Countdown to Elliot: Dallas Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I don't understand all this "none of the qb's in this draft are elite"...uh...when is that ever the case? Who was the last qb you saw in college and said "this guy is a can't miss prospect and will be great." In the last decade the only guy I can think of is Andrew Luck...a lot of people had RG III as a can't miss prospect...how is that working out...?

The cowboys need to be doing two things going forward at the QB position...they need to go get a REAL backup QB that can win games...like Hasselbeck...like McCown, who have at least had some success in the past and actually won games...guys who can still actually win some games at the QB position...or if they are not going to do that they need to draft a QB and say "this is the guy we will have in our system until Romo retires or get's hurt and he is going to get at least one full season as a starter with us"

That way if Romo get's hurt again...and i am betting on him getting hurt again and missing extensive time before his career is over...you got a real backup who can really win games or you are playing a young qb you drafted so you can find out if he is really the guy or not...because this year was just an entire fukking waste...there was no way in hell Weeden was going to win shyt here...he is fukking awful...there was no way in hell Cassell was going to win shyt here...he couldn't even beat out a guy in Buffalo who didn't even have a 100 passing yards for his career...

Denver is a perfect example of how to do it...came into the season with superbowl aspirations...Manning plays like trash and gets hurt...those hopes go out the window...but since they drafted brock they at least get to find out if he can really be the qb for them going forward...so at least they get to sit down at the end of the year and have a realistic conversation about the qb going forward for them...

And no Kellen Moore is not the answer...this dude is shaped liked a 16 year old kid...can he even see over the linemen? Can he even throw a football 40 yards? 30 yards? I'd rather them play Showers than Moore...and Showers isn't the answer either...cause if he was...he wouldn't have been playing on special teams in the preseason...

I'd rather draft a QB than to find a good backup QB...cause there are only maybe 4 in the entire league and I doubt any of them want to play in Dallas or we even have the money to sign them...

I don't see a reason to draft a defensive lineman...Lawrence had a break out year and that is with him getting almost no help from Crawford or an DT...shyt that Irving dude we signed might have been our best DT this year...and if Hardy leaves I am fine with putting Gregory in his spot at end...I would feel very comfortable moving forward with Lawrence and Gregory after what Lawrence did this year...don't think we need a stud DT just some that don't get pushed off the ball every other play...

Cornerback...we don't even play press man coverage so it is impossible to know if a corner can come here and be good or not...I am weary of taking any CB...like Hargraves...who's primary skill is playing press man...I am weary at taking a guy who has a talent that our defensive scheme doesn't utilize very much...and Scandrick will be back next year...carr was a press corner...claiborne was a press corner...neither worked out and a big reason for it is that we don't utilize what their best skill is...

Safeties...Wilcox and Church have been bad to average since they been here...but if the idea is to get someone better than them I'd rather do that with free agency and not a draft pick...the learning curve for safeties is STEEP...whoever we get in the draft as a rookie is going to be a lot worse than what church and wilcox are right now...and I think Jones is going to be a really good safety going forward...hopefully free safety...

Draft a QB...draft a WR cause T Will has GOT to go...anything else will be gravy...we don't take a QB this year or next year...when Romo retire we going to have the corpse of fukking Geno Smith or Blaine Gabbert under center wasting the last of Dez prime and the middle of our Oline prime...

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps
I don't understand all this "none of the qb's in this draft are elite"...uh...when is that ever the case? Who was the last qb you saw in college and said "this guy is a can't miss prospect and will be great." In the last decade the only guy I can think of is Andrew Luck...a lot of people had RG III as a can't miss prospect...how is that working out...?

The cowboys need to be doing two things going forward at the QB position...they need to go get a REAL backup QB that can win games...like Hasselbeck...like McCown, who have at least had some success in the past and actually won games...guys who can still actually win some games at the QB position...or if they are not going to do that they need to draft a QB and say "this is the guy we will have in our system until Romo retires or get's hurt and he is going to get at least one full season as a starter with us"

That way if Romo get's hurt again...and i am betting on him getting hurt again and missing extensive time before his career is over...you got a real backup who can really win games or you are playing a young qb you drafted so you can find out if he is really the guy or not...because this year was just an entire fukking waste...there was no way in hell Weeden was going to win shyt here...he is fukking awful...there was no way in hell Cassell was going to win shyt here...he couldn't even beat out a guy in Buffalo who didn't even have a 100 passing yards for his career...

Denver is a perfect example of how to do it...came into the season with superbowl aspirations...Manning plays like trash and gets hurt...those hopes go out the window...but since they drafted brock they at least get to find out if he can really be the qb for them going forward...so at least they get to sit down at the end of the year and have a realistic conversation about the qb going forward for them...

And no Kellen Moore is not the answer...this dude is shaped liked a 16 year old kid...can he even see over the linemen? Can he even throw a football 40 yards? 30 yards? I'd rather them play Showers than Moore...and Showers isn't the answer either...cause if he was...he wouldn't have been playing on special teams in the preseason...

I'd rather draft a QB than to find a good backup QB...cause there are only maybe 4 in the entire league and I doubt any of them want to play in Dallas or we even have the money to sign them...

I don't see a reason to draft a defensive lineman...Lawrence had a break out year and that is with him getting almost no help from Crawford or an DT...shyt that Irving dude we signed might have been our best DT this year...and if Hardy leaves I am fine with putting Gregory in his spot at end...I would feel very comfortable moving forward with Lawrence and Gregory after what Lawrence did this year...don't think we need a stud DT just some that don't get pushed off the ball every other play...

Cornerback...we don't even play press man coverage so it is impossible to know if a corner can come here and be good or not...I am weary of taking any CB...like Hargraves...who's primary skill is playing press man...I am weary at taking a guy who has a talent that our defensive scheme doesn't utilize very much...and Scandrick will be back next year...carr was a press corner...claiborne was a press corner...neither worked out and a big reason for it is that we don't utilize what their best skill is...

Safeties...Wilcox and Church have been bad to average since they been here...but if the idea is to get someone better than them I'd rather do that with free agency and not a draft pick...the learning curve for safeties is STEEP...whoever we get in the draft as a rookie is going to be a lot worse than what church and wilcox are right now...and I think Jones is going to be a really good safety going forward...hopefully free safety...

Draft a QB...draft a WR cause T Will has GOT to go...anything else will be gravy...we don't take a QB this year or next year...when Romo retire we going to have the corpse of fukking Geno Smith or Blaine Gabbert under center wasting the last of Dez prime and the middle of our Oline prime...
Thank You Breh. I agree with all of this except a Rookie Safety being better than Church and Wilcox. Shyt Wilcox as a rookie>>> this years Wilcox.

Draft a dam QB and let him sit and learn. Too many fans are worried about the now rather than the future.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
Dez getting surgery on his foot and ankle :dahell:
Not a shock. I was laughing at people on CZ deluding themselves by saying "if he's cleared, he's cleared". I knew he wasn't ready to play and I knew that injury wasn't healed. What an absolute joke of an organization to allow this. It's usually a 10 week injury at minimum and he came back in seven weeks.

Last edited:

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Not a shock. I was laughing at people on CZ deluding themselves by saying "if he's cleared, he's cleared". I knew he wasn't ready to play and I knew that injury wasn't healed. What an absolute joke of an organization to allow this. It's usually a 10 week injury at minimum and he came in week in seven weeks.

Unreal.. wow

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Not a shock. I was laughing at people on CZ deluding themselves by saying "if he's cleared, he's cleared". I knew he wasn't ready to play and I knew that injury wasn't healed. What an absolute joke of an organization to allow this. It's usually a 10 week injury at minimum and he came back in seven weeks.

These are the type of things that worry me way more than who we draft. Anybody watching games could tell Dez was not healthy. The second Romo was hurt you HAVE to sit Dez either until he is completely healthy or until Romo comes back...you don't risk it with your all world receiver that you just gave a huge contract for...

And to top it off...fukking Garrett said that this surgery Dez is having has nothing to do with his earlier injury...because doctors cleared Dez to play...:martin:...are you fukking kidding me...this dude couldn't run full speed...couldn't even come out of his breaks properly on routes...but doctors "cleared him to play":martin:

Drafting isn't the problem with this team...it's the blunders like this and the stuff going on in the front office and us having the worst punt and kickoff coverage in the nfl for the 3rd year in a row that is killing this team...

lightskin jermaine

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Antonio
dez should have been shut down after he had the 1st surgery. i heard on the radio romo and jerry were weighing the options of romo getting a plate screwed on his collarbone or letting it heal on its own. uhh, he should have been had a plate on there. pride has been this teams downfall.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
goff in the first round or draft another position. i don't see the hype with lynch.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water

On one hand I agree, you invest the kind of resources that we did into the secondary (two picks for Claiborne, 50 million for Carr) you expect to utilize a defense to maximize their strengths. But on the other hand I feel those guys are exactly what they look like. Carr doesn't have the speed or hip flexibility to play press man, and neither does Claiborne.

And this I disagree with. I don't know how the numbers align but going off the eye test Landon Collins' play exceeded or at least was on par with Church and Wilcox. The idea that a player who actually played the position extensively in college can't come in on Day 1 and out play a safety-convert like Wilcox is crazy to me.