Countdown to Elliot: Dallas Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Teams still aren't drafting safeties that high...

Only one I can remember in recent memory that went upper half of 1st was Mark Barron. And he was total bust.

Dudes like Clinton Dix, Calvin Prior, Harrison Smith, etc. All went past top 10. Even into the 2nd round.
My point was it don't matter as much with the rookie salary cap if teams wanted a safety or guard which I see you left out cause you know a few went top 10 lol

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps
You know what it is. nikkas talking bout safety with the 5th pick like hes Sean Taylor or something.
This. The breh DalMem is basically saying get Ramsey and anyone else we discuss is a bust :mjlol:

I told brehs right after the GB playoff game that I want Wilcox off this team asap, so of course I want a new FS, but getting Ramsey means putting Byron at corner where he doesnt look that great

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Some of you guys are so terrified of drafting a certain position or are convinced certain players are already busts, you've convinced yourself that Jalen Ramsey is the second coming of Earl Thomas.

It's ludicrous to select a Safety in the top 10. Same with Guard. Teams get clowned for it. Historically it's never been good value or worth the pick. You can almost always trade down and get a quality S or G.

For every Sean Taylor or Ed Reed or Earl Thomas, there's about 10 Roy Williams or Taylor Mays or Mark Barrons.

But I'll let you guys tell it. Jalen Ramsey is going to come in here and start QBing our defense and set the world on fire while ALL the other players you dislike will be out the league in 4 years.

Houston is styling all over Florida State defense right now :mjlol:

I'm going to need Ramsey to not get hit with a wide receiver reverse pass for a touchdown...if people are talking about him being some great safety or corner for us...

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
He looked great against bad competition, and looked god awful against a terrible Auburn defense.
That happens with a lot of cats honestly pro and college. Maybe he is a bad choice I just can't say off of one game to take him or not. Maybe you are different than me on this but I don't watch these cats games like that. I watch all LSU games and after that I just watch other teams depending on if the game is good or nothing is on tv when I'm at home/gym. That's why for the most part I leave the scouting to,cats that put way more time into this than my ass does lol

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This. The breh DalMem is basically saying get Ramsey and anyone else we discuss is a bust :mjlol:

I told brehs right after the GB playoff game that I want Wilcox off this team asap, so of course I want a new FS, but getting Ramsey means putting Byron at corner where he doesnt look that great

The only thing I'm against is drafting any of these QBs in this weak QB Class with a top 5 pick.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
My point was it don't matter as much with the rookie salary cap if teams wanted a safety or guard which I see you left out cause you know a few went top 10 lol
Rookie salary been in place for 5 drafts now.

Outside of Mark Barron and Brandon Scherff, what S and Gs gave been taken top 10 last 5 years? I don't think anybody else. Even if you find 1, that's 3 in 5 years.

You telling me to get with the times and have no idea what you're even talking about.

In fact, David Decastro and Zach Martin were amazing college players and prospects who fell out of top 10 because teams didn't want to take them that high.

In fact, Safety was taken higher BEFORE the new rookie wages than they are now. Roy Williams, Sean Taylor, Laron Landry. All top 10.

Since? Mark Barron and that's it. In fact, a lot of teams are saying fukk Safety and just drafting corners now to match up with opposing TEs and transform into safety. Dallas with Byron Jones, NE with Devin McCourty, Buffalo uses Stephon Gilmore similarly although he is still a corner.

So nah, ain't shyt changed. Teams aren't any more open to taking S OR G in the top 10. Remind me where Landon Collins, Kenny Vaccaro, Clinton Dix, Decastro, and Martin were taken?

All top S/G prospects of their respective class.

Ashyneezz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What's up with Myles Jack? Heard on The Fan someone wanted him. And saw one mock that had us taking him

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Kansas City shouldn't have drafted Eric Berry with a top 5 pick brehs. :mjlol:
Never said that. Just that historically it's been a losing proposition to pull that move.

Outside of Sean Taylor and Eric Berry, name me one other Safety taken top 10 in the last 20 years who paid off.

Two hits in over two decades. There's a reason why only 1 safety has been taken in the last few drafts in the 1st round. And usually in the back half of the round.

Safeties are reliant on their corners to a large extent. Berry has Sean Smith and Marcus Peters. Earl has/had Sherman and Browner/Maxwell.

We draft Ramsey and his biggest plays will he tackling the guy that caught the ball on our bum ass outside corners.

Ramsey may be an elite player, but he's no quick fix. The guys in the secondary that play in front of him are complete trash outside OScan.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
For the record I'm not necessarily against drafting Ramsey. I don't have the clairvoyance some of you seem to possess to be able to definitively say who will be elite and who will be a bust.

But I know that we have 1 starting safety on this team in Byron, but not a single starting outside Corner.

We take Ramsey and load up at safety and teams will still rape our corners all day long while Byron and Jalen come up to make the tackle.