise through FA. But you can def find championship pieces there. It's bullshyt to say otherwise.

True...but that's more SUPPLEMENTING what you already have in place. "Building" is done thru the draft. The teams that spend the most in FA very rarely do very well. Younger (read: cheaper) players are found in the draft. Once you get to FA, you're USUALLY (over)paying for past exploits.

The two teams you mentioned, with those said players were supplements...additions to already strong teams. Pats already had a damn good roster (and lost both those players ironically lol) and the Broncos had a damn solid defense (mostly drafted) and a pre injury Manning...those additions put them over the top rather than being the core or identity. Not trying to argue or come at anybody but the essence of what I said still stands...good teams don't BUILD thru FA...they supplement the talent that's already there (from previous drafts and such)

That said...I wouldn't mind a supplement of a vet CB and DE if possible...maybe a vet "bridge" QB as well

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Jalen Ramsey (another corner with lack of ints)
I'm not a Boys fan but why does this matter so much? Darby had 2 his entire 3 yrs at FSU now look at him. One of the top young DBs this past season. Jalen was WAY more explosive and disruptive as him his entire career. Had over 20 some odd passes defensed, excellent blitzer, great tackler, and plays nasty. Has all the things you'd want. He'd easily be y'alls 1st/2nd best DB

Akata Man Bromo

Still learning....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade/Broward
I'm not a Boys fan but why does this matter so much? Darby had 2 his entire 3 yrs at FSU now look at him. One of the top young DBs this past season. Jalen was WAY more explosive and disruptive as him his entire career. Had over 20 some odd passes defensed, excellent blitzer, great tackler, and plays nasty. Has all the things you'd want. He'd easily be y'alls 1st/2nd best DB
I'm saying.... i'm not sure many of these cats seen him play much

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps
It matters because our defense is in major need of playmakers. Last season, we tied an NFL record for fewest turnovers. Our starting corners had 0 interceptions the entire season and our number 1 corner, who we pay 10m a year and is guaranteed more money annually than sherm haden and peterson, hasnt had an interception since 2012.

If a player didnt get ints in college, why should we believe he will get ints in the NFL.

Are you familiar with Morris Claiborne? In 2012 he was touted as the best CB in the draft hands down and was the best defensive player in college. We moved up to 6 to get him, and hes been such a disappointment that he wont get a 2nd contract from us.

Ghpstface

Kanye West fan
Daps
Reppin
Ice Cream Castle
We dodged a big bullet with Randle. Hope he gets some help. :wow:

Former Dallas Cowboys running back Joseph Randle was arrested Sunday for the fifth time in 17 months and the third time since being dropped by the NFL team in November.

Police apprehended Randle in his hometown of Wichita, Kansas, on three charges of aggravated battery, one count of drug possession and one count of criminal property damage.

On February 1, Randle was arrested on a speeding charge after showing up at the home of an ex-girlfriend near Dallas, taken into custody after an outstanding misdemeanor warrant was discovered.

Ex-Cowboy rusher arrested for fifth time in 17 months
fukk wrong w/ this nikka man :wtf: